Home Quicken for Windows Budgeting and Planning Tools (Windows)

Future Paycheck Reminder Skews Future Running Total Because It Is Not Displayed As Reminder Is Confi

I have Quicken 2016 Deluxe, running on Windows 10. I use the "Show reminders" feature in all of my account registers extensively for planning how to distribute my paycheck. My paycheck is setup as a reminder with the intention that I would be able to look 90 days ahead to plan income and expenses.

Part of my paycheck is deposited into Account-A (an account with one institution that I use as a secondary account) while the remainder is deposited into Account-B (an account at a different institution that I use as my primary account.) My paycheck reminder is configured such that it specifies the correct amounts going into each of the two accounts. When I actually receive my paycheck and enter it, Quicken does the right thing and records the correct deposit amount in Account-A and the remainder deposited into Account-B.

However, the reminders displayed in the register prior to when the reminder is actually entered display the result of that transaction incorrectly -- with the entire amount of the paycheck deposited into Account-B and nothing deposited into Account-A. This is severely throwing me off when planning cash flow because the future running total is incorrect in both registers!!

How do I get Quicken to display a reminder the same way that it will display the entered transaction -- as one direct deposit into Account-A with the remainder direct deposited into Account-B, which is exactly how the reminder is configured, so that the future running total displays what will actually happen when these transactions are entered?

Comments

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The split portion of  your paycheck will ONLY show in Account-B after the paycheck has been actually entered into the register of Account A... never while the paycheck is still in Reminder status.

That's just the way it works.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited August 2016
    If the "Show reminders" feature doesn't actually show the reminders the same as how the transaction would be shown, then that feature is pretty useless, now isn't it? What's the point if what it shows is fantasy? Also, if this is so difficult to do then why is it that the register for my 401k shows the effect of each paycheck and the amount put in the 401k out of the paycheck is accounted for in the primary checking account register -- exactly as if the transaction had actually occurred? I would think the two situations would be treated the same way since they are so similar to one another. One could make a good argument that the two are both variations of the exact same situation.

I consider this problem to be either a very serious bug or simply a very poorly thought out and half-baked feature -- neither of which reflects well on the product. As a software engineer, I can say with confidence that no-one who truly understood how this feature was going to work would have approved it -- at least not without some sort of user-configurable option such as "Reminders display as entered transactions" or some similar wording. It's a blatant oversight on someone's part. It isn't rocket science that most people would expect reminders in the register to accurately display exactly what the reminder describes, same as an entered transaction, and therefore result in the correct running total being accurate.

Since the product, IMO, does not behave correctly, I have to figure out a workaround. I can't just change my direct deposit in favor of an automatic transfer from one account to the other on payday because the two accounts exist at two completely separate institutions. I suppose I could enter a recurring "dummy" transfer reminder on the same schedule as the paychecks and just execute a "Skip this one" for each one on payday after the paycheck reminder is entered, forcing it to display correctly, but that seems burdensome -- I shouldn't have to do that.

Very disappointing. I hope that Quicken Deluxe 2017 contains a fix for this issue. If not, then I will most likely not be upgrading.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited December 2017

My situation precisely.  I chose the option you mentioned with the "dummy" transfer and I skip it.  Interesting thing is, if you ever use the "calendar" view, it updates the EOD balance as if the split transaction will occur, then the dummy transaction on the same day, causing that running balance to be wrong.  Please tell me you found a way to fix this!!

Edit - I found a workaround to keep both the future memorized transactions and the calendar balances accurate.  I still use the dummy transfer, unfortunately, but I put a $0 amount in the fixed deposit field in the paycheck entry.  Now when I enter the paycheck, I will have to make sure to re-enter the fixed deposit and then skip the dummy entry.  Stupid process, but it works.  Good luck.

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited April 2017

My situation precisely.  I chose the option you mentioned with the "dummy" transfer and I skip it.  Interesting thing is, if you ever use the "calendar" view, it updates the EOD balance as if the split transaction will occur, then the dummy transaction on the same day, causing that running balance to be wrong.  Please tell me you found a way to fix this!!

Edit - I found a workaround to keep both the future memorized transactions and the calendar balances accurate.  I still use the dummy transfer, unfortunately, but I put a $0 amount in the fixed deposit field in the paycheck entry.  Now when I enter the paycheck, I will have to make sure to re-enter the fixed deposit and then skip the dummy entry.  Stupid process, but it works.  Good luck.

The dummy transfer ended up being a pain because I would have to do two things every time I entered the actual paycheck -- remove the dummy transaction and edit the splits on the paycheck.

I switched to using a different strategy. I now have Quicken automatically enter the paycheck 90 days ahead of time. It works better for me. It becomes a pain if the split changes because you don't just edit the bill but also have to edit 90 days of paychecks in the register, but that doesn't happen often for me since I am salaried.
This discussion has been closed.