Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Plug to get correct investment balances? One step adjustments for investments account which will NO

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)

Greetings,

My investment accounts in Quicken do not agree with the institution's balances for several accounts, both cash and stocks.

I don't care about the history (at this point). I don't care about having to make an adjusting entry.

I simply want the correct balances as easily and quickly as possible.

Does anyone have any counsel fo me?

Thank you.

Tom

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018

There's 2 pieces of data that contribute to the security values. 1) the number of units/shares/etc, and 2) the price of each of them.

You can examine the number of units for each security on the Portfolio screen (CTRL-U). You can examine the prices of each security at CTRL-Y, double click the security name, click Update, and click Edit Price History.

Note that Q's numbers sometimes disagree with those of the FI by a penny or so per security. This is because Q rounds the value to the nearest penny and some FI's truncate. So, in Q, a mathematical value of 123.455 would round to 123.46, while your FI might truncate to 123.45.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

There's 2 pieces of data that contribute to the security values. 1) the number of units/shares/etc, and 2) the price of each of them.

You can examine the number of units for each security on the Portfolio screen (CTRL-U). You can examine the prices of each security at CTRL-Y, double click the security name, click Update, and click Edit Price History.

Note that Q's numbers sometimes disagree with those of the FI by a penny or so per security. This is because Q rounds the value to the nearest penny and some FI's truncate. So, in Q, a mathematical value of 123.455 would round to 123.46, while your FI might truncate to 123.45.

Thank you.  Can you tell me how to update the number of shares?    And can one only correct differences on a stock by stock basis?  Can one just "plug" the entire account?  Thanks again.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Normally, I'd recommend going back, security by security and transaction by transaction, and finding out where you went wrong ... and correcting that.  But, I don't think you'd do that.  SO, use either a Shares Added, or Shares Removed, transaction to adjust the number of shares.
    And yes, it needs to be done security by security.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

Using a current account statement, the op can just enter Adjust Share Balance transactions with the correct number of shares for each security.
    Then insure that the Quicken price history is correct for the date of the statement.
This discussion has been closed.