Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do I get the proper face value of bonds to show up in my portfolio after entering them properly

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)

When I enter a bond with a face value of $8000 into "buy bonds", instructions say to divide this value by 100 which shows 80 shares.  Purchase price should be listed per $100.  The information comes out properly in the transaction phase, but the bond face value appears in my portfolio as $80,000,000.  How do I get the proper face value in my portfolio?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018

The price per each of those 80 "shares" is expressed as a PERCENTAGE of $100.  So, if the price per bond is $90, you'd enter 0.90 as the "price" of the share.  You're inputting $100 instead of 1
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

The price per each of those 80 "shares" is expressed as a PERCENTAGE of $100.  So, if the price per bond is $90, you'd enter 0.90 as the "price" of the share.  You're inputting $100 instead of 1

I've seen this written about before, and I'm just curious: is there an accounting/bookkeeping reason for doing it this way? Why wouldn't Quicken allow you to simply enter 1 bond for $8,000? Just curious if this is a bug or an intentional way of tracking bonds. (My bond investments are via mutual funds, so I haven't had to deal with this myself.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • NotACPA
    edited December 2016

OR, 8 bonds for $1000 each, since that's the customary face value of a single bond.  And, still price them as a percentage of  $100, so a bond priced at .90 would be worth $900. I.E., the same way that the investment industry does it.
  • NotACPA
    edited December 2016

That should have been "90% of face", or $90.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016

Thanks NotACPA, just what I needed to learn.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016

Your solution does not work with the instructions Quicken includes for buying a bond.  If the face value of the bond is $8000, instructions are to divide that number by 100 which gives you 80 Quicken shares.  If the total purchase price of the $8000 bond is $2400, in order to get the price per $100, one must divide 80 into $2400 which is 30.  The portfolio lists the face value of this bond as $80,000,000.  I think the program is screwed up.  I wish I could speak to a tech person directly,  No one has given me a satisfactory solution.  I guess no one has bonds in their portfolios.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

You want to call in?  Contact Quicken Customer Support Chat at http://www.quicken.com/contact-us
    OR call 888-311-7276 5am-5pm Pacific time Monday - Friday
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

EDITED:
    Support Article on entering Bonds
    http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/investing/how-to-add-a-bond-to-the-quicken-security-list/GEN82370.html
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

I'm having a similar problem. I bought zero coupon bonds 12 years ago with a face value of, let's say, $50,000, but the purchase price was half that. Per instructions, I entered 500 shares with a share price of $50, and that produces $25,000 purchase price. Today, Quicken2016 says those shares have a current value of $250, with a net reduction in portfolio value of $-49,750. Where did it get that? There is no ticker for this security, and that value makes the total for the portfolio way off. How do I fix this?
  • NotACPA
    edited December 2016

Do CTRL-Y, click on the Security name, click UPDATE, and click Edit Price History.  It sounds like you've gotten a screwy price in there somehow.
This discussion has been closed.