Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Reconcile an investment

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited July 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Somehow I totally messed up dealing with multiple placemarks and now my Investment share balance, cost, everything is WAY out of whack.  This account goes back to 2007 with hundreds of entries.  How can I reconcile this without spending days reentering everything?

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Can you please tell us what Quicken product you are using (QWin or QMac) and what version you are using (2015, 2016, etc.). 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2016
    I am using QWin, 2016
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Most likely there's no "automatic", "push a button" approach available to you here.

IF your FI has accurate cost and share balances for all of your investments THEN one approach is to do a download, accept placeholders - which should get your number of shares by security correct - and then go and adjust the placeholders' cost to make each security's cost agree, in total, to the FI's numbers.  Then you vow to NEVER, EVER AGAIN accept a placeholder.  That will certainly mean that the detail of the account - an accurate accounting of lots' share numbers and cost basis - will not be correct but the Quicken Account will be accurate overall and should remain accurate, overall, going forward.  I the account is some sort of tax-deferred account like an IRA should work OK since lot-by-lot basis is not vital for tax reporting. 

Of course if you do want the detail in the Quicken Account accurately stated then the month-by-month agreement of transactions to monthly statements and month-by-month agreement of balances to monthly statements is about the only way to get there.  You don't say how long this problem has been going on but if it's fairly recent then this approach shouldn't involve a ton of work.  You find out where your Quicken Account first diverged from the FI's monthly statements and then work forward from there.  If you've been accepting downloads from the FI then the probability is that the work won't involve "reentering" information as much as it involves deleting erroneous placeholders.

(I have noticed that Q2016 frequently proposes placeholders after downloading where the amount claimed to be "off" is exactly the amount of the last dividend reinvestment.  If you've experienced the same thing and have been (mindlessly) accepting those placeholders then presumably simply deleting a bunch of duplicate placeholders cure the problem.)
This discussion has been closed.