I am receiving a OL-221-A and OL-221-B error.

THXTHX Member
edited October 2018 in

Ever since our credit union shut down access to Quicken direct connection, they've instructed us to download the translations manually via the QFX file. However, this produces a OL-221-A/OL-221-B error every time.

When investigating the connection log file I see this error:

20160503 16:34:21: Not all required fields present. Object: STMTRS missing tag: LEDGERBAL

Is there any way around this?

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Please provide the name of the financial institution.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • THXTHX Member
    edited January 2017
    Vantage Credit Union of Saint Louis, MO (formerly Educational Employees Credit Union)
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

After you have deactivated the Online Services of all of the registers associated with the financial institution and clear the financial institution's name on the General tab, log in to the financial institution's web site, download the available transactions and import the QFX file into Quicken.  Be certain to select the appropriate existing register.

If the issue persists, I suggest you contact the financial institution.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sherlock said:

After you have deactivated the Online Services of all of the registers associated with the financial institution and clear the financial institution's name on the General tab, log in to the financial institution's web site, download the available transactions and import the QFX file into Quicken.  Be certain to select the appropriate existing register.

Given the error message, my guess would be that the financial institution isn't generating a proper QFX file, and needs to fix it..  As the error message says it is missing the LEDGERBAL field.
    OL-221 errors basically mean that the response (which the QFX file actually is) was invalid in some way.
  • THXTHX Member
    edited July 2016
    Sherlock said:

There weird thing is that I am actually seeing LEDGERBAL in the QFX file.

</BANKTRANLIST>
    <LEDGERBAL>
    <BALAMT>0.00</BALAMT>
    <DTASOF>20160503000000</DTASOF>
    </LEDGERBAL>
    </STMTRS>
    </STMTTRNRS>
    </BANKMSGSRSV1>
    </OFX>
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sherlock said:

One other possibility might be that the QFX file is fine, but when Quicken reaches out to the financial institution to verify it, there is some kind of error, but it doesn't sound like it because of the "LEDERBAL error" in the log.

I'm going to give some more information below, but even if you find the problem it really still needs to be fixed by the financial institution.

The most likely cause is a field that wasn't closed properly (missing </SOME_KEY>), putting it basically in the wrong section.
    Here is some example data that is correct (pretty printed so that it is easier to see).  There are two versions (102, and 200, which stand for 1.02 and 2.00), which look slightly different.  In the old format some fields didn't need the closing </SOME_KEY>, they are terminated when the next < is found.  <CODE> is an example of this.  In 2.00 they are always included.
    But in truth
    OFXHEADER:100
    DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    SECURITY:NONE
    ENCODING:USASCII
    CHARSET:1252
    COMPRESSION:NONE
    OLDFILEUID:NONE
    NEWFILEUID:NONE
    <OFX>
        <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
            <SONRS>
                <STATUS>
                    <CODE>0
                    <SEVERITY>INFO
                </STATUS>
                <DTSERVER>20110221120000[0:GMT]
                <LANGUAGE>ENG
                <FI>
                    <ORG>ISC
                    <FID>10898
                </FI>
                <INTU.BID>10898
            </SONRS>
        </SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
        <BANKMSGSRSV1>
            <STMTTRNRS>
                <TRNUID>1
                <STATUS>
                    <CODE>0
                    <SEVERITY>INFO
                    <MESSAGE>Success
                </STATUS>
                <STMTRS>
                    <CURDEF>USD
                    <BANKACCTFROM>
                        <BANKID>322271627
                        <ACCTID>123456789
                        <ACCTTYPE>CHECKING
                    </BANKACCTFROM>
                    <BANKTRANLIST>
                        <DTSTART>20101118120000[0:GMT]
                        <DTEND>20110218120000[0:GMT]
                        <STMTTRN>
                            <TRNTYPE>DEBIT
                            <DTPOSTED>20110209120000[0:GMT]
                            <TRNAMT>-835.00
                            <FITID>201102090
                            <NAME>E*TRADE BANK     TRANSFER
                        </STMTTRN>
                    </BANKTRANLIST>
                    <LEDGERBAL>
                        <BALAMT>1022.23
                        <DTASOF>20110221120000[0:GMT]
                    </LEDGERBAL>
                    <AVAILBAL>
                        <BALAMT>1022.23
                        <DTASOF>20110221120000[0:GMT]
                    </AVAILBAL>
                </STMTRS>
            </STMTTRNRS>
        </BANKMSGSRSV1>
    </OFX>
        <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
            <SONRS>
                <STATUS>
                    <CODE>0</CODE>
                    <SEVERITY>INFO</SEVERITY>
                </STATUS>
                <DTSERVER>20110221030227</DTSERVER>
                <LANGUAGE>ENG</LANGUAGE>
                <DTACCTUP>20110221030227</DTACCTUP>
                <FI>
                    <ORG>DollarSavingsDirect</ORG>
                    <FID>11507</FID>
                </FI>
                <INTU.BID>11507</INTU.BID>
                <INTU.USERID>myname</INTU.USERID>
            </SONRS>
        </SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
        <BANKMSGSRSV1>
            <STMTTRNRS>
                <TRNUID>0</TRNUID>
                <STATUS>
                    <CODE>0</CODE>
                    <SEVERITY>INFO</SEVERITY>
                </STATUS>
                <STMTRS>
                    <CURDEF>USD</CURDEF>
                    <BANKACCTFROM>
                        <BANKID>226070403</BANKID>
                        <ACCTID>123456789012</ACCTID>
                        <ACCTTYPE>SAVINGS</ACCTTYPE>
                    </BANKACCTFROM>
                    <BANKTRANLIST>
                        <DTSTART>20101223031227</DTSTART>
                        <DTEND>20110221030227</DTEND>
                        <STMTTRN>
                            <TRNTYPE>DIRECTDEBIT</TRNTYPE>
                            <DTPOSTED>20110210120000</DTPOSTED>
                            <TRNAMT>-9.00</TRNAMT>
                            <FITID>20110210030755000626</FITID>
                            <NAME>DOLLARSAVINGSDIR TRANSFER 201417</NAME>
                        </STMTTRN>
                    </BANKTRANLIST>
                    <LEDGERBAL>
                        <BALAMT>1000.53</BALAMT>
                        <DTASOF>20110221</DTASOF>
                    </LEDGERBAL>
                </STMTRS>
            </STMTTRNRS>
        </BANKMSGSRSV1>
    </OFX>
  • THXTHX Member
    edited July 2016
    Sherlock said:

Now what's interesting is that my financial institution just recently went through an overhaul of their system and they are no longer supporting direct download of Quicken data. They are forcing us to log onto their website and then download the QFX and then manually importing it. So, are you saying that even with this manual import method, Quicken still needs to reach out to the financial institution for QFX file verification? I wonder if they just slammed the door shut and verification isn't even working? I scraped this info from my connection logs:

20160503 08:26:54: QFN: Beginning send to https://quicken.vcu.com/scripts/isaofx.dll
    20160503 08:27:16: ***QFN kQFFinished: returns 67305872
    20160503 08:27:16: The server does not recognize a request from the application. Try again now, or wait and try later.
    20160503 08:27:16: QFN: End send to https://quicken.vcu.com/scripts/isaofx.dll, netstatus 14
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sherlock said:

Yes, that is correct.  The financial institution can't just generate a QFX file and be done with it.
    Quicken verifies that the financial institution is a "participating partner".  It is basically the whole reason for the differences between straight OFX and QFX.

This part just above </SONRS>
                <FI>
                    <ORG>ISC
                    <FID>10898
                </FI>
                <INTU.BID>10898

And from your error message in the connection log, I think that is exactly what is wrong.  The one other time one might see an OL-221 error is when their version of Quicken just got "Sunsetted" (stopped support).  As in the Quicken servers block the verification because the version of Quicken is no longer supported.  Note this all lines up with the text for the OL-221 errors, "Quicken did not receive a valid response from the server."

BTW as you might be able to guess from the above 1.02 syntax, the username in the 2.00 syntax isn't used.  What is going on here is that if you look at the OFX logs there is a two way communication for Direct Connect/Express Web Connect.  Well the QFX file is just the response, which in 2.00 has the username, but it was really used in the login process to get the request sent.

The "verify" for the "participating partner" isn't at the user level.
    It is in fact possible to change out the above information for another financial institution.
  • THXTHX Member
    edited July 2016
    Sherlock said:

It appears that my credit union has finally resolved the problem. I am getting successful transactions downloaded now. Here are the result codes from the connection log now:

20160505 13:56:33: QFN: Beginning send to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw2500/fib.dll
    20160505 13:56:34: QFN: End send to https://ofx-prod-brand.intuit.com/qw2500/fib.dll, netstatus 0
    20160505 13:56:34:
    20160505 13:56:50:
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sherlock said:

Great!

Thanks for reporting back.