Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do I get information input into placeholders transferred when the stock is moved to another acco

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2019 in Investing (Windows)

In account "A" , using historical data for all the previous purchases, I inputted the information into the placeholders so that 0 stocks were unaccounted for. When I look at the holdings in this account on the day before it was closed, the cost basis is displayed. This account was closed and everything transferred to account "B". Holdings in acct "B" on the day of transfer shows the number of shares accurately, but cost basis is 0. How can I correct this? I have tried file validation to no avail. I have "show hidden transactions" checked. I have never downloaded information into the Quicken 2011 Home & Business; everything was inputted manually. Thanks.

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    In what form did the transferred shares show up in Account B? Are they "Add Shares"? If so edit the transaction and add the cost basis and date for each holding transferred.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    WAIT A SEC ... Placeholders are created when the downloaded positions (reported by the FI) don't agree with the positions shown in one's Q investment account ... HOW could you have gotten placeholders without downloading?  They can't be created without 2 values being created, and found to be different.
  • Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Placeholders can be manually entered by the user - they are "Adjust Share Balance" transactions.

But I did have the same question: why placeholders, if not downloading. If you're going to manually enter the transactions to resolve the placeholder; you either never allow/enter the placeholder, or you delete the placeholder first ... then enter the actual transactions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    They show up as "added". Because they were bought at various times, to add the cost basis for each time means redoing the work already done; I was hoping it would transfer.  Thanks though.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    I started manually inputting data into quicken long after the account was actually set up, thus placeholders were made.  Then I followed the instructions in the placeholders to put in historical data.  That information just isn't transfering to account B.  Maybe I should artificially call the opening date of account A as the date of the first purchase of the stock, but don't bother inputting other transactions, as long as I manipulate cash amount to match the statement for the current start date.  Thanks.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    The short answer is to edit the "Added" transactions and enter the cost basis, but honestly I'm having a hard time following what you are doing. If you aren't taking advantage of downloading, you could save yourself a lot of time and just put your paper statements in a file cabinet. Not seeing how Quicken is adding value to investment management.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I believe placeholders will also appear if you supply the total shares owned per security when you first create the account in Quicken.  The user can then later come in a supply the cost basis and acquisition transactions predating the account setup.  The user can create the account on 1/1/14 with 10 shares of A and get a placeholder.  Then the user can later indicate 5 shares were bought or added on 7/11/12 and 5 shares were bought or added on 11/7/10

I would expect the cost basis and acquisition date information to transfer over to the extent available through the Shares Transferred action, but I have not yet tried that through the sequence I just outlined.
  • Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    "I believe placeholders will also appear if you supply the total shares owned per security when you first create the account in Quicken"

I agree. But as I said earlier, there's no need to keep placeholders, if you intend to enter the missing history anyway. Personally, I never give Quicken any information about the securities when setting up a new investment account, so I don't have to bother deleting those initial placeholders.

But I have tested transferring shares that were acquired in a transaction entered to satisfy a placeholder ... shares and cost basis transferred correctly to the new account.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I agree wholeheartedly.  I do not create the initial holdings when I create the account.  I create the account then fill in the holdings with applicable transactions.  

I also confirmed my expectations - Buys and Adds created predating a placeholder get their cost basis and acquisition dates transferred as part of the Shares Transferred macro-transaction.
This discussion has been closed.