Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Reinvest Dividend is not working correctly.

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)

Question 1.   In Investment Account/Transaction. When Reinvest Dividend is used, the amount of reinvested shares are not being added to the total shares in the Security Portfolio, although the Cost Basis is increasing by the amount of Reinvested shares but the Total Value is not increasing! 

For Example:- If I have 10 shares to reinvest at $1.00 per share to 1000 I already have in the Portfolio. The Portfolio, after entering the reinvested Dividend shares is showing

Shares              Cost Basis                  Value

1000                  $1010                         $1000

Shouldn't it be showing ...Shares 1010, Cost Basis $1010 and Value $1010.

Question 2...Is there any way that a Security Name can be changed?

Example:   Changing Security ABC to Security ABF without changing the number of shares, cost and value.  The Cusip Number and Symbol also remain unchanged.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    Check the date of the reinvest transaction and the as-of date of the Portfolio view.
    re: name change: CTRL-Y, click on the security that you want to change, click Edit Security details, and change the name there.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • NotACPA
    edited October 2018
    You might also try clicking on any transaction in the investment account ... and then clicking CTRL-Z.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    Thank you.  The date of the reinvest transaction and the as-of date of the Portfolio view are the same.

re: name change: tried your suggestion of CTRL-Y and it just keeps beeping at me!

Also tried your CTRL-Z suggestion and that also just beeps at me.
    Either way...nothing is working!
  • NotACPA
    edited October 2018
    HMMM, perhaps your data file is corrupted.  Because, at the bare minimum, the name change should have worked.  SO, let's try this: FILE, File Operations, Copy.  Then, using, the copy, FILE, File Operations, Validate and Repair ... being sure to check BOTH "Validate File" and "Rebuild Investing Lots" before you click OK.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    OP has indicated they are using QMac.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • NotACPA
    edited October 2018
    OOPS, missed that. [mention://2979407 @dianeyvonneritson] My apologies.  My advice was for QWin ... and doesn't apply to QMac
  • Rtang
    Rtang Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Be sure to make a backup of your file first, just in case!
    1. For the reinvest Div: Check if there is a placeholder transaction at the very beginning of the register (earliest date).  If there, delete it.
    2. To change name of a security: Go  WINDOW  >  SECURITIES  and use the 'Edit' function'  (Little pencil)
    Be sure to make a backup of your file first, just in case!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    Thank you to everyone who has tried to help.  Unfortunately, changing the name from Securities/edit changes the name on all past history too.  I only want to change it from the end of June.

rtang...what do you mean by "placeholder transaction"? what does it look like?

I think I am just going to try to use a backup from the end of June and start again from there. Hopefully it will correct any problems I may have caused to my records by trying different remedies.

Thanks again.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Placeholder transactions are displayed in a faded font and will be the first (earliest) transaction in any given sequence.
    To find these transactions - try these steps in the Transaction register;
    Set Date filter to All Dates
    Add the Share Balance column to the display (not necessary but may help)
    Filter the register for the security in question - enter the security name in the Search box at upper-right.
    You should now see a complete transaction history for the given security.
    Scroll to the earliest transaction - if you find a Placeholder - delete it. The Placeholder will be in a faded font and will be a 'share balance adjustment' or similar (I forget what it says exactly).
    Once deleted, the placeholders do not recur.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2016
    Thank you JM.  I will keep that in mind in case it ever happens again.

I have managed to re-enter all transactions except one. Thanks again everyone.
  • Waleed
    Waleed Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Changing the name of a security is quite a common occurrence.  As you said, you don't want to change the past, just the going forward.  The way to do this is as a transaction in your brokerage account.  Use the Enter Transactions drop down, and select corporate name change.  It allows you to specify the date of the change, and everything is handled after that.
This discussion has been closed.