BALANCE SHEET (aka Net Worth, Accts Summary) or cash flow statement (aka Income Statement, P&L) (25)

Just upgraded from Quicken for Mac 2007 to Mac 2016 and converted files, can't find my saved reports from 2007, can I do a BALANCE SHEET (aka Net Worth aka Accounts Summary) or cash flow statement (aka Income Statement aka Profit & Loss (P&L)) in 2016?

I use Quicken because of flexible reporting. 2007 was great. Does 2016 have same functionality?

---------------------------

To track these 2 reports separately, this thread will track the Balance Sheet report.
 Click VOTE at the top of THIS page, so your vote will count for THIS report type.

The following will be used to track the Income Statement report. You can add your VOTE for the 
Income Statement (Income vs Expenses) aka Cash Flow aka Profit & Loss (P&L) type report.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

Also click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

-----------------------------

It turns out that both these types of report are simply a subset or application of a Columnar Summary report, which apply varying a sort, subtotal, grouping, show applicable number of columns as needed.

Therefore, you should also add your VOTE for the add your votes for Columnar Summary report (with selectable choices for rows and columns)

While you are at it, I highly recommend you to add your VOTES to related IDEAS found on the:Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 
Your VOTES matter!

For background, you may want to read this post too. BTW, the columnar-type summary report is the basis for MANY other reports too, as described in detail in this post and a little lower; only the selection and formatting criteria are different.

2 votes

No Status · Last Updated

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26
    Unfortunately, reporting capabilities are less developed in QM2016. As a result reports in QM2007 are not carried over. 

You can add your VOTE for the Ability to carry forward report formats from other versions.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Report Related Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited December 2016

Unfortunately, reporting capabilities are less developed in QM2016. As a result reports in QM2007 are not carried over. 

You can add your VOTE for the Ability to carry forward report formats from other versions.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Report Related Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find that QM2016 does not meet your needs and if you have the Lion Compatible (LC) version of the alternative is to continue to use QM2007. Otherwise, you can obtain and run QM2007 (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.11 El Capitan (so far) by contacting Quicken support here: http://www.quicken.com/contact-us. Be sure to select Quicken for Mac, Quicken 2007 for Lion, Shopping and Buying, Buying Quicken to avoid a tech support fee. They may charge you $15 for the software.
    NOTE: Since you purchased QM2016, you can get QM2007 for FREE. Just select QM2016 support instead.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• JC5JC5 Member
    edited July 2016

Thanks - I have 2007 and am happy to keep using it - but I realise that the day will come when it is not longer usable with the latest Mac OS. I find it incredibly disappointing that Intuit can "upgrade" Quicken after 5 years and, in the process, delete the feature that I have found the best - over more that a decade of use - i.e. the flexible reporting feature. To not be able to construct a balance sheet is simply absurd for an accounting package. I will use something else from now on.
  • RtangRtang Member
    edited December 2016

I believe that if you are going to continue to use QM2007 you need to have version 16.2.3 and OS X 10.9 or later.  This since the cCritical Service Announcement on the new security standards.
    edited December 2016

Keep in mind tat Quicken 2016 for Mac is a brand new product built from the ground up (starting in 2010) and is NOT a continuation from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials, so there are some features that are still not there or are not as fully developed yet. That is why some important reports are not there yet. Hopefully they will be there sooner rather than later for the very reasons you mention.

edited December 2016

[mention://37645 @rtang] since this user already has Mac OS X 10.10, the only thing to consider is having v16.2.3 IF they need to use connected services. Otherwise, they are good to go.

• RtangRtang Member
    edited December 2016

Right.  I was concerned that the post you used needs to be updated to reflect the change caused by that announcement.  Thanks
  • JC5JC5 Member
    edited July 2016

Thanks guys. I have 16.2.3 so I am good to keep going. My disappointment is that I was not aware that 2016 was an extension of Essentials. I bought Essentials a few years back and ditched it immediately as total junk. The offer I received via email indicated that 2016 was an update of 2007, which it is not. Again, I have bought a Quicken product that I will junk immediately. False advertising in my view and certainly not going to endear me to Intuit.
  • davedave Member
    edited July 2016

Ditto.  I just discovered this omission after spending a lot of time and effort converting over to Quicken 2016 for Mac.  I think this is a deal killer.
  • brucebruce Member
    edited July 2016

If I had known that I would lose all my reports and the ability to even print a balance sheet -- a simple balance sheet! -- I would never have bought the upgrade. I waited 9 years to upgrade because the reviews were so relentlessly negative. I wish I had switched to a competitor's product.
    edited December 2016

@bruce you can still opt to continue to use QM2007. What version of Mac OS X are you using?

• brucebruce Member
    edited July 2016

[mention://232630 @smayer97] I appreciate your positivity in the face of my disappointment. I am running Mac OS 10.10.5. The version of QM2007 that I re-downloaded does not run on this OS. Should I download a different build of QM2007? If not, can I get my money back for Quicken 2016? My accountant is telling me I'll have to upgrade to Quickbooks in order to create a simple balance sheet. When doing research, I didn't see anything explaining that if I wanted a simple balance sheet, I must purchase Quickbooks instead of the now-less-functional Quicken 2016.
    edited December 2016

See the post here: http://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/how-can-i-get-quicken-for-mac-2007-rd2eywilthsnk

edited January 26
    You can now VOTE for the feature to carry forward report formats from other versions, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-the-ability-to-carry-forward-report-formats-...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of THAT feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

edited August 2018
    I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

This will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade by seeking to have the features you are used to in QM2007 end up in the latest version.

To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

edited January 27
    It turns out that these types of report are simply a subset or application of a Columnar report, which apply varying a sort, subtotal, grouping, show applicable number of columns as needed, as described here.

You can add your VOTE for the Columnar Summary reportYou may also want to add your vote to each of the components that make up the essential related report features described here.

First
    , click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers. Your VOTE matters!

BTW, the columnar-type summary report is the basis for MANY other reports, as described in detail in this post; only the selection and formatting criteria are different.

edited December 2017

It turns out that these types of report are simply a subset or application of a Columnar report, which apply varying a sort, subtotal, grouping, show applicable number of columns as needed, as described here.

You can add your VOTE for the Columnar Summary reportYou may also want to add your vote to each of the components that make up the essential related report features described here.

First
    , click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers. Your VOTE matters!

BTW, the columnar-type summary report is the basis for MANY other reports, as described in detail in this post; only the selection and formatting criteria are different.

BTW, the columnar-type report is the basis for MANY other reports, as described in detail in this post a little lower; only the selection and formatting criteria are different.

• edited January 26
     Months ago I bought Quicken 2017 for Mac. I thought it was time to upgrade from Quicken 2005 for Mac. Under the Reports Menu, I wanted two things: Balance Sheet report and Profit and Loss Report. Sad to say, neither report was there. Money wasted. My hopes soared when I found this website: https://www.quicken.com/mac/upgrader-compare   because line 15 of the comparison matrix shows Quicken Deluxe 2018 for Mac as having Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss Reports. So I bought the subscription for $47.69 total. But under the Report Menu there is NO Balance Sheet Report and NO Profit and Loss Report. Ugghhh! I am disappointed in Quicken once again!!!!  If I am missing something and the reports are really there somewhere, please let me know.
  • lisalisa Member
    edited January 26
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled quicken for mac--business.please stop sending me updates or upgrades until you improve the reporting function in quicken for mac--need income statement balance sheet. quicken for business for mac pleeeeeeease
  • Art KellyArt Kelly Member
    edited January 26
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging.

I concur. Used Quicken 2007 on my Mac for years. Then found that Q2007 would not be compatible with Mac's 64 bit platform. So purchased Q2019 assuming that I would have access to the same reports as 2007. NOT: No Balance Sheet, no Income Statement, no Cash Flow report. Talked to a nice young man in customer service who tried to persuade me that Q2019 was more user friendly. Just can't imagine that Quicken would release a new application that didn't provide the most fundamental of accounting reports.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Balance Sheet and Income Statement - Where Are They?.
  • John_MJohn_M Member
    edited January 26
     QMac 2017, Sierra

As far as I can tell, the standard "Accounts Summary" report prints only balances as of the current date. In fact, I can't find any report available to print balances as of a given date. The "Net Worth Over Time" report allows historical end-of-month values, but nothing in between.

I know that the reports module is getting upgraded, but I would think that being able to change the date in the Accounts Summary report would be already available.

Am I missing something or do the reports really not permit this?
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26
    While this feature is not (yet) available for Banking accounts, it is already available for Investment accounts. In any Portfolio view (group or individual account), there is a box in the upper right corner that will let you set the date for display of prices and holdings:

(screenshot from QM18, but similar in QM17)
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26
     I guess in kind of depends on what you mean by these reports. Some could consider the Net Worth Over Time report to be a kind of Balance Sheet. And some could consider the Tax Report > to be a P&L for personal purposes. But you are right, QMac does not have the kind of business-oriented support that Windows Home Business & Rental version does.

In any case, you have 30 days from purchase to return QM18 for a full refund.
  • ProGolferProGolfer Unconfirmed
    edited January 26
    The only really useful reports in Quicken Mac 2017 and 2018 can be created by going to:

REPORTS > New Report > Summary Report or Comparison Report.

At least you can actually create a report by filtering accounts, categories and date range.

I've found that you can actually include transfer categories this way with some manipulation of the registers in Quicken Mac.

Make sure you show BOTH Category and Transfer in the register.  Then, use a separate category than the transfer account in the Category column, but use the transfer account in the Transfer column.

Anyone who comes from Quicken Windows will find this very confusing and awkward.  But it does work and makes Quicken Mac semi-functional at least.
  • RCinNJRCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26
    ProGolfer said:

The only really useful reports in Quicken Mac 2017 and 2018 can be created by going to:

REPORTS > New Report > Summary Report or Comparison Report.

At least you can actually create a report by filtering accounts, categories and date range.

I've found that you can actually include transfer categories this way with some manipulation of the registers in Quicken Mac.

Make sure you show BOTH Category and Transfer in the register.  Then, use a separate category than the transfer account in the Category column, but use the transfer account in the Transfer column.

Anyone who comes from Quicken Windows will find this very confusing and awkward.  But it does work and makes Quicken Mac semi-functional at least.

ProGolfer, thanks for sharing your work around. The complexity needed to get even close to 2007 functionality proves why users are so frustrated that there is no preconfigured Balance Sheet or Income Statement.

For me, the current reports are the weakest part of QM2019. The 2007 reports just seemed to work for what I needed, while I have to make multiple changes to the 2019 reports to even get close-- and then double and triple check that a setting doesn't lose some transactions-- and then worry that I will make a change in the future and mess things up again. 

Note that the original post is 3 years old!
    edited January 26
    To track these 2 reports separately, this thread will track the Balance Sheet report and the following will be used to track the Income Statement report:

You can add your VOTE for the 
    Income Statement (Income vs Expenses) aka Cash Flow aka Profit & Loss (P&L) type report.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

List of Requests for Report Types. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!