In Quicken 2007, I can create custom reports with categories and classes (229 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• LCoppLCopp Member
    edited August 2018

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back 2007 Reporting Flexibility.  Simply put, the way 2017 "assumes" you want the report they way it groups and sorts it is highly arrogant.  I had a lot of flexible memorized reports which helped me especially at tax time.  Now, I will spend hours manually sprint through the crap that Quicken 2017 vomits.  This is so important that if I find another program that provides flexible reporting (iBank is just as awful), I will dump Quicken in a minute AND post it to the 1000s I am connected to on both FaceBook and LinkedIn... that's how awful reporting is.

I just spent my time during the whole year using Quicken for Mac 2015 (after having to give up the 2009 version) only to discover that I cannot create the Reports I need!

I expected Quicken 2015 to be the same, if not better than the 2009 version, not unbelievably WORSE, to the point that it is USELESS to me as a business owner. How can that be????

This software used to be the most powerful accounting software on the market, only to be given a lobotomy in its current versions. It is USELESS for a business owner until it can make reports like the one shown above.
  • Steven BergersonSteven Bergerson Member
    edited February 2018

Thank you.  The picture in your description is perfect.  No this functionality is not yet available in Quicken for Mac but it's a top requested item and something we are seriously considering for our 2017 release.  Unfortunately the Quicken 2007 code is too old to just re-use so we have to rewrite everything from scratch which takes time.  

QM2017 is a pale comparison to QM2007 for reports, and QM2007 was for me a step down from dBase. Boy, do I wish 2017 had half the report capabilities of 2007. Maybe QM2019 (QM2025??) will catch up.
  • RobertRobert Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Thank you.  The picture in your description is perfect.  No this functionality is not yet available in Quicken for Mac but it's a top requested item and something we are seriously considering for our 2017 release.  Unfortunately the Quicken 2007 code is too old to just re-use so we have to rewrite everything from scratch which takes time.  

Please I beg of you to get this function working so I (and all of us) can upgrade from 2007 !!!  Can't so it without the reports.
  • RobertRobert Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Any update on this custom report feature?  This and Quick Report are the two features I use constantly.  New Mac versions are useless without these functions.  What is taking so long?  10 years should be long enough to figure it out....How hard can it be if it was already in 2007image
  • gmalis1gmalis1 Member
    edited February 2018

The Quicken developers and programmers didn't think that having functional customizable reports was something that users wanted or needed.

Thus, they haven't added these yet.  According to Quicken Marcus, they may be added in Quicken Mac 2018...but of course you'll have to pay to upgrade...and to an annual subscription product...and have your data become read only if you don't renew the subscription.

Win-win for all?  Well, maybe for Quicken.  
  • RobertRobert Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Well then "they" aren't listening because everybody wants these types of reports back.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

Robert, not to nitpick, but the issue here is that not "everybody" wants them back. I agree completely that there are people who want this report customizability, and I think it's key -- but more people were clamoring for features like budgeting and loan amortization, which is why those large projects got tackled first. And there are other pressing issues many users want for dealing with more types of investment transactions and performance evaluation, so there's no shortage of enhancements, large and small, that Quicken Mac users have been asking the developers to tackle. But the small Quicken Mac development team can only pump out major new features at a pretty slow rate; it's not that they "don't care" about their customers, or that they "aren't listening" or that they don't think certain features are desirable, it's just that they are constrained and can't crank out enough enhancements fast enough to satisfy the more demanding Quicken users. (Again, I think this is a needed feature; I'm just explaining that the developers are listening -- at least to some extent -- but they're deciding on priorities from a large list of user wants.)
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • BTWBTW Member
    edited September 2017

I agree that reporting capabilities are under developed in QM2016. As a result reports in QM2007 are not carried over.  This is the EXACT same need I have and one of the main reasons that is holding me back on QM2007.

If you have not done so already, I suggest you add your vote for these features to help guide the priorities by the developers. As per the directions of intuit Admin, you can submit your request for bugs/features for Quicken 2016 for Mac by entering into the field "Something not listed? Tell us:" here: http://www.quicken.com/mac/feedback

This is the surest way for them to see your request. The field may appear small but you can type in quite a bit.

(if you have too many details, you can always post them here and place a link to this thread in your feedback)

Take the time to also vote on any of the listed features that Intuit is considering.

agreed
  • TomJFTomJF Member
    edited February 2018

I agree that reporting capabilities are under developed in QM2016. As a result reports in QM2007 are not carried over.  This is the EXACT same need I have and one of the main reasons that is holding me back on QM2007.

If you have not done so already, I suggest you add your vote for these features to help guide the priorities by the developers. As per the directions of intuit Admin, you can submit your request for bugs/features for Quicken 2016 for Mac by entering into the field "Something not listed? Tell us:" here: http://www.quicken.com/mac/feedback

This is the surest way for them to see your request. The field may appear small but you can type in quite a bit.

(if you have too many details, you can always post them here and place a link to this thread in your feedback)

Take the time to also vote on any of the listed features that Intuit is considering.

I can't agree more!!
  • Nancy ScottNancy Scott Member
    edited March 2018

This is good to hear. I just upgraded from QM2007 to QM2017 and am now understanding that the limitation is not only to not be able to import my saved tax report formats, but that I can't even recreate them. So my choice between 2007 and 2017 is either going without my tax reports (2017) or manually entering my credit card data (2007). (This was why I upgraded). Even though I've already invested hours in updating, I think I will have to choose a return to QM2007.

I would add for the development team that despite the "clamoring" for new features, it seems to go without saying that the "old" features would be first on the list for inclusion before an upgrade is offered.

thanks,
    -n
  • janijani Member
    edited April 2018

Also fully agree. For a supposed Upgrade, this new 17 horribly deficient and is driving me up the wall....in tears. Literally. I'm trying to beat a tax deadline and I'm going out of my mind. Everything was so simple in 2007. Reports are incredibly essential. Details that formerly took minutes now take days (and that's only if the chore is available at all). I paid for this app? I must be a masochist. But thanks to you guys, I can usually find an answer.
  • Jeff BJeff B Member ✭✭
    edited January 13
    Just upgraded to Sierra and bought Quicken 2017..  glad to see Quicken 2007 still runs on Sierra too.   For now I'll be exporting my 2017 accounts into Quicken 2007 to run reports.     All I need is to be able to see the "memo" of split transactions in a report.    Right now I just get a list with the top level payee on every item, can't see the memos that differentiate each item, and there appears to be no way to get this fundamental transaction info into any kind of report.    
  • Jeff BJeff B Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    OK I figured it out, sorry I'm new to Q2017..   created a Category report, it's showing me all the info of split transactions.       Getting the hang of reporting now, very different from Quicken 2007, but slowly learning how to extract the info I need out the reports.          The biggest caveat remains the inability to customize columns, but based on what I'm reading in these forums it sounds like the developers deserve credit for expanding the functionality of the reporting section compared to a year ago.     
  • eugenemarieeugenemarie Member
    edited February 2018
    I want to be able to easily export my investments in a format that I can then import into my portfolio at Morningstar, where I can do sophisticated investment analysis.  I can copy and paste into Excel from QM 2017 but I understand you can't do that with QM 2018.  This is a big downfall for me. 
    edited February 2018

I want to be able to easily export my investments in a format that I can then import into my portfolio at Morningstar, where I can do sophisticated investment analysis.  I can copy and paste into Excel from QM 2017 but I understand you can't do that with QM 2018.  This is a big downfall for me. 

I think you're noting a temporary period of inconvenience. Quicken 2017 had no ability to generate investment reports, and very little on-screen configurability. But users discovered a workaround hack: that you could select all the text on the screen and copy-and-paste it into Excel. Quicken 2018 features a revamped on-screen presentation that offers the start of more investment analysis data and configurability. A non-intentional byproduct of the revamped screen format is that you can no longer select the static text to copy-and-paste into Excel. Meanwhile work is slowly progressing on a new reports engine for Quicken, but detailed and configurable investment reports are still lacking. Within some unknown number of months, there should be capable reports, and they'll include the ability to export a CSV file. Unfortunately, right now, we're at a point in time between the old workaround and the future capable reports.

Marie, if you have Quicken 2017 and rely on that workaround, you may want to stick with it for awhile until Quicken 2018 gains better reporting capabilities which the product manager has said are forthcoming.
  • QuickenSince92QuickenSince92 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Well it looks like Quicken for the Mac is still woefully behind the times on its reporting capability. I don't know what else they need from us. I've voted for enhanced reporting several times and still nothing. It's not like they need a design spec that's brand new. Just duplicate what's available in QWIN. I know I'm not alone in saying I won't be paying for any updates until this is rectified. 
    edited February 2018

Well it looks like Quicken for the Mac is still woefully behind the times on its reporting capability. I don't know what else they need from us. I've voted for enhanced reporting several times and still nothing. It's not like they need a design spec that's brand new. Just duplicate what's available in QWIN. I know I'm not alone in saying I won't be paying for any updates until this is rectified. 

What they need: more time. The development process has proved to be much slower than anyone -- us users or Quicken management -- would have liked, but there have tuned out to be many stumbling blocks along the way these past few years. They seem to be on the right course, but it's unfortunately going to take more time until they deliver the reporting capabilities we want, need and expect. I'm hoping this year, now that they're past the move off Intuit's servers and they've hired new developers to bolster the staff, we'll be seeing some significant improvements. Time will tell.
    edited February 2018

Sure, but that's an excuse not a reason. After having worked in tech for 25+ years and having dealt with important features, revenue recognition issues and constrained resources the lack of good reporting is a huge whiff. It was an issue 2 years ago. We waited and hoped it would get addressed. It didn't. All we got was some eyewash about a new reporting engine but no significantly improved capability. 
    edited February 2018

Steve, it's no an excuse. I'm not excusing them for being slow; I'm offering some explanation about what has happened. The small size of the Mac development team a few years ago definitely is one of the reasons development has proceeded as slowly as it has. Even as they were in the process of hiring more developers last year, the developers spent much of the year working on re-writing code so they could move off Intuit's servers for much of their infrastructure (although they still contract with Intuit for certain services they can't easily handle in-house). That really slowed development of new features. So did the need to pause to fix a lot of existing bugs. And there were a boatload of features users were clamoring for -- and different users felt different features were most critical.

Over the past few years, they have delivered such features as budgeting, loan amortization, tracking investments by lot, and some investment performance tracking. But there's still a long list of needs, and improved reporting is at the top of that list (as stated by the product manager). They developed a new reporting engine and released it in incomplete form last year -- probably to both help some users, and also to gather feedback on what the new reports were missing -- before they added new reports and revamped all the existing ones. Certainly the few reports under "New Report" are an improvement over the old reports, which are largely untouched from the predecessor Quicken Essentials code. Later this year, I expect to see the "new" reports expand and begin to replace the limited old reports, which more user-selectable options, export capabilities, and more types of reports.

I'm not excusing the long delays in development. In fact, I continue to use the legacy Quicken 2007 as my live environment, largely because of the reports. But I feel that the modern Quicken keeps getting closer to being a suitable replacement for me. For some Quicken users, that has already occurred; for some, it will take awhile longer. I am happy that the company has stated its commitment to achieving relative feature parity with Quicken Windows. While we all wish that would happen yesterday, there does seem to be reason to believe things will get there over time.
  • edited November 2018

It is discouraging to find out that many users have been reporting the same problem I am having in creating reports--and that this has been going on for a year.  Allowing flexible reports is essential!  Please enable this function.
  • PeterPeter Member
    edited April 2018

I agree.  We already know what has worked so well in the earlier versions, why don't we have an updated application that is fully functional??
  • PeterPeter Member
    edited February 2018

Thank you for your response.  However, and with all due respect, 2007 to 2017 is 10 years.  Why isn't that enough time to produce a product at least equal to QM2007?
    edited February 2018

Arleen and Peter: it's not a mater of simply "enabling" more functionality, but creating it. What worked in Quicken 2007 or Quicken Windows illustrates the functionality users expect, but they have to do the programming to create these reports. When the modern Quicken for Mac debuted three years ago with Quicken 2015, the reports were simply carried over from the very under-developed predecessor Quicken Essentials product. They made a few tweaks to reports, but what was needed was a completely new report engine to provide the flexibility and user customizability Quicken users expect. They did a bunch of that development work last year, but were slowed by the work to get off the old Intuit servers; this year should see significant forward progress on the reports.
    edited October 2018

Peter, Quicken Mac had a long and tortured path forward from Quicken 2007 once the developers decided that the code could not be supported into the future. They worked on a next-generation product for two years that never made it to market. There was a new management team installed, and they came out with Quicken Essentials, which had a subset of Quicken features. The plan was to come out with a full-fledged Quicken Deluxe a year later, but the management team changed again and the development team was virtually disbanded; the promised new Quicken Mac was never developed. Finally, about five years ago, a new product manager was hired, and with a tiny team of a few new developers, they began updating the code from Essentials for the modern Mac operating system and creating the ability to track investments, which Essentials lacked. After two years of work, Quicken 2015 was released, 8 years after the release of Quicken 2007.

Quicken 2015 lacked many of the features of Quicken 2007, but it was a major upgrade for those users who had been using Essentials. The product manager acknowledged it wasn't a complete enough replacement for many Quicken 2007 or Quicken Windows users. Over the ensuing three years, a lot of new features have been added, and a lot of behind-the-scenes code for network infrastructure security and downloading transactions has been rewritten. After Quicken was sold off by Intuit two years ago, the new management team committed to Quicken Mac by doubling the size of the development team and promising eventual feature parity with Quicken Windows. Progress is being made, but Quicken Mac isn't there yet. Due to the many missteps under Intuit management, it turns out that 10 year (now 11) was actually not enough to produce a product that's a full-fledged successor to Quicken 2007. Hopefully, in another year or two, we'll finally be there. It's frustrating, to be sure, but what encourages me is that there has been real progress and the CEO's commitment to get there.
    edited February 2018

Sorry but you have decided to be Quicken's defender regardless of their decisions and actions. Reporting is a service and report engines are a commodity that can (and should) be licensed from a 3rd party. That may even be the case with QM, but you indicate that they developed, not licensed, a reporting engine. Writing the queries and displaying the results is a 3 on a 1-10 scale of difficulty with 10 being the most difficult. They already have the spec within their own products. The thought of waiting another year to see if we finally get the reports we need is just something the community will have to endure, but we don't have to spend money for an upgrade until that time.
  • Harvey KabakerHarvey Kabaker Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018

This tracks with my understanding of events as they unfolded. For awhile I was a beta tester but despaired. Eventually I installed & tested 2015 and 2016 but waited until Fall of 2017 before switching over. Even then, there were a few hiccups before accounts were in sync, but now I won't go back.
    edited February 2018

Steve, I'm not defending them; I'm explaining how we got to the place where we currently find ourselves. I disagree with you that they can simply license a report engine. Quicken needs to do a lot of calculations on data, and users demand a lot of flexibility and configurability. They may be able to use some existing programming libraries to provide building blocks, but there's still a lot of of custom programming required.

As for an existing spec, for better or worse, they've consistently pursued a philosophy of looking at each feature with fresh eyes to see if the existing model is best or not. I'd say that has helped in a few areas, where they've improved on the past, but has hurt in other areas, where they've put out a feature which users have found inferior or flawed. The developers have approached certain things like they're a start-up, putting out bare minimum functionality and then looking to make iterations based on consumer feedback; I think at times they have misjudged that because they are not a start-up, and instead have long-term users who have existing expectations, they would have been better served by coming out of the box with more polished features. 

And hopefully we won't need to wait another year to get the reports we're all waiting for! ;)
  • edited February 2018

Dear Jacobs, SuperUser - seems you must work for Quicken or have very minimal needs for a money program. I strongly react to and demean what you have said. Your response to Steve sounds like a politician's. It was a bunch of words that have no relevance just plainly don't make any sense concerning the issue. I think that Quicken was first developed in 1983 for the Mac. The "report" feature has been probably the most requested and least attended to feature in the latest rendering of the program. Why the company has spent so much effort on features that are least used when people need reports now. Though the company now has different owners, they conduct themselves as poorly as the previous owners. I think it is deceptive to offer and updated program that is less productive and efficient than one that one that was produced 10 years ago. They have put together a program that is fluff and no substance. I am leaving Quicken and moving to Banktivity mainly do to the lack of the ability to make reports and Banktivity seems to give to its customer base what they need and want.
    edited February 2018

Writing an entire reporting engine in this day and age, is generally, a waste of precious development resources. The opportunity cost is too high and its capability is readily available from 3rd parties. Development resources should be focused on writing the queries to access the data in the database. These are not mind-boggling queries in a financial application like Quicken. We're talking about standard queries that have been in use for decades. The key fields are straight forward - Account, Payee, Category, Security, etc. They've all been in place for a long time. Even providing a user-defined set of reports is a straightforward exercise. The user picks from a list of Accounts, Securities, Categories, etc., includes Boolean logic (even though they might not know what that is - AND, OR, NOT, etc.) and those picked items are used to define the queries. SQL for this type of thing is not rocket science. Java, Python or other contemporary languages easily perform database lookups of this type. Not a lot of "calculations" to be done for things like Totals, Sub-Totals, Averages, etc. The one area that requires the most math is in the area of gains, losses, ROI, IRR, etc. but again, not rocket science, and these base functions are often provided as part of the report engine. The developers provide the values for the parameters of the function.

My gripe is with the choices that Quicken has made in how to use their resources and how they have prioritized their efforts. Reports/Extracts are clearly a very high priority with users, yet it has been pushed down and back in the delivery schedule. I don't need your well-intended "splaining" of your take on their design philosophy to change my opinion. The facts clearly demonstrate that priorities and resources are not well-aligned with customer expectations.
    edited February 2018

Bob: (a) I don't work for Quicken, and (b) I only spend time here helping fellow Quicken users, and sometimes beta testing Quicken, because I very much want to have a Quicken program I can continue to use as I have for more than two decades. I'm sorry you took offense at my effort to explain some of the history. You said earlier that you have voted for better reports and are frustrated that they don't yet exist. I absolutely agree! I noted that I'm continuing to use Quicken 2007 in large part because of the lack of reporting features in the current Quicken, and I shared where I think they have made some missteps in how they have developed features.

You said: "Why the company has spent so much effort on features that are least used when people need reports now. The 'report' feature has been probably the most requested and least attended to feature in the latest rendering of the program." I think this is partly true, but overlooks the state of the program a year or two or three ago. When the first iteration, Quicken 2015, came out, there were lots of missing features. At that time, improving the reports was not the top need, according to user comments and votes. Users were apoplectic about things like the lack of of budgeting feature, and the complete absence of loan amortization. There were lapses, such as the inability to see your investments as of a previous month- or quarter-ending, and the inability to sell specific lots of investments so returns can capital gains would be calculated correctly. I was pushing for improved reports back then, but some of these other features got addressed first. And really, they all needed to be addressed. Depending how you use Quicken, some of these features they prioritized may be of little or no use to you, but they were critical asks for many Quicken users.

Move forward to today, and the product manager has stated that improved reports are now the top user request, and a top priority. Quicken 2017 and 2018 users can see the first sliver of their work on a comprehensive re-working of reports in the "New Report" feature. It's clearly incomplete and a work in progress, but it shows where they're headed. By releasing it in its incomplete form last year, it's given users a chance to chime in on what additional features or functionality we think are needed in these next-generation reports. In an exchange on this forum a few months back, Marcus said he was "wrestling with whether to move forward with new reports or continue to refine the reports we have and adding more of the functionality like the one you described. I'm inclined to keep improving what we've got especially as we work to replace our legacy reports with the new architecture.  There are always trade-offs."

Steve: I think perhaps you're using the terminology "new reporting engine" at a more technical level than I am. I'm not familiar with the coding environment, tools, frameworks, etc. that the developers use. They may indeed be using code they haven't had to create from scratch, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I do know they rely on tools provided by the operating system as heavily as as possible, so something like collapsable/disclosure triangles in a report is something they haven't hand-coded because the OS gives it to them "for free," as Marcus has said.

But I do understand your gripe that revamping and expanding the reports have been too low a priority and delayed to long. I'm not disagreeing; I was only attempting to explain how there have been many competing priorities and they've had to make difficult choices about which things to tackle first. In general, their approach seems to have been to address things which didn't exist at all (e.g. budgets, loans) ahead of revisiting and improving features which exists in some form but are in need of improvement/expansion.
This discussion has been closed.