Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How do I download quotes for an exchange traded option? - Q2016 Windows

Richard Carnwath
Richard Carnwath Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
I'm using Quicken 2016 for Windows 10. I've seen answers from YEARS ago that Quicken doesn't support Options pricing. However I thought this was no longer the case. I know the official format for CBOE option symbols. I just need to know what to enter in Quicken 2016.

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    See the Help files. There is a section on recording exchange traded options.image
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Quicken does not support downloading quotes for exchange traded options.  There's no problem entering the purchase or sale of an exchange traded option, put updating the market price of that option going forward by downloads is not supported.  You'll need to update the price manually.
  • johncros
    johncros Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I do not believe that the Quicken/Intuit pricing servers will provide any pricing for option holdings.  
    At least on my brokerage accounts at Fidelity, they include the option transactions, holdings and pricing for my option positions in the data that I download from Fidelity via OSU.  When I transact in a new option, the processing the Fidelity download prompts Quicken to ask me if it should create a new security for the new option.  Fidelity seems to automatically code the opening short positions as shrtsells but by default, expiring options or covering a short comes down as a add/buy instead of a cvrshort.  I have to manually change those.       
    I believe it depends on what your broker provides.  I do not know which other brokers provide this but it is available if your account is at Fidelity. 
  • Richard Carnwath
    Richard Carnwath Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Thanks John. I use Vanguard with similar results. I don't know why Intuit doesn't supply pricing.
  • johncros
    johncros Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Thanks John. I use Vanguard with similar results. I don't know why Intuit doesn't supply pricing.

With 20+ strike prices x weekly, monthly, and quarterly expirations and LEAPs for most every equity each day, it would be a significant amount of data to gather and distribute while probably only a small percentage of Quicken users probably invest in options.  
    Until CBOE moved away from the alphabetic coding of expiration dates a few years ago, duplications could have been a nasty thing to deal with.  It is just speculation but that may be part of why Intuit left it up to brokers to manage the Q reporting on their own customers options.  
    My guess is that the brokers that care do a good job getting the data out to their customers.
This discussion has been closed.