Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do I fix my 401K Market Value overstatement since it appears to be adding both the Cash Balance

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited December 2019 in Investing (Windows)

I recently purchased the Quicken Deluxe program, and it appears to be overstating the Market Value

$220,396.93 - Securities Value (what is this?)

$231,465.59 - Cash Value (this looks correct)

$451,862.52 - Market Value - Not sure why it adds the two above?

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I suggest you replace the placeholder transactions and the corresponding Establish Cash Balance Xin transaction that appear in the register with appropriate transactions.  To delete a placeholder transaction, select Edit->Preferences... and review the attached image.  Then, open the register, left-click on the placeholder transaction in the register and select Delete.

• Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    " ... it appears to be adding both the Cash Balance and Securities Value ....".

That is exactly what Quicken should do.
    An investment account can contain securities (each security has a value of number-of-shares * price/share) and plain cash.
    The Market Value of the account is the sum of value of all securities in the account plus the amount of cash in the account.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    [mention://67948 @NoWayJose] The initial download appears to be establishing placeholders for the shares and a cash balance equal to the account market value so that account appears to have a value twice as large as it should.
  • Howard Roark
    Howard Roark Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I wasn't trying to address the underlying cause: just correcting lack of understanding by the user.
    I have no disagreement with the notion that the true cash value may be incorrect due to the presence of placeholders.

Even when the Quicken cash and securities values are correct (match the real-world values); Quicken will compute them the same way, and add them together to arrive at the account "Market Value".
This discussion has been closed.