Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

missing transactions cost - auto lookup

Anon2
Anon2 Member ✭✭
edited June 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Quicken 2015 Deluxe - retirement account+

My brokerage often messes up and I get a lot of placeholders. To resolve these we need to enter the cost on a certain data. Why doesn't Quicken suggest the proper/best guess number? Certainly the cost history is available either in Quicken or the web - why do I have to go find a best guess?

I understand the actual value may be different for a variety of reasons but in most case the close for the security on that day is close enough.

Is there a one click way to get the cost I'm missing?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I do not think it would be fiscally responsible for the program to guess about a cost basis, nor would I agree that the close for the day would be 'close enough'.  Identifying a discrepancy on a certain date does not mean the discrepancy was initiated on that date, and adding shares on a date does not mean that those shares were acquired on that date for prices in that date's trading range.  

I think you need to get a better handle on why your brokerage is coming up with so many placeholders, if that is the underlying issue.  
  • Anon2
    Anon2 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I'm not running a brokerage here, just trying to get a reasonable handle on where I am - I would still like a lookup on the Edit dialog. It should be the choice of a user to "get closing price" via button IMO. Judging by the old posts on this topic I had hoped Quicken had come around and resolved the issue - I just not. As it is I just ignore the placeholders because it is too hard to discover the price. Of course my Quicken balance is off a fraction of a percent I have better things to do than spend time to look up closing prices manually,
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    So there is not a one-click method to accomplish your goal as is.  You might want to post an "Idea" on this site flushing out more about how you would find this beneficial and how you would like to see it developed.  "Ideas" from this site should get to the program developers better that Questions.  
This discussion has been closed.