Home Quicken for Mac Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac Manage Accounts and Transactions (Mac)

Loan Amortization in Quicken for Mac (333 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I had been using Quicken 2014 in a VM for the past few years and just decided to get this antic OS X version last night.  So far I am getting used to it pretty well, but have to say that I was pretty disappointed when I found out there was no amortization.  I only have a few loans (mortgage and car payment), but the idea that I will have to look up the amortization schedule and manually enter the P&I each time seems to be opposite all the other areas that are automated for me in this new version.

Agree it's a negative but there is an excellent template in Numbers that can be used until QM fixes the issue
  • Johnathan CallenderJohnathan Callender Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

I had been using Quicken 2014 in a VM for the past few years and just decided to get this antic OS X version last night.  So far I am getting used to it pretty well, but have to say that I was pretty disappointed when I found out there was no amortization.  I only have a few loans (mortgage and car payment), but the idea that I will have to look up the amortization schedule and manually enter the P&I each time seems to be opposite all the other areas that are automated for me in this new version.

I know there are other tools you can use but the point of Quicken is to have all of you finances in one place right?
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Totally in agreement but until QM does the right thing, why not use something that is readily available in Numbers
    edited October 2016

Don't disagree with you, and for that I will just budget my payments and not mess with the loan/asset.  I just go to my account website and see what my balances every couple of months.  When they get it corrected I will try again,  just scares me that such an oversight could happen.  Quicken should hope someone doesn't start up a new company that gives them real competition in  Personal Finance software.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

All this talk is fine but do not forget to cast your VOTE above to make your voice count by clicking VOTE at the top of this page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited March 2017

Agreed! This is an important function.

What can I say that hasn't been said?  It's just ridiculous to have a so called financial software that can't add a mortgage.  
    edited October 2017

Agreed! This is an important function.

Then simply add your VOTE above to make your voice count.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

? Add your vote here:

(

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2017

I don't know why users are coming here and commenting about workarounds using completely different systems. This is a Quicken forum, requesting an enhancement to the Quicken system.

"Quicken Marcus" pretty poor performance on followup and response on this issue......
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2016

I don't know why users are coming here and commenting about workarounds using completely different systems. This is a Quicken forum, requesting an enhancement to the Quicken system.

"Quicken Marcus" pretty poor performance on followup and response on this issue......
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Petejake, when someone suggests a workaround, it's not a suggestion for a permanent way of doing things, it's only a suggestion to help people who need to deal with the issue now, while the program can't. It's certainly worth requesting this feature of Quicken management, in all the places you can. But until it does exist -- and I hope from Marcus posting about it (which is rare) that it means it will be coming sometime during the life of Quicken 2017 over the next year -- suggestions for workarounds here are simply users trying to help fellow Quicken users manage with the current reality. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited December 2016

I think the point is why users come HERE to an IDEA post intended to make a request for an enhancement to offer those suggestions...that is what the rest of the forum area is supposed to be for.

Suggestions here end up being a distraction from the original intent of the thread, so it ends up hijacking the thread.

? Add your vote here:

(

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2017

I agree, this is about important features missing from the program that should have been included from the start.  Talking about workarounds and other programs take away from the basic fact that a feature should be available and that all of us users on the forum agree on that.  The forum is intended to be specific about how Quicken can improve itself, not how we can "work around" blatant missing features.  Simply put......add the amortization feature to the program, it is a basic and necessary tool for any accounting/tracking software and is currently available to everyone except Mac users.
    edited December 2016

Don't forget to add your vote above by clicking VOTE at the top.

But also to clarify, the IDEA section of the forum is intended to point out areas Quicken can improve. The rest of the forum is there for user to user support on how to deal with various issues, including providing work-arounds for shortcomings in Quicken.

HTH

? Add your vote here:

(

• Quicken MarcusQuicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Thanks to everyone for providing specific requirements of what they would like to see in this feature. I know it seems weird providing what to you may seem obvious but I assure that what you think is table stakes, someone else thinks is a waste of time. Also, please try to refrain from taking your frustration out on other customers. I'm positive you all agree on this issue.
    edited August 2018
    BTW, in case it is not clear, this feature should also include the ability to view the loan amortization schedule. 

? Add your vote here:

(

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2017

Thanks to everyone for providing specific requirements of what they would like to see in this feature. I know it seems weird providing what to you may seem obvious but I assure that what you think is table stakes, someone else thinks is a waste of time. Also, please try to refrain from taking your frustration out on other customers. I'm positive you all agree on this issue.

I just went from Window Quicken to MAC Quicken.  I feel ripped off for the price and lose the abilities i had with windows.  I would like to see the same abilities that i had in windows.  For the cost it should do the same or more.
    edited December 2016

Mel, I think most Quicken for Mac users would like to see the program have the same features as the Windows version, but that's probably about two years in the future. The Mac version was re-written from scratch a few years ago, and the developers are slowly (slowly!) adding more features that Windows and legacy Mac users are asking for -- but it's a lengthy process to add all the features and functionality the Windows program has accumulated over nearly three decades of development. The small size of the Mac development team has also been a limiting factor, although the company said it was going to double the number of programmers on the Mac team this year to speed development. 
  • Snoopy FCSnoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I agree that it would be helpful to see the amortization schedule.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited April 2017

Absolutely same view here, Marcus.  I'm glad you're paying attention to this, but this isn't some "check the votes on the forum and put it on the future features list" thing.  This is table stakes - the very first thing Quicken needs after bank accounts.  It applies to EVERYONE who has a mortgage, car loan, student loan, etc.   Please do not spend a minute thinking about what this feature needs to include.  Go look at Quicken for Windows and replicate what it does.  80/20 rule.  Get the basics right.  When I create a loan, I should be able to tell Quicken the principal, interest rate and term (number of months) and monthly payment.  It should then calculate out how much of each payment will go to principal vs. interest, a split that will change every month as the principal balance drops, and let me set the payment up as a recurring monthly transaction.  End of story.  That gets the ball over the net.  I don't calculate a payoff balance every month.  If I have to call the bank for that, it's not big deal.  I DO make a payment every month.  Marcus, If I sound a little agitated about this, I am.  I am still running Quicken for Windows under Parallels on my Mac because Q for Mac can't amortize a loan.  It is a HUGE pain in the ****.  By that I mean that yesterday, I upgraded fromYosemite to El Cap.  That took 2 hours.  I spent another 4 hours trying to get Parallels to work under El Cap.  Still not working.  The only reason I'm doing any of that is that Quicken for Mac can't amortize a loan.  This is BASIC, BASIC, BASIC.  Please go show this thread to the Product Owner.  Do it now.  I'm serious.  Please add this feature ASAP.  Top of the stack.  

I just stumbled onto this support forum because I saw the news about Quicken for Mac 2017. And guess what is NOT in this new version....really I know I don't have to even say it. 2017 and still no loan amortization???? I know I'm just one person but I will tell you this. I'm not spending another dime on a Quicken upgrade until you have basic loan amortization.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited August 2018
    Since others are coming in here and discussing work-arounds, let's discuss what options are available other than Quicken. Does anyone have experience with any other financial management systems?
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited April 2017
    Guess I'll add my $.02 - this missing feature is one of the most frustrating things about Quicken 2017.  I'm thankful I can still run Quicken 2007 till this gets worked out... having to pull out an amortization schedule every month when I never had to before, and having to keep track of which entries I've updated vs. which I haven't is a huge, huge pain and to me it's a bug, not a missing feature.  This worked great before, and needs to work again pronto.

The fact this "feature" was left out of Quicken when it was rewritten, and still isn't there a couple of years later, makes me worry that much of the Quicken team may not be "eating their own dogfood."  Anybody who has a loan in Quicken should find this bug incredibly annoying, so I'd expect someone on the team to have addressed this by now...
    edited December 2016
    petejake said:

Since others are coming in here and discussing work-arounds, let's discuss what options are available other than Quicken. Does anyone have experience with any other financial management systems?

I strongly suggest we do not. The purpose of an IDEA thread is to request features to be added to or changed in Quicken. This info is suppose to get to the developers. 

I understand the frustration...not a single feature that I am waiting for has been implemented since QM2015 was released in Sep 2014...I'm still waiting for several...

But let's not detract from that here. If you need to, start another discussion thread to discuss this further. 

Otherwise, use this thread to add your VOTE above by clicking on the button.

? Add your vote here:

(

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited February 2017

If someone on the Quicken team thinks this "feature" is a waste of time, then they shouldn't be working for your company.  Loan amortization is basic finance 101, and is exactly the sort of thing people need software to help manage.  

If anyone on the team still thinks its a waste of time, have them set up a loan at home and watch as their Quicken balance slowly diverges from the bank's balance over a few months, and then hopefully they'll understand why this is non-negotiable, basic functionality.  Dogfood FTW!

It's downright embarrassing that Quicken for Mac still hasn't added it after all this time, especially when it worked on the Mac edition 10+ years ago, and continues to work in Windows editions today.
    edited February 2017

Steve, for what it's worth, the product manager has said they know this is a feature people want, and they plan to add it at some point in the future. I don't think anyone has indicated that it's a waste of time. There have simply been so many features to create as they continue the multi-year process of re-writing Quicken for Mac that they haven't gotten to this one yet. (Unfortunately what worked in Quicken 2007 doesn't really matter, because they had to start over completely from scratch, an all the features people liked about Quicken 2007, or Quicken Windows, needs to be created again.) And yes, users who want this REALLY want this! Last year, they answered the call of users who REALLY wanted budgeting implemented. Hopefully this will be the year that they add loan amortization. (Although the product manager has said that they need to do a bunch of work to disconnect Quicken from back-end services provided by former parent Intuit, so it sound like there may not be a lot of big new features for awhile.)

In the meantime, if you set up your loan account in Quicken, and set up a recurring monthly loan payment transaction in your checking account, all you need to do each month is update the values of the split between principle (transfer to the loan account) and interest expense. If you use one of many free websites to generate and print an amortization schedule, then each month you just adjust the split for the correct principle and interest that month. Or you can get the values from your loan institution. Yes, this does require manually adjusting the transaction once a month, but it only takes a minute to do, so it isn't too painful unless you have more than a couple loans. (Please understand I'm not suggesting Quicken shouldn't built this in -- they need to; I'm only trying to help people who need a way to track their loans now.)
    edited December 2016
    Steve C said:

Guess I'll add my $.02 - this missing feature is one of the most frustrating things about Quicken 2017.  I'm thankful I can still run Quicken 2007 till this gets worked out... having to pull out an amortization schedule every month when I never had to before, and having to keep track of which entries I've updated vs. which I haven't is a huge, huge pain and to me it's a bug, not a missing feature.  This worked great before, and needs to work again pronto.

The fact this "feature" was left out of Quicken when it was rewritten, and still isn't there a couple of years later, makes me worry that much of the Quicken team may not be "eating their own dogfood."  Anybody who has a loan in Quicken should find this bug incredibly annoying, so I'd expect someone on the team to have addressed this by now...

Steve, this has been a complaint users have voiced since the next-generation Quicken product launched as Quicken 2015 two years ago. The product manager has said it's one of the top user-requested features, and more recently indicated they do have it on their development roadmap. (We just don't know yet when it will surface.) My guess is that this feature might arrive later in the life of this product year (e.g spring or summer 2017), but I've certainly guessed wrong before. Marcus indicated that in the short-term future, they have a lot of work to do to separate Quicken from back-end services provided by former owner Intuit, so I'd expect them to be doing that infrastructure work that won't result in visible new features over the next several months.

While I understand your frustration, it's honestly not a bug because it's something that just doesn't exist in this program. A bug is when something doesn't work as it was designed to work. The problem with the re-write of Quicken Mac was that the development team was very small, too small to re-create nearly 20 years of code development that culminated in Quicken 2007 in just a few years. They prioritized the features they thought were most critical for the largest number of users. You can disagree with their priorities -- and many users have! -- but the fact is that they lacked the resources to provide all the features users wanted, even over several years of work.

If you want to look for positive signs, the new President of Quicken said (a) they are going to work to bring the Mac product closer to feature parity with Quicken Windows (and Quicken 2007), although it will still take at least another year, and (b) that they are doubling the size of the Mac development team this year to speed development.

In terms of dealing with this omission, I found that once I got over the annoyance that it wasn't there, creating a work-around wasn't as painful as you're describing it to be. I just update the split value once a month when I reconcile my checking account. But since the loan payment from your checking account doesn't change from month to month, you could decide to do this as infrequently as once a year, to get your interest expense and loan balance correct at year-end. For those who have one or two loans, it's pretty quick on a monthly basis; for someone who has maybe five college loans, two car loans, and two home loans, I can see how doing even a simple adjustment like this every month for so many accounts would be a much bigger pain.

Again, I'm not trying to justify Quicken the way it is, only to provide a little background about how we got here, and possibly a little help on how to deal with it until Quicken gets around to building this desired feature. 
    edited January 2017
    Steve C said:

My bigger issue with this was not having to manually adjust my Principal and interest splits.  The issue I had was when I entered my payment to the loan asset in QM2016 that it would not show the amount under my budget because it saw it as a transfer to my asset account instead of a payment to my loan.  Can anyone confirm this has been fixed in QM2017?  
  • JackJack Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Loan money out to others for Mac 2017.

QWin had the ability to lend money out and run and Amortization Schedulke that automatically tied to the payments made by the borrower. I tried to post on the Loan (Mortgage) "get satisfation" thread but it was closed. I can sure do the workabound for now but I have several notes that I hold and it's extra work.

I'm trying to make the switch to Mac 2017 and have finally been able to move a couple of accounts over with the changes you've made recently. 

Thank you for the Mac attention. Like others I'm trying to be done with Parallels and Quicken is the only program keeping me tied to it.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited April 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled quicken for MAC 2017 Loan Amortization Not Supported???.

Please add this feature!! I just switched from Quicken for Windows to Quicken for MAC 2017 and I can't believe Loan Amortization isn't a function of Quicken for MAC?
  • MegMeg Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Record and track a loan you make as an asset (not a liability!!).

When a Quicken user makes a loan to another person, it is an asset, not a liability.  Quicken 2017 provides the ability to track a loan's payments and amortization schedule as a liability only, thus making a recurring mistake in total assets, and making it impossible to make a TRANSFER when a payment is made. Quicken 2007 had this ability (and when I converted, I notice that the loan amortization no longer functioned properly).  I understand this feature is available in Quicken for Windows.  A financial management tool ought to have this feature, and it should be easy to add (since you have it for the liability side).
    edited July 2018
    Meg said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Record and track a loan you make as an asset (not a liability!!).

When a Quicken user makes a loan to another person, it is an asset, not a liability.  Quicken 2017 provides the ability to track a loan's payments and amortization schedule as a liability only, thus making a recurring mistake in total assets, and making it impossible to make a TRANSFER when a payment is made. Quicken 2007 had this ability (and when I converted, I notice that the loan amortization no longer functioned properly).  I understand this feature is available in Quicken for Windows.  A financial management tool ought to have this feature, and it should be easy to add (since you have it for the liability side).

Meg,

Yes, this is a massing feature in Quicken Mac at this time. When they implemented loans for mortgages, the product manager said they knew there were other types of loans they needed to come back to automate, but they were further down on the development priority roadmap.

That said, you can still handle such loans pretty easily in Quicken Mac, although it's not automated. You need to create an amortization table outside of Quicken -- there are many free ones on websites you can find with a quick search-- and print out the schedule. With that in hand, you create an asset account in Quicken for the amount you loaned out. You then create a scheduled transaction for the payments: a deposit into your checking account for the full amount of the monthly payment you receive, entered as a split between (1) interest income and (2) a transfer to the asset account for the principle being repaid. Making this a scheduled transaction will make it show up every month. All you need to do from time to time is to open the payment transactions which have been received and edit the split amount between interest and principle repayment from the amortization table. It's not fully automated, but it takes about 30 seconds to adjust the split amounts and keep your records accurate and up-to-date. Again, this is the work-around until such time as the developers add this as an automated feature.  
This discussion has been closed.