Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

My Starbucks position is showing an extraordinary gain today. How do I fix it?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)

Today is Starbucks first trading day of the split shares. My account totals are correct (total $ in account), and the share totals are correct (2x yesterday's close). The price is correct also (as I type this, $47.52, which is roughly half of yesterdays trading price). The problem is, the portfolio view is showing a $23.71 gain for today.

It looks like it is taking yesterday's close (the new split price) as the old pre-split price, and then halving that as the post split open. So, stock yesterday was trading at $94.xx, but all the reporting services show it as closing at $47.62. Quicken is using that $47.62 price as the pre split price I guess, and then showing a $23.xx per share gain on the open.

Comments

• Ford Lacy
    Ford Lacy Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I had the same problem with the starbucks split on my account. this is the second time for me that quicken download has produced an incorrect result. the first time it corrupted my data, and the problem won't go away, and I have not yet figured out a way to trick quicken to offset its error. we shall see how long the starbucks error remains in my data.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    I remember a different set of problems with my AAPL split.  I don't know what it is about Intuit and splits, but each time it seems like a different problem.  This time it's different, because yesterdays total values are correct, and today's total values are correct, but my gain today is off by more than 71 x what it should be! Check this in yours: Look at the share price on April 1 vs April 2.  In mine, on April 2 the share price changed to the post split price, but the # of shares are pre-split.  I check this every day, so it must have been retro loaded in this morning's download.  On April 2, my day's loss on ~1000 shares of SBUX was over $40,000! And my transaction history is accurate, so my original buy and dividend reinvestments are at the correct actual prices. So, even though it eventually all washes out in the end, 1) My daily portfolio value is off my ~$46,000 for 7 days (because I show the share totals appropriate for the last week, but the share price is split adjusted) 2) I have one gigantic dip and one gigantic spike 7 days apart, and 3) What am I overlooking? I don't know what detail data to trust.
  • Ford Lacy
    Ford Lacy Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    you are right. my sbux value was cut in half on April 3. today the value was restored. therefore, what they did today corrected the error on the third.  my sbux account now looks like it has the right dollar value and the correct number of shares. this is a mystery. I will look tomorrow and see what happens. fortunately, I don't rely on weekly net worth data, but if I did, it would be wrong last Friday.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I believe you just have to wait. The split and the price change often come through a day apart. Let it settle for a few days, then you can edit the price history and make it right.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    Uh Oh! I just edited the price and volume history and it (seemingly) fixed everything. The weird thing is that the history showed a high/low/close and volume for Friday, April 3rd when the markets were closed. Another weird things is the problem apparently shows up on different days for different people.  In my case, the problem first showed up in today's download, but with history issues (volume and price) going back to April 2nd.  If quicken just corrects the history, it only over writes what I changed, right? So hopefully it's really close..
This discussion has been closed.