Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Different securities are downloading with same name. They're from different FIs and have different p

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited May 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I have accounts with 2 different institutions, that both have an S&P index fund that they name "S & P 500". The price of each is different. When I do a download, Quicken updates the holding in the right account, but updates the price in both. Previously I was handling one account manually, so I just modified the name, but now I want to download both automatically, and Quicken only accepts the name from the FI.

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    They should each have a different stock/fund symbol.  You must have typed the same symbol in for them.
  • Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    You will have to have two different securities with two different Quicken names, in Quicken. And they must have different ticker symbols.

Edit the existing security in your Security List. Uncheck the box, "Matched with online security".

Decide which of the downloaded securities you want to link to your existing Quicken security.

Go to the Online Center, select the account where that security is held, click the "Holdings" tab, then "Compare to portfolio". When Quicken asks what to do with the problematic security, tell Quicken to use the existing security name.

Then, again in the Online Center; chose the other financial institution, click its "Holdings" tab and click "Compare to portfolio". This time, when asked, tell Quicken to create a new security (you should get the option to assign it a name, but if not, you can change its name later).

[If you already have created two different Quicken securities, uncheck the "matched with online security" box for both, then use the same procedure as above, but choose the correct existing security name each time ... in other words, don't create any new security.]
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

You will have to have two different securities with two different Quicken names, in Quicken. And they must have different ticker symbols.

Edit the existing security in your Security List. Uncheck the box, "Matched with online security".

Decide which of the downloaded securities you want to link to your existing Quicken security.

Go to the Online Center, select the account where that security is held, click the "Holdings" tab, then "Compare to portfolio". When Quicken asks what to do with the problematic security, tell Quicken to use the existing security name.

Then, again in the Online Center; chose the other financial institution, click its "Holdings" tab and click "Compare to portfolio". This time, when asked, tell Quicken to create a new security (you should get the option to assign it a name, but if not, you can change its name later).

[If you already have created two different Quicken securities, uncheck the "matched with online security" box for both, then use the same procedure as above, but choose the correct existing security name each time ... in other words, don't create any new security.]

In line with the other answers you have received, there is no requirement that the name you assign to a security in Quicken has to match the name the FI uses.  What is critical is that you get the Matched to Online Security properly established.
This discussion has been closed.