Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Can't delete or resolve a Placeholder

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Using Quicken Deluxe 2016 since 2007. The stock account, with 70-80 different corporations, has been with the same broker throughout, but in 2013 all stocks were transferred to another account when we redrew our will. The old account finally shows 0. However, the new account shows transactions I don't understand going back to when the original account was established six years earlier. Also there were quite a few errors- including transferring-in shares from an unrelated account, and one holding showing -415 shares! There were major cash-balance errors. I have been working for days trying to straighten this out. Right now I have 26 placeholders that show up - and about 2,600 altogether if I check "Show Hidden Placeholders". Clearing this check, I have not been able to resolve the Placeholders that show up - there are no missing transactions, the cost for the shares and their number shows up correctly, and the bottom line number is "0". So I am unable to delete them.
My Holdings share total and cost is correct, but the only way I can get the Holdings Cash correct is clicking on "Cash" on the bottom of the holdings window and entering the correct cash balance as of that date. This introduces XIn and Xout journal entries in significant amounts.
I can manage because I prepare my tax returns from data downloaded directly from the brokers - I am sorely tempted to say "The Hell with It" and let the system make these Xin and Xout entries as long as the share totals and cost is it least approximately correct.

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    If this is a recent upgrade to 2016 you might try re-converting a Q15 backup dat file to see if you still get the errors. This might also be unique to Q16 R8 so you could also uninstall and re-install but don't let it upgrade, then convert the Q15 file. These are all shots in the dark so you might just Contact Quicken Support
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for your response. I'm wondering what would happen if I simply delete all the placeholders, then go back, month by month from the middle of 2013 when this account was created, using my broker's file as the source document to make corrections? The biggest frustration is being unable to resolve placeholders that already have a zero balance at the bottom of the window. Working at this has taken far more time than going back transaction by transaction and editing errors.
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Thanks for your response. I'm wondering what would happen if I simply delete all the placeholders, then go back, month by month from the middle of 2013 when this account was created, using my broker's file as the source document to make corrections? The biggest frustration is being unable to resolve placeholders that already have a zero balance at the bottom of the window. Working at this has taken far more time than going back transaction by transaction and editing errors.

As long as you make a backup copy of the file, you should be fine. If you use a Banking Transactions report it should give you the ability to select and delete multiple placeholders at one time.
This discussion has been closed.