Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

stock quantity in account overview incorrect

funkws
funkws Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in Investing (Windows)

The number of shares for a stock transaction changes depending on the date selected for the account overview. This results in a mismatch with downloaded information from the broker. In my case, I bought 100 shares of a stock in January 2007. The quantity is correcty displayed in 2007. In an account overview selected for 2008 and later years, that transaction shows that 99.9997 shares were bought. The transaction entry contains the correct data. Are there any known bugs in this area that can address this? It is occurring on almost every stock. Although this does not significantly change the value of my stock holdings, Quicken asks for placeholder data every time I access the account.

Comments

• Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

If you create an Investing > Transactions report for the one security for all dates and you do not find any unwanted/incorrect transactions, try deleting the Buy transaction and re-entering it. And when you enter the Buy transaction, make sure you enter the number of shares and the total cost - and let Quicken compute the price/share.
  • funkws
    funkws Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019

If you create an Investing > Transactions report for the one security for all dates and you do not find any unwanted/incorrect transactions, try deleting the Buy transaction and re-entering it. And when you enter the Buy transaction, make sure you enter the number of shares and the total cost - and let Quicken compute the price/share.

I checked the purchase transaction and confirmed it has the correct information for the original purchase.  Again, let me note the the issue is the original qualtity is adjusted on the account overview report.  I did a little checking and found several other stocks with the same issue - the original quantity is adjusted when viewed through the account overview.  This seems to be driven by the date selected for the account summary, so I experimented with different dates.  All of the stocks show the same issue when the date is set to 1/18/2009 or greater.  All stock quantites are correct on 1/17/2009 and before.  The stock purchases occurred over multiple years, so it appears to be related to some calculations internal to Quicken rather than bad data in the transactions.  It is easy to spot, since I buy stock in round lots - so as soon as the original lot shows a fraction instead of an integer, the issue is obvious.
  • Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

The suggestion was not to "check" the existing transaction; but to delete the existing transaction and re-enter it.
  • funkws
    funkws Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019

I went back to reenter the transaction and found some placeholders in the log.  I am not sure what triggered these, but deleting them allowed the account overview report to show correct lot information regardless of the date selected.
    Thanks for your help.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

One way for placeholders to get into the data is when Quicken compares its holdings to the brokerages holdings and finds a discrepancy.  Quicken then offers to enter a placeholder to account for the discrepancy on that date.  My policy is to not accept such offers.
This discussion has been closed.