Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Why can I no longer use cash balance in 403(b) account to buy shares?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2019 in Investing (Windows)

My paycheck is set up to transfer funds into my 403(b) account. I enter or download transactions to buy shares of securities in my account using the cash balance in the account. This has worked well for over 15 years. Now, the transactions won't use the cash balance. The option in the transaction wizard no longer offers the option to select "use cash balance". Why not? What is broken all of a sudden?

Comments

• Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

It sounds like you have one or more placeholders in the account.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions. Put a check mark in "Show hidden transactions".

Then look in your investment account Transaction List for one or more entries with an Action value of "Entry". Those are placeholders, and a placeholder will prevent any transaction it affects from changing the cash balance in the account. Placeholders affect transactions for the security named in the placeholder, dated on or before the date of the placeholder.

You can delete the placeholder and you should then be able to enter transactions that affect the cash balance for the security named in the placeholder. But you should probably determine why your Quicken holdings differ from the holdings downloaded from your financial institution, since that is generally what causes Quicken to offer placeholders (which you can also refuse to Accept, when offered).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2019

It sounds like you have one or more placeholders in the account.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions. Put a check mark in "Show hidden transactions".

Then look in your investment account Transaction List for one or more entries with an Action value of "Entry". Those are placeholders, and a placeholder will prevent any transaction it affects from changing the cash balance in the account. Placeholders affect transactions for the security named in the placeholder, dated on or before the date of the placeholder.

You can delete the placeholder and you should then be able to enter transactions that affect the cash balance for the security named in the placeholder. But you should probably determine why your Quicken holdings differ from the holdings downloaded from your financial institution, since that is generally what causes Quicken to offer placeholders (which you can also refuse to Accept, when offered).

Thanks. That did the trick. However, it did add a "balancing cash adjustment" for each of the 30+ transactions. They had to be manually deleted. Fun times.
This discussion has been closed.