Sort accounts alphabetically?

Is there a way to sort accounts alphabetically? Please don't tell me about the little "order" icon with up and down arrows. That is not workable with 50+ accounts.

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I hate to rain on your parade, but in Quicken for Windows, "the little order icon" is the only way to do it. And, using the icon and its arrows, you can only move accounts around within their respective groups, e.g., within checking accounts.
  • volvogirlvolvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Can you please tell us what Quicken product you are using (QWin or QMac) and what version you are using (2015, 2016, etc.). 

Basically no.  In a new Quicken file, new accounts are listed in alphabetical order (within their account group) ... until the user manually re-orders any of them. After that, there is no way to get them back in pure alphabetical order except by manual re-ordering, one account at a time.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I use a letter in front of the account name as part of the name. ie- A Chase, B Westerra, C Capital One and put letters in any order you want in alphabetic order
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Roger, in these economically troubled times, why does a simple shrubber have so many accounts?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You never mentioned whether you are using Windows or Mac version. For the Mac version, You can now VOTE for the feature to Sort Accounts by Name, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-option-to-sort-accounts-by-name-in-quicken-f...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of that page, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Robert HurleyRobert Hurley Member
    edited September 2018
    I was using Home and Business 2013 (Windows) and new accounts would always show up on the bottom and the only way to sort by name in the account list was the arrow that would jump all over the page.  When sorted using the arrow, the accounts would be right in the side bar window despite the accounts were always sorted correctly when picking them for a report.  Very strange.

So I was forced (no account updates) to upgrade to 2017 and was encouraged about stability improvements and readability.  What a let down that this appears to work the same way.  Why can't you just sort the account by name?
  • edited October 2018
    This has been frustrating me for years!
  • edited January 2017
    mshiggins said:

Roger, in these economically troubled times, why does a simple shrubber have so many accounts?

:D
  • QPWQPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

This has been frustrating me for years!

Yeah you and many others.

I couldn't believe that about a year or so ago after lots of these kind of request to have say a button that says "sort alphabetically".  Instead what they did is say.
    "Well OK if you start a new data file, and you never touch the arrow buttons to sort anything, then your accounts will be sorted alphabetically.  But the moment you use those buttons we won't sort them for you any more.  We did this not to anger the people that already had their accounts sorted the way they wanted."
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Update:
    As of a recent update to Q 2018 (US), the requested function was added.

Open the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the window. You will see the new function at the bottom of the Options popup menu.

Be sure to have (or create) a backup of your Quicken data file BEFORE you click this function ... just in case you don't like the results.
  • ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! I would never have thought of using "options" and for many years have been wasting my time with the little arrow method of arranging the list. Thank you!
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16
    @[email protected] you might want to PM @quickenxxxx to remove your email from your user name. Unfortunately a good number of parasite scammers troll this forum and would love to contact you directly.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
This discussion has been closed.