I get an error code 106 when trying to set up a credit card from a company I already have a card wit

Lee BrockLee Brock Member
edited September 2018 in

I have a credit card account with Capital One.  They issued another card account which uses the same profile and login info, so when I log in on their website I log in once and see both accounts on the home page.  

Now, But when I try to update my transactions, I get an error message: "Did you change your account name or number at Capital One Card Services?" Error 106

I tried adding a new account.  No luck

I made a backup and deleted the existing account in QM2016 and tried to set it up again and got the same error message.  

I tried searching your site for similar problems but didn't find anything with this same peculiar issue.  

Thank you

Comments

• Quicken DaveQuicken Dave Alumni
    edited March 2018

Hi Leebrock,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with this error. The 106 error is displayed if you (or your bank) changed the account name at your banks website or if your bank switched to a new account for you (such as for lost or stolen accounts). For more information about this error, including steps to resolve the issue, please take a look at thte following Knowledge Base article:

Error 106, 324, 168, or 999 When Downloading in Quicken for MacIf this information doesn’t answer all of your questions, please comment below so we can help you get the answers you need, as quickly as possible.

To help other users who may be having a similar problem, please use the buttons below to indicate whether this information was helpful and resolved the issue.

I hope this helps,        
    Dave
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

When you get a new credit card number, it's still the same physical account at the bank, as evidenced by the fact that your userID and password did not change at the bank.

IMHO, it's never a good idea to delete an account and all its transactions in order to troubleshoot a connectivity problem. That just makes the hole you're in a lot deeper.

I recommend you restore your Quicken data file from the backup you created.
    Next, follow the instructions in the link given to you by Quicken Dave to
    -deactivate the current (old number) credit card account and then
    -reactivate the account. Be sure to LINK the new account found at the bank with your current credit card account. You can continue to use the current account register and do not need to add a new Quicken account register (unless you so desire).
  • Lee BrockLee Brock Member
    edited July 2016

Hi Leebrock,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with this error. The 106 error is displayed if you (or your bank) changed the account name at your banks website or if your bank switched to a new account for you (such as for lost or stolen accounts). For more information about this error, including steps to resolve the issue, please take a look at thte following Knowledge Base article:

Error 106, 324, 168, or 999 When Downloading in Quicken for Mac

If this information doesn’t answer all of your questions, please comment below so we can help you get the answers you need, as quickly as possible.

To help other users who may be having a similar problem, please use the buttons below to indicate whether this information was helpful and resolved the issue.

I hope this helps,        
    Dave
    Thank you Dave.  Ok, I restored my file from the back up.  I followed the instructions from the link you provided.  But I got the exact same error message AND the account  disappeared from my List of Accounts. So I went into Hide and Show Accounts and, saw that the account was checked as hidden (it was not checked before).  So I unchecked it.  And then I went into Account/Settings and clicked Set up Transaction Download, went through the sign-in  process but still got the same error message.  
    Could it be because the 2nd card is so new?  
    Thanks.
    edited July 2016
    UKR said:

When you get a new credit card number, it's still the same physical account at the bank, as evidenced by the fact that your userID and password did not change at the bank.

IMHO, it's never a good idea to delete an account and all its transactions in order to troubleshoot a connectivity problem. That just makes the hole you're in a lot deeper.

I recommend you restore your Quicken data file from the backup you created.
    Next, follow the instructions in the link given to you by Quicken Dave to
    -deactivate the current (old number) credit card account and then
    -reactivate the account. Be sure to LINK the new account found at the bank with your current credit card account. You can continue to use the current account register and do not need to add a new Quicken account register (unless you so desire).

Thanks, usr, QW2013.  I've posted a comment in Dave's answer.
    edited July 2016

Hi Leebrock,

If this information doesn’t answer all of your questions, please comment below so we can help you get the answers you need, as quickly as possible.

I hope this helps,        
    Dave
    Dave, I still get the same error message after I followed the instructions you linked me to.  I called Capital One Credit Services and they, pretty much said it wasn't their problem and to seek help from Quicken Support.
  • Quicken DaveQuicken Dave Alumni
    edited December 2016

Hi Leebrock,

I hope this helps,        
    Dave
    If the instructions in teh article didn't resolve the problem, I would suggest that you reach out to Quicken customer support, so they can help you troubleshoot this further.

To reach out to a Quicken chat agent, visit the support page (see link below), you will have to select the issues that pertain to your situation, from the drop down menus. Once you've done this, a blue button will appear that will allow you to initiate the chat session.

www.quicken.com/contact-support

If you prefer phone support, Quicken phone support is available Monday through Friday, 5:00AM PST – 5:00PM PST, at 1-888-311-7276, for all supported products. Please be aware that phone support may have a longer wait time.