Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do I get the gain/loss to show-up in Investment reports?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2019 in Investing (Windows)

In "portfolio" view of report under Investing, the Gain/Loss has a * instead of the actual $ value. Cost basis has been added using Placeholder entries and the total cost shown on this report is correct, however instead of finding the difference between cost and market-value, Quicken puts a *. How do I get Quicken to show me the gain/loss correctly?

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    Delete all PlaceHolders and enter real transactions. Use Edit>Preferences>Investment transactions, select Show Hidden Transactions to make sure you can see them all. Search "placeholders" on this Site for the many reasons not to permanently allow them in your register.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The * indicates that you have one or more placeholders for a given stock.  The placeholder means that a quantity is known, but not the cost of a given lot, so the calculation is not possible.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    So sounds like specifying "average cost" does not help ...all the place holder transactions need to be replaced by actual transactions.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    YES!  But you can put in "summary transactions" (that represent MANY individual transactions), as long as all of the numbers are correct.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    Quicken shows transactions for securities already sold ... no relevance to Retirement account. I am assuming I can ignore those to correct the situation.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    Of course it does.  Because a closed position STILL impacts your returns for the period during which the position was open.
    You need to correct ALL placeholders in any account in which you want the reports to work correctly.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.