Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Security Quantities in Investing/Portfolio Value Reports don't match Amounts in Holdings

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2019 in Investing (Windows)

I am attempting to reconcile Stock/Mutual Fund Quantities between Quicken and my Brokerage Account. When I go to my Brokerage Account in Quicken and select "Holdings" the amounts are the same as what the Brokerage account shows. But when I run an Investing Report (Reports/Investing/Portfolio Value) is shows security quantities that are incorrect and do not match what the Holdings report shows. I have selected the report to include all dates, the proper account and all securities.

For example, my Quicken Holdings for the Brokerage Account will show I own Zero shares of Abbot Labs (9 shares purchased and 9 sold), but the Quicken Investing/Portfolio Value Report shows I own 23 Shares (My Broker also shows I own Zero Shares). Very oddly, when I drill down on the report, it shows 7 shares purchased and 7 sold (if I can still do math in my head, that is Zero...). Going back to the main report still shows 23 shares owned. This of course throws off my total values and makes me question the results of my investing reports.

I have played with most of the options for the report and still get 23 phantom shares. This is happening in about 10% of my share holdings.

I appreciate any help! Thanks, b

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

You might need to validate the file, including the rebuild lots option. Conventional wisdom says to validate a copy of the file rather than the original. File -- File Operations -- Validate and Repair

I also recall issues users have had with short positions - sometimes unintentionally. Case I recall was something like the user having a long position and a same sized short position netting to zero shares. User should have used a CvrShrt transaction as I recall but had instead purchased the shares. Not sure that would apply to you, but you might look at it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2019

You might need to validate the file, including the rebuild lots option. Conventional wisdom says to validate a copy of the file rather than the original. File -- File Operations -- Validate and Repair

I also recall issues users have had with short positions - sometimes unintentionally. Case I recall was something like the user having a long position and a same sized short position netting to zero shares. User should have used a CvrShrt transaction as I recall but had instead purchased the shares. Not sure that would apply to you, but you might look at it.

All good suggestions and while I had lots of clicks and whirs from the PC, it didn't fix the problem.  I played with it for a few more hours and found that if modified my place holders to occur at the earliest date of any security action, it corrected the problem.  I have no idea why as the math never did make any sense but at least I got it report correctly.  thanks for the help - you got me on a good track.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

"if modified my place holders to occur at the earliest date of any security action, it corrected the problem."

Changing the date of a placeholder does not really make sense.  The purpose of a placeholder is to document that on such-and-such a date, you held so-many shares.  To make them the earliest dated transactions is rather baffling (to me).  My personal policy is to not allow placeholders into my data.  I find the cause of any discrepancy and fix it with real transactions..  

Glad you got your data worked out.
  • Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

If you have placeholders affecting a report, you will usually find a blue link at the foot of the report saying "Placeholder Entries for missing data are used in these calculations. Show me".
    Both "Placeholder" and "Show me" are clickable links that will display helpful information.
    Clicking "Placeholder" will take you to Help for placeholders.
    Clicking "Show me" will show you the specific accounts and securities that have placeholders - in a Portfolio format.

I'm with q.lurker: do not allow placeholders in your data.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2019

I appreciate the help and advice.  I will try to remove the placeholders but there are hundreds of them!   Thanks again
  • Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019

You should be able to delete the placeholders (and any affected transactions) fairly easily.
    Use the Banking > Transactions report. Customize the report to eliminate as many inapplicable transactions as possible.
    Placeholders will have a "Num" value of "*Placeholder". It may not be as easy to find the transactions affected by the placeholder, but they should be there.
    Select all the transactions you want to delete, as you would select multiple files in Windows Explorer. Click the "Edit" button in the report. Select "Delete transaction(s)". If there are many transactions, be prepared to wait.
This discussion has been closed.