Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

What is the new field in Remove Share Transactions?

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)

The field is located in the cell under the "Removed". What is it? What is it used for? It is not listed on the Edit Transaction page.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I don't see what you are referring to.  How about taking a screenshot (Win7 has Snipping Tool) and adding it to your question by clicking on the Edit button in the upper right corner.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The field is used to record a market value associated with the security removed.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sherlock said:

The field is used to record a market value associated with the security removed.

Sherlock, could you post a screenshot, I don't see such a field and I'm looking in QW2015Premier?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sherlock said:

[mention://52079 @splasher] Done.
  • Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Sherlock said:

That field is not new: been there since at least Q2009.
    Never noticed it before reading this discussion.

It's not available when using Enter Transactions, or when Editing (clicking Edit on) an existing transaction.
    Quicken computes the value when you add a Removed Shares transaction ... which you can then modify by keying directly in the field.

[EDIT: But modifying the value doesn't seem to carry over to reports.]
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sherlock said:

Sherlock - thanks
    "It's not available when using Enter Transactions"  Which is where I was looking.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

If you start the transaction entry from the transaction list line as Action = Removed, the Market Value filed is available upon initial entry.

What is it used for? I have not fully explored those ramifications. I believe one aspect is in performance calculations. When you do a Remove Shares transaction, the event appears in the Cap Gains report as a $0 net. That is, as if the shares were sold at their cost basis. That is fine for the cap gains report. It is a 'reminder' that something took place with those shares that the user might have to account for, but does not adversely alter cap gains estimates.

But when looking at performance, removing the shares at cost can be deceiving. Basically, a remove shares represents a 'return' to the owner. If that return is at cost when the fair market value is much higher (or lower) I think both AAR and ROI can be adversely affected. Consider a long term holding that has a cost basis of $1/share, starts this year at a FMV of $100/share, and you then remove the shares to gift them (or for one of several other reasons). You probably don't want Quicken showing your return this year as being a loss of $99/share when the value really did not change.

Other circumstances where Remove shares come into play may not be so adversely affected. Here I am thinking of mergers where Quicken might remove the original shares (at cost) but replace them with other shares with that same total cost basis. In that type of case, the AAR calculation will wash out - same value removed and added, but I am not so sure about other performance measures.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.