Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Corporate Spinoff of Hewlett-Packard to HP Inc. and Hewlett Packard Enterprise does not convert ESPP

mycardtwo
mycardtwo Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in Investing (Windows)

Hewlett-Packard spun off to HP Inc. and Hewlett Packard Enterprise on Nov 1.  I have all shares that I currently own in an ESPP account, however, Quicken differentiates the shares by Type - "ESPP" for those purchased at 15% discount and "Stock" for dividend reinvestment.

1. I did a corporate name change from Hewlett-Packard to HP Inc. as of 10/31 (to keep the txn separate from others listed below.).  All transactions got their names updated as expected to "HP Inc." and "HP Inc. ESPP."

2. Next, I entered the corporate spinoff transaction.  I put this in dated 11/1 (Sunday) because I wanted to keep the original pricing prior to spinoff ($26.96) separate from pricing on 11/2.  One share of Hewlett Packard Enterprise priced at $13.48 for each share of (now) HP Inc.  The transactions for all dividend reinvestment shares all got split into two - one RtrnCap for HP Inc. and one Bought for Hewlett Packard Enterprise at 50% of the dollar amount.  The total number of shares for each of the new entities is correct.

However, nothing at all happened for any of the HP Inc. ESPP shares.  Note that the ticker for both is HPQ.  I did not enter the HPE ticker for Hewlett Packard Enterprise until I completed the above.

I've seen several entries in the Community recommending manually entering the spinoff transactions.  My records go back to 2002, so if anyone has a recommendation I would appreciate it.

Yes, I did back up Quicken before doing any of this. 

This might be moot because all of the remaining ESPP shares are well out of the 2 year retention period.

Comments

• Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    A "Search the community" for "hewlett" (no quotes) would have found this discussion: http://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/how-to-record-the-hewlett-packard-split

I think that discussion has the basics.
    But I don't think that some of the special Quicken investment transactions (such as ESPP) are necessarily treated the same by Quicken.
  • mycardtwo
    mycardtwo Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Yes, I saw that entry, but did not want to do the manual grunt work. For what it's worth, I redid the corporate spinoff on a backup using $13.48 as the price for both companies.  The price for HPQ I used above is wrong.  I only had a handfull of ESPP txns, so I edited the existing ones to half price and added new ones for HP Enterprise also at half the cost with dates equal to the original txns...
This discussion has been closed.