I need a confirmation on a problem I am having. I need users of Firefox to manually download transa

edited January 25 in

The problem I am having with Firefox downloading OFX data is that Fx thinks the data is in xml format.  My bank uses version 1 of OFX which while it looks like xml technically it isn't.  Version 2 of OFX is xml.

To make a long story short, when I download my transactions from my banks website and I go to open the file Fx is making it an xml file.  Quicken doesn't like this so it thinks I am a new user.  Interestingly, when I save the file it saves just fine.  Extension is qfx.

It's possible that Express Web Connect and Direct Download will produce the same problem.  My bank is Santander, NA btw.

See my bug report at Bugzilla for more detailed information:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1264016

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    What bank?  And, isn't FF48 a beta version?  I'm on FF45, and not having any issues.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • edited July 2016
    I tried Fx45 already, same problem.  Even tried portable Fx45 and portable CyberFox, same problem.  I also ran under a VM, same problem. Everything worked fine at least a month ago.  I am starting to think it's something with my bank but it is strange that saving the file works perfectly.  It's when I open it I have problems.  

How exactly did you download?  What bank are you using?  Also is the qfx file version 1 or 2?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I download Direct Connect from Chase (cards), US Bank (card, checking, savings, HELOC), AMEX (card), Fidelity Investments (multiple brokerage accts).  In my Fiancee's file, I download Direct Connect from BofA (checking, savings, card), Fidelity.  And EWC from her HSA, Nordstrom, Chase (card), US Bank (card).

SO, what bank are you downloading from?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm confused by why you are downloading an OFX file when Quicken only works with QFX files.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• edited July 2016
    I download from Santander Bank, NA in New Jersey.  I use their web sites manual download.  There is a button to download history.  After I click on this button I have the option to download it for Quicken.  After a couple more clicks I get the Fx download window which allows me either to open the file in whatever app I choose or to save it.  I see you haven't done it the way I did.  Can you try a download like I did?

Also, my account is just a plain old checking account.
  • edited July 2016
    While the extension is .qfx the format is called OFX.  I sometimes use them interchangeably.  Also look in you OFX log via Hlep (see, it's called OFX log).  Look for your downloads and see if it's in actual XML format.  This would be version 2 of OFX.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Financial_Exchange
  • edited July 2016
    Keep in mind both Direct Connect and EWC do not use Firefox.  I tried EWC and while I didn't have any new transactions I didn't get any error messages.  So it's only downloading via the FI's website.

I don't use EWC because my bank decided to add pending transactions to my available balance.  So my AB and online balance are always the same.  Quicken does not like this.  I posted this way back when.  My bank still refuses to change this behavior.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I just tested with a QFX file from a Chase savings account.
    I'm running FireFox version 45, and the QFX file is version 102 (version 1 of the OFX standard).
    It works fine when I open it in FireFox (imports into Quicken no problems).

From your problem report in the bug report it sounds like something else is going on.
    The .part extension is used for the file name as it is being downloaded, and is then changed to the right extension after the download is complete.  It sounds like your download is never completing.

You should also try just saving the file to your computer (hopefully you will get .qfx not .part that way), and then opening that with File Explorer and see if that works.  Needless to say if you can't get a good download, then all bets are off.

It would also be interesting what another web browser does.  A website does give "hints" on what the file type is.  It might be the fault is at your financial institution's website marking it as an XML file (which it is not).

Note that OFX version 1 headers look like:

OFXHEADER:100
    DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    SECURITY:NONE
    ENCODING:USASCII
    CHARSET:1252
    COMPRESSION:NONE
    OLDFILEUID:NONE
    NEWFILEUID:NONE

Version 2 looks like:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII"?>
    <?OFX OFXHEADER="200" DATA="OFXSGML" VERSION="200" SECURITY="NONE" OLDFILEUID="NONE" NEWFILEUID="NONE" COMPRESSION="NONE" ENCODING="USASCII" CHARSET="1252"?>
  • edited July 2016
    I can save the file with no problem.  This is my workround.  I just click on the qfx problem and it opens Quicken and my transactions are displayed.  Must be something funky going on with my bank.

MS Edge works OK because it doesn't do the .part crap that Fx does.  It just downloads the file as is to my download folder.  I then open it and all works as it should.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    [mention://52079 @splasher] He was referring to the fact that the data file format is officially referred to as OFX format even if it is in a QFX file and has Quicken extra fields in it.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    [mention://44323 @QuicknPerlWiz - QWin15R10]
    What you state is true, BUT some FIs (Capital One Credit Card as an example) make both formats (Quicken - QFX and MS Money OFX) available for download, so using the terms interchangeably when the OP knows better causes confusion and readers aren't sure what the OP is really doing.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Very true Splasher.
  • edited July 2016
    If I copy the .part file from my temp file and then change the extension to .qfx everything works fine when I click on the file.  The part file looks something like this....  ccccc.xml.part.  My guess is Fx renames the file by just dropping the .part leaving .xml.

Remember I am using QW2016.  Other versions might work correctly.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This problem is all in FireFox/your setup, it has nothing to do with Quicken.
    You need to track down why the download doesn't complete.
  • edited July 2016
    The download does complete except it becomes an xml file.  It's either my banks fault or perhaps some running process on my system.
  • jl747jl747 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    As QPW says it could be the Firefox he is using.
    I do think FF 48 is Alpha. So it may have some bugs.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
    https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2016/02/04/update-on-2016-firefox-release-schedule/

You can try to reset (refresh) your profile and try it again.

Here is a link to get recent releases including FF 46 beta http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/candidates/
    Quicken Windows Premier 2019
    Windows 10 Pro 1903
  • edited July 2016
    As stated already,  I tried multiple versions of Firefox including the current release version.  I also ran Fx45 under a VM which should rule out pretty much any of my running programs on my regular system.  Ran in safe-mode and with a new profile.  The only common denominator is that the qfx file is coming from my bank.  Since no one uses Santander we can't really solve this.  Wonder if it could be Windows Defender.  That also runs on my VM version of Windows 10.  Really don't see WD being the problem but I'll do some testing without it.l
  • edited July 2016
    Wasn't WD.  If any of you downloaded your transactions from your FI's website do me a favor.  When you are at the download menu in Fx, take a look at your Windows temp folder for the part file.  Let me know the name of it.  Don't open or save before you look at the temp folder.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    For a Chase savings account (OFX version 1):
    File name in temp: E7F+Zo2O.QFX.part
    Which gets copied/deleted when saved to its proper name.
    Or if I open it, it gets renamed to JPMC.QFX in the temp folder.

I don't have any financial institutions that are using version 2, which might be falsely interpreted as an XML file.
  • edited July 2016
    Your File name in temp is E7F+Zo2O.QFX.part.  Mine would be E7F+Zo2O.XML.part.  Evidently the renaming is simply done by removing the .part name.  That leaves you with a qfx file and me with an invalid xml file.  The question is why does Fx think the file is xml?  Is it something my bank is sending down incorrectly even though the file looks OK?

Other downloaded file types like .zip & .pdf have a correct file name like wewwwe.zip.part and fgfgfgf.pdf.part.  No problems at all with these files.

Look at the MimeTypes.rdf file in your Fx profile.  Copy and paste here the section where it has QW.exe.  I want to compare what you have to what I have.  The whole file would be better.  I don't think there is any sensitive data in it.  You decide.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    QW.exe is not called out explicitly in my mimeTypes.rdf.  It is found by its "official" application name.
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <RDF:RDF xmlns:NC="http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#"
             xmlns:RDF="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/pdf"
                       NC:value="application/pdf">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/pdf"/>
      </RDF:Description>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:handler:web:https://www.mibbit.com/?url=%s"
                       NC:prettyName="Mibbit"
                       NC:uriTemplate="https://www.mibbit.com/?url=%s" />
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/vnd.intu.qfx"
                       NC:fileExtensions="qfx"
                       NC:description="Quicken OFX data"
                       NC:value="application/vnd.intu.qfx"
                       NC:editable="true">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/vnd.intu.qfx"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:application/pdf"
                       NC:handleInternal="true"
                       NC:alwaysAsk="false" />
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:text/plain"
                       NC:alwaysAsk="true"
                       NC:saveToDisk="true">
        <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:text/plain"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/vnd.ms-excel"
                       NC:value="application/vnd.ms-excel"
                       NC:editable="true"
                       NC:fileExtensions="xls"
                       NC:description="Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Worksheet">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/vnd.ms-excel"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:handler:web:https://mail.google.com/mail/?extsrc=mailto&amp;url=%s"
                       NC:prettyName="Gmail"
                       NC:uriTemplate="https://mail.google.com/mail/?extsrc=mailto&amp;url=%s" />
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet"
                       NC:useSystemDefault="true"
                       NC:saveToDisk="false">
        <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:handler:ircs"
                       NC:alwaysAsk="true">
        <NC:possibleApplication RDF:resource="urn:handler:web:https://www.mibbit.com/?url=%s"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:handler:web:https://30boxes.com/external/widget?refer=ff&amp;url=%s"
                       NC:prettyName="30 Boxes"
                       NC:uriTemplate="https://30boxes.com/external/widget?refer=ff&amp;url=%s" />
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:mailto"
                       NC:value="mailto">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:scheme:handler:mailto"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/x-qif"
                       NC:fileExtensions="qif"
                       NC:description="ImportQIF file"
                       NC:value="application/x-qif"
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/x-qif"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/x-virtualbox-vbox-extpack"
                       NC:value="application/x-virtualbox-vbox-extpack"
                       NC:fileExtensions="vbox-extpack"
                       NC:description="VirtualBox Extension Pack">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/x-virtualbox-vbox-extpack"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/x-zip"
                       NC:value="application/x-zip"
                       NC:fileExtensions="zip"
                       NC:description="Compressed (zipped) Folder">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/x-zip"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:root"
                       NC:en-US_defaultHandlersVersion="4" />
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:application/x-virtualbox-vbox-extpack"
        <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/x-virtualbox-vbox-extpack"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet"
                       NC:fileExtensions="xlsx"
                       NC:description="Microsoft Excel Worksheet"
                       NC:value="application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet"
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:application/x-qif"
                       NC:saveToDisk="true"
                       NC:useSystemDefault="false">
        <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/x-qif"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:text/csv"
        <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:text/csv"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:application/x-msi"
        <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/x-msi"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/x-rdp"
                       NC:value="application/x-rdp"
                       NC:fileExtensions="rdp"
                       NC:description="Remote Desktop Connection">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/x-rdp"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:application/vnd.ms-excel"
        <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/vnd.ms-excel"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:application/force-download"
        <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/force-download"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:irc"
                       NC:value="irc">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:scheme:handler:irc"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:webcal"
                       NC:value="webcal">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:scheme:handler:webcal"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetypes">
        <NC:MIME-types RDF:resource="urn:mimetypes:root"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:handler:irc"
        <NC:possibleApplication RDF:resource="urn:handler:web:https://www.mibbit.com/?url=%s"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:handler:web:https://compose.mail.yahoo.com/?To=%s"
                       NC:prettyName="Yahoo! Mail"
                       NC:uriTemplate="https://compose.mail.yahoo.com/?To=%s" />
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:application/x-rdp"
        <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/x-rdp"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:text/csv"
                       NC:fileExtensions="csv"
                       NC:description="Microsoft Excel Comma Separated Values File"
                       NC:value="text/csv"
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:text/csv"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:handler:webcal"
        <NC:possibleApplication RDF:resource="urn:handler:web:https://30boxes.com/external/widget?refer=ff&amp;url=%s"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/force-download"
                       NC:value="application/force-download"
                       NC:fileExtensions="xml"
                       NC:description="XML Document">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/force-download"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:handler:mailto"
                       NC:useSystemDefault="true"
                       NC:alwaysAsk="false">
        <NC:possibleApplication RDF:resource="urn:handler:web:https://compose.mail.yahoo.com/?To=%s"/>
        <NC:possibleApplication RDF:resource="urn:handler:web:https://mail.google.com/mail/?extsrc=mailto&amp;url=%s"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:application/x-zip"
        <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/x-zip"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:application/vnd.intu.qfx"
        <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/vnd.intu.qfx"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:scheme:ircs"
                       NC:value="ircs">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:scheme:handler:ircs"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:text/plain"
                       NC:value="text/plain"
                       NC:fileExtensions="txt"
                       NC:description="Text Document">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:text/plain"/>
      <RDF:Seq RDF:about="urn:schemes:root">
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:scheme:webcal"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:scheme:ircs"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:scheme:mailto"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:scheme:irc"/>
      </RDF:Seq>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:schemes">
        <NC:Protocol-Schemes RDF:resource="urn:schemes:root"/>
      <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:application/x-msi"
                       NC:value="application/x-msi"
                       NC:fileExtensions="msi"
                       NC:description="Windows Installer Package">
        <NC:handlerProp RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:handler:application/x-msi"/>
      <RDF:Seq RDF:about="urn:mimetypes:root">
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:application/pdf"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:text/plain"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:text/csv"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:application/x-qif"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:application/x-virtualbox-vbox-extpack"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:application/x-zip"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:application/vnd.ms-excel"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:application/x-msi"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:application/force-download"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:application/x-rdp"/>
        <RDF:li RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:application/vnd.intu.qfx"/>
      </RDF:Seq>
    </RDF:RDF>
  • edited July 2016
    You got stuff I don't have.  I'm going to use your file and see what happens.
  • edited July 2016
    With your mimetypes.rdf the file isn't ffff.xml.part anymore.  It is now ffff.u.qfx.part.  This is still not good because QW doesn't recognize u.qfx.  I suspect this name comes from 'application/vnd.intu.qfx' which is in your rdf file.  Close so far but no cigar.  Have to figure out why it seems to be using the u..

I bet a reinstall of QW16 would probably do the trick.  Wonder if there is an easier way to get Quicken to make the mime types work.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You can toggle this option to see if it makes any difference/registers Quicken:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Web Connect -> Give me the option of saving to a file whenever I download Web Connect data.

I sort of doubt it though.  These days the registry entries that you want to be changed can normally only be changed by install programs.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    P.S. as long as that file is not known/presented to the system/Quicken as a .qfx file, it is not going to work.
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    BTW I'm curious, what was the actual error message/behavior in Quicken in reference to this statement "Quicken doesn't like this so it thinks I am a new user."
  • edited July 2016
    I'm not using Web Connect.  I am manually downloading the file.  As far as I can tell Web Connect works but I have a problem using it because of the way my bank has things setup.

btw... Does the uninstall for QW16 have a repair option?  If not and I reinstall QW16 is there any gotchas?
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    You are using Web Connect.  Web Connect is when you download the QFX file and import it.
    Express Web Connect is when the Quicken servers try to do the same for you automatically.

No Quicken doesn't have a repair option.  The install shouldn't be a problem, but it might not fix the problem either.  There are things like putting these entries in the registry that if they see that they are already there (and they don't check they are right), they might skip them.
    You should try the QCleanUI procedure (and don't uninstall before hand like it suggests, make QCleanUI do it).
    http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/downloading--installing--upgrading-and-converting/using-qcleanui-to-uninstall-quicken/GEN82227.html

You might also try the Mondo patch install.
    http://knowledgebase.quicken.com/support/help/quicken-update-files/GEN82197.html
  • edited July 2016
    here's the message I get from Quicken:  http://i.imgur.com/7JTI4fn.jpg
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Interesting.  Usually that kind of "new user" flagging happens if there is a problem with the data file, like permissions or in some cases where it is stored or even that file name isn't in 8.3 (Old DOS format).

The reason I ask is when importing, if Quicken asks to close the existing one, it is because it believes that you are trying to open a QDF file.  On the command line, you give the full path to the QDF file to open it.  To open a QFX file it is the same, but you give it the -X option like:
    "C:Program Files (x86)Quickenqw.exe" -X c: mpJPMC.QFX

I have seen cases where people have tried to set Quicken as the default program to handle QFX files through the control panel, and that messes it up, because Windows 7 and above don't have any way to edit that command line and it makes it:
    "C:Program Files (x86)Quickenqw.exe" "%1"
    instead of:
    "C:Program Files (x86)Quickenqw.exe" -X "%1"