Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Exchange Traded Fund VXX

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Q2016R8  I want to add Exchanged Traded Fund VXX to my portfolio.  When I ask to look up the symbol it never finds it.  I checked and VXX is the proper symbol and it is listed.  Can anyone explain what is happening?  First time this has happened.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    If you already have VXX used as a symbol on a security, you cannot (easily) create a new security with a different name using that ticker.  In your security list (Ctrl-Y) sort by ticker (click the ticker symbol header) and see if you have VXX under another name.  

Secondly, what are you doing that it never finds it?  My typical process for this would be to a) Choose New Security from the security list, Enter VXX in the ticker symbol field, then click the Next button (not the Look up button).  'Next' usually proceeds better than 'Look Up' in my experience.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

If you already have VXX used as a symbol on a security, you cannot (easily) create a new security with a different name using that ticker.  In your security list (Ctrl-Y) sort by ticker (click the ticker symbol header) and see if you have VXX under another name.  

Secondly, what are you doing that it never finds it?  My typical process for this would be to a) Choose New Security from the security list, Enter VXX in the ticker symbol field, then click the Next button (not the Look up button).  'Next' usually proceeds better than 'Look Up' in my experience.  

I just checked the security list and there is no another security listed for VXX.  I can not get the next button to highlight when I enter VXX as a symbol to find. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

Would you mind trying to add VXX to your list of securities and see if the same happens for you?  Thanks.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

VXX was found OK on my QW2014 installation, but with non-alphanumeric characters in its security name.  

There was a report on the predecessor site to this about some ETFs not being found correctly by QW2016 and having non-alphanumeric characters in there security names.  The characteristics you cite are similar, per my recollection - the symbol never gets found.  

I do not think that prior post made the transition over to this new site this week.

You might try creating the security with your defined name and no ticker, then editing the security to have the VXX ticker.   (Just a thought).    
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

Okay, thanks.  Just interesting it works on 2014, but not 2016.  Not a big issue, but it is frustrating.  Thanks for taking the time.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

The non-alphanumeric characters appear to be the result of Quicken failing to correctly decode strings with special characters. If you go to the iPath web site, they call the fund iPath® S&P 500 VIX Short-Term FuturesTM ETN. I wouldn't expect this to cause any problems other than display errors, though.

So, Jim... feeling bearish?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

I purchased to offset some losses if the market goes lower.  Guess what, two days after I buy, I'm in the hole on that purchase, but my other stocks have taken off.   Go figure!!  Thanks.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    In QW2016 you will get the endless red spinner when you enter the symbol. Go down to the manual add link below and click it while the spinner is spinning, and It will find vxx, but with the special characters included in the name. Accept it and then edit the name later.
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

The non-alphanumeric characters appear to be the result of Quicken failing to correctly decode strings with special characters ... I wouldn't expect this to cause any problems other than display errors, though. 
    I speculate that those special characters are causing a hang-up in QW2016.  Both cases (this and the one from the old site) I recall had that common characteristic.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

I was able to get it accept VXX by clicking on the manual button while the system was just spinning away. Working now. Thanks all. Jim
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

My understanding is that you shouldn't hold VXX for longer than 1 day at a time. It is guaranteed to go down over any longer period of time. If you hear about Brexit or a Trump election, buy it the next morning and sell it in the afternoon.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.