Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why am I getting the error message "The resulting value is too big. Please enter items in more than

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited June 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Using Quicken 2010 and trying to remove shares from an investment.

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Well there might be a maxium number of shares or dollars Quicken can handle.  I forget what it is.  Maybe more than 6 digits.  So try splitting your Remove Shares transaction into 2 Remove Shares transactions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    volvogirl said:

Well there might be a maxium number of shares or dollars Quicken can handle.  I forget what it is.  Maybe more than 6 digits.  So try splitting your Remove Shares transaction into 2 Remove Shares transactions.

After much hair loss (from tearing at it), I found a simple "fix".  I was seeing this on a buy of an existing security.  I went to the previous sell, changed from FIFO to LIFO, entered, then went back and reversed it.  Presto, no more error message.  (Don't ask, Quicken has a lot of these old bugs.)

(Note: I also entered this comment as an answer on a more recent report of a similar problem.)
This discussion has been closed.