Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do i assign an income / expense category to an investment transaction?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
On occasion, it would be useful to assign an income category to a transaction in an investment account -- example:  if one got a monetary gift that they deposited directly to an investment account. There does not appear to be a direct way to do this in Quicken. I have set up an "income log" that I use as a "clearing" account. I enter the gift and categorize it as such and then create an offsetting entry to transfer said gift to the investment account. The clearing account is now zero, but I can't figure out whether there is double counting when I generate reports, especially if I show internal transfers. Is there an easier and less obtuse way to do this?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    In Q'2011, if you enter the transaction as a Deposit in an investment account, you can then set a category, don't know which version you are using.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Expanding on splasher's reply:

Quicken investment accounts have had "Cash Transactions" for quite a few versions now (since at least Q2004).

Investment account Cash transactions allow you to assign the category of your choice.

Scroll down to the bottom of the "Enter transaction" list in the "Enter Transactions" dialog.
This discussion has been closed.