Will there be a Quicken Home and Business for Mac in the future? (213 Legacy Votes +1 Merged Vote)

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
     I like the configurability of the columns...
    Just keep in mind that this feature has nothing to do with a 2-line display and does not impede the ability to implement a 2-line display with this same feature.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
     @Frankie Z: Like you, I used Quicken for Mac for more than two decades. I signed up to beta test the original new generation product, Quicken 2015, and I (along with many other beta testers) lamented the lack of a two line register. It took me a little while of using it to discover it wasn't so bad. And over time, I've come to like it *better* than the old 2-line display. (I still use Quicken 2007, along with Quicken 2017). I like the configurability of the columns, and I find it easier to skim up and down a screen of data when every other line isn't different. 

Reasonable minds may disagree on any elements of a user interface. But I'd encourage you to keep an open mind and consider trying something new. This is not something you need to learn to do differently; you just have to try working with it.

(And I'd also say that this is one of the least of the issues a longtime Quicken user will encounter moving to the current Mac product!)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • lisa
    lisa Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
     I have been waiting for a decent mac platform since MSMoney left us....MAC VERSION OF QUICKEN HOME & BUSINESS PLEASSSSSSSEEE. I have been a quicken user for 10 years--still basically a robust check register. Tired of the prompts to update w/no real news. C'mon guys.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
     I just downloaded the Mac version after upgrading to Quicken H&B for my Windows version.  Look what the latest Mac version says in the About screen.  

• jacobs
    edited January 2019
    That’s interesting, in a kind of weird way. It seems that they consider “Home and Business” to be your *membership level* and not the actual software product.I assume there is only a single software application for the Mac, and the membership level determines if there are features you don’t have access to. There’s little or no difference between Deluxe and Premier at this point, and the limitations on Starter could simply be handled by the software. This makes it much simpler to develop and fix bugs when there’s only a single codebase they work on (which was a driving reason behind the switch to subscriptions).
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Yes that is what they mean...very confusing and misleading...

And yes, in ALL versions of Quicken, both QWin and QMac, Quicken now simply turns on/off features based on subscription level, using a single codebase. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• bdbaddog
    bdbaddog Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
     So can you create invoices, etc on your mac now?
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
     Hello bdbaddog, appreciate your question.

Mac does not have the option for Quicken Home and Business, including the invoicing and other options within the Windows version.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

All I want for Christmas is Home & Business for Mac native.

Yes that is what they mean...very confusing and misleading...

And yes, in ALL versions of Quicken, both QWin and QMac, Quicken now simply turns on/off features based on subscription level, using a single codebase. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

thank you for all this information. If Quicken for Mac can't do 2-line display, I won't be able to use it. I've done 20 years of Quicken 2-line display...not changing now. I'll run one of the virtual machine options or remote into my old computer. Thanks again for the information.

BTW, the lack of 2-line display, though it may be a nuisance should not be show-stopper. Though very desirable for many, there are many far more critical features to address. That said, You can add your VOTE to Add option for 2-line/row display.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version. This will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for User Interface Options and FeaturesClick on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Thanks for putting a vote for a Home and Business version.  Anyone else interested in this?  We still have quite a bit of functionality to add to Quicken for Mac just to get it even close to Quicken Windows so the reality is it may be some time before we get there but would love to find out how many people are interested in this.

Definitely interested.  We are a mac household, and have been looking for software that will include rental property management accounting.  The lack of this option has kept us from buying Quicken or any other software at.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I want Home & Business for Mac..

So sad that Quicken Home & Business is not made for Mac. I scrapped my PC for a Mac. Love the Mac. Hate the accounting programs. I’ve purchased and scrapped several and have tried trials only to be disappointed. I need integrated invoicing and checking. Quicken does not offer that except in their Quick Books Pro. That program is far too large for small business owners. We little guys need Home and Business for Mac.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I've been a Quicken user for 10+ years. Two years ago I also switched to Mac and now I have to run Parallels & Windows7 on the Mac just to continue using Home & Business. It works but it's far from ideal and it wastes a lot of time. Please make H&B available for Mac. Otherwise I need to find something else.
    Thank you.

Consider using remote access software to access your PC from your Mac so you only have to work on one computer (several free options, e.g. NoMachine and Teamviewer) to access Quicken on one computer from the other, or even mobile devices (see this great article for complete review of many options (most are free): http://machow2.com/rdp-for-mac/ ).Though it is written with Macs in mind, many of the solutions work on Windows too. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Thanks for putting a vote for a Home and Business version.  Anyone else interested in this?  We still have quite a bit of functionality to add to Quicken for Mac just to get it even close to Quicken Windows so the reality is it may be some time before we get there but would love to find out how many people are interested in this.

Carol Schmitt you may want to add your votes to
    Columnar report (with selectable choices for rows and columns)

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, I highly recommend you to add your VOTES to related IDEAS found on the:
    Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

For background, you may want to read this post too.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Just a reminder that anyone looking for Rental Manager features, you should add your VOTE to 
    Rental Properties Management (RPM) for Mac.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I know that in the two years that this thread has been going that you could have written a completely new application Quicken Home and Business for Mac if you wanted to. The effort of writing this application is not relevant, it is the motivation to serve Mac customers.

I submit (and seem to have read someplace) that the company is trying to streamline it's offerings and suspect that zero effort is going into writing a desktop Mac product. I suspect there will be an online, cross-platform, offering that will sunset all of the other versions of Quicken.

The revenue stream of recurring online subscriptions is far more lucrative than having customers hang on to older outdated machines in order to run the older familiar software that they currently are used to. The company is all about the bottom line and you will adapt.

My suggestion is that if there is a rouge programmer or young upstart or just someone interested in taking on Goliath the opportunity is ripe to make a good living from a small well managed company offering just what the customer wants. Go for it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Yes, I want Home & Business for Mac. I need to integrate invoicing with my checking. Can’t do that in my current program.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

yes, I agree, we need a Quicken Home & Business for Mac, soon!! Please!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I would love to see a Mac version of Quicken Home & Business.  Yesterday would be good, thank you very much. I don't want to plunk down the money for a program that won't suit my needs, so the sooner it's available the sooner the money will flow into  Quicken's coffers! (Sound effect: **cha-ching!**)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Hello bdbaddog, appreciate your question.

Mac does not have the option for Quicken Home and Business, including the invoicing and other options within the Windows version.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.

Dear Quicken Harold,

Stop apologizing and let the powers that be know that there are legions of Mac users that would pay hard earned cash for QH&B in a heartbeat! So, get those coders busy and get it done. Thanks.

Respectfully
    E Meng
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

Way more people want this that are listed here. You are losing tons of Mac people. I am looking right now for an alternative for Quicken Mac. Mabe Hurdlr. But I have so much data in Quicken I don't want to leave but...And update the budgets more like Mint.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

For effs sake, why is this even a question? Of course you should have this for mac. I have purchased it and I'm very frustrated I can't use my Mac for this. 
  • jacobs
    edited April 2019

Rachel, if you read little of this thread (try this post and this one), you will understand why it was a question... and why it's still an unanswered question. The basic Quicken Deluxe for Mac, which they have been building over the past 5-6 years, still does not have all the capabilities of Quicken Windows Deluxe -- and the Home & Business features are built on top of that base. So they need to finish rounding out the capabilities of the core Quicken Mac product -- a process which is still in progress but has proven to be slow -- before they can do the additional development work to create the Home & Business features for Mac.

I'm not quite sure how you bought it expecting to use if on your Mac; the Quicken website pretty clearly shows there is no Home & Business product for the Mac. (They do let you download Quicken Mac at no additional cost with your subscription, but there's no Mac equivalent to the Windows Home & Business version.) 

John, your comment that they are losing "tons of Mac people" is the second factor here. Once they finishing building out the core Quicken Mac, the question Quicken management needs to answer is how many people would pay for a Mac Home & Business version. Obviously, there are a bunch who have posted here, and many others beyond that who don't visit this forum. But they have to try to estimate exactly how big that market is to be sure that there are enough potential buyers to justify the significant development work. And it's complicated to estimate. Some users would migrate from Windows to Mac, so while that's good for retaining customers, it doesn't bring in new revenue; on the other hand, if users will otherwise leave for other products, then it is revenue they'd retain if they had such a product.

All of this is to say only that it's not as simple a question as it may at first appear to be. I would guess that inside the corporate offices, they've done all these assessments and have decided what the future roadmap is.

Unfortunately for us users,  Quicken rarely communicates where it is going 6 or 12 or 18 months down the road -- in part not to telegraph it to their competitors, in part because development priorities do shift over time. On something as fundamental as this question -- "Will there be a Mac Home & Business version?" -- it would be really nice if they broke that mold and gave users and potential users some ballpark idea: "No, not currently in our plans" or "Yes, planned for the future but not before 2021" or "Yes, development work is underway, hoping for a 2020 release" or whatever. I'm just noting that this type of communication is not the normal way Quicken operates.

---

UPDATING this post to note that this topic has changed to a status of "Under Consideration" as of April 4, 2019. There's not much we can read into that, since one can assume it has essentially been "under consideration" since Quicken Mac product manager Marcus first asked 30 months earlier about user interest in a Home & Business version. Nonetheless, it at least indicates they haven't decided not to do it. they unfortunately still have a lot of work to do to get the core Quicken Deluxe on par with the Windows version, so adding the Home & Business functionality on top of that seems likely to still be pretty far into the future (unless they've been quietly working on it already).
  • Andrew Hahn
    Andrew Hahn Member ✭✭
    Hi. I'm sure this has been asked before. Would love to reiterate the need for a Quicken Home and Small Business for Mac OS. Or, at least an online version. I'm considering switching to Quickbooks, but that is more than I need. Thanks!
  • Debbie
    Debbie Member
    I too vote for a more robust business version of Quicken for Mac. Still using Quicken 2007 for my business, and would really like to upgrade without losing functionality and detail oriented accounting, reports, categories and tracking. Please, you can do it!

• jacobs
    @Debbie Since you are using Quicken 2007, you aren't using the functionality that people are asking for in Quicken Home & Business (such as invoicing and managing leases/rental properties) -- Quicken 2007 never had those features like the Windows Home and Business version.

If there are specific things you use in Quicken 2007 which you believe you cannot do in Quicken Mac 2019, it might help if you started a new thread about those issues. It may be that there actually are ways to do what you need -- some of the reports features added over the past year are very useful and powerful, but hidden away and easily missed -- or it may be that there are things we truly cannot yet do in Quicken 2019. If you explain what you're wanting to be able to do, we can explore what is and isn't currently possible.
  • cherishen
    cherishen Member ✭✭
    I just recently switched from Quicken for Windows Home and Business version.  There was a learning curve over the last month or so, but I am really glad that I switched now.  A lot of things are a lot easier and smoother to use.

But, I do consulting on the side, and have always used the Quicken for Windows to create and track my invoices.  It would be great if Quicken for Mac would have that capability.  I am maintaining a copy of Quicken for Windows just for invoice creation.  I'd rather have everything together.

Thanks for making Quicken for Mac a great product.  I tried it several years ago, and I hated it.  I really like it now.  You guys did a good job with it.
  • katray
    katray Member

Quicken Home and Business is the best and most perfect solution for our very small businesses. I have looked for a long time for something that would do what Quicken H&B does and there is no equal. Two years ago I switched to a Mac. I would really love to do away with Windows and Quicken H&B is the only reason I still run Windows on my Mac. Macintosh computers are being purchased at a greater quantity than ever before. Please consider creating Quicken Home and Business for Mac. I, for one, would greatly appreciate it.
    TerryF said:

Quicken needs to devote more internal resources to build out H&B for Mac !

• katray
    katray Member
    It's April 29, 2019... three years later and YES!  I VOTE for MAC version for Home and Business. I'm ready to move on and away from Quicken... been limping along without a Business version for long enough. 

Please provide some ETA for a MAC version for Business Owners.. thank you.
  • Sam Brandt
    Sam Brandt Member
    Any plans to make this available in either a native Mac version or plans to migrate the stand alone version online?