Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Security Detail prior to 2015 is gone!

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Recently upgraded from Windows Quicken Premier 2015 to 2016. Now all security detail is missing for years prior to 2015. How can I get it back?

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The first thing I would try would be to reconvert the QW2015 data. If you don't have a backup of your QW2015 data, you can find a copy of the file in a subfolder in your Quicken data folder named Q15Files.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    Thank you for responding. I've never tried reconverting. Do I just open up the 2015 data file & keep it indefinitely as a reference source? I'm assuming there's no way of bringing the security detail into QW2016 from QW2015.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Security Detail" ... transactions? Price history?

An error-free conversion of your 2015 - data file into 2016 - format should transfer everything, transactions, price history, you name it ...

There could be something wrong with your data file from 2015 already.
    There could be something wrong with your installed software.

Let's check out the latter:
    What is the exact
    release number for your version of Quicken?

If clicking on Help / About Quicken does not show one of the following you are
    missing bug fixes:

- "2014 ... Release R9",  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2014-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- "2015 ... Release R11",  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2015-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

- "2016 ... Release R8(or higher)", https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-2016-windows-release-notes-updates-and-mondo-patch

Please do this:

Locate the Mondo Patch file applicable to your version of Quicken in the link
    above.

Download it and save it to disk.

Temporarily disable your Antivirus software for the entire duration of the next
    step: Install (run) the downloaded patch file.

This will replace any Quicken software modules with a known consistent release
    level and, hopefully, eliminate any software corruption or errors during
    installation as a cause of this issue.

Note to Quicken Canada users reading this: Do not download the
    patch or Mondo Patch files in the above links. They apply to Quicken US users
    only. Instead, scroll down the webpage to the Quicken Canada section and
    download that file.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    By "Security Detail", I am referring to the "Security Detail View" under the Investing Tools. Historically, when I go into a specific security, I can see every transaction for every account, from the earliest date to the current, including number of shares, date and dollar amount of transaction. Now when I go into a security, the only transactions showing are those that occurred after 1/1/2015. If I bought in 2013 and sold in 2014, the screen for that security is blank. 

My version is Release R8, 25.1.8.5. I downloaded both patches revealed by clicking on the link you provided. One says QW2016R8MP.exe and the other says QW2016R8Patch.exe. Are these the same? I do not have time this afternoon to disable antivirus & install one or both of these patches, but can do so tomorrow.

By the way, I purchased QW2016 from Quicken and did the automatic conversion.

Thanks again for your help
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

By "Security Detail", I am referring to the "Security Detail View" under the Investing Tools. Historically, when I go into a specific security, I can see every transaction for every account, from the earliest date to the current, including number of shares, date and dollar amount of transaction. Now when I go into a security, the only transactions showing are those that occurred after 1/1/2015. If I bought in 2013 and sold in 2014, the screen for that security is blank. 

My version is Release R8, 25.1.8.5. I downloaded both patches revealed by clicking on the link you provided. One says QW2016R8MP.exe and the other says QW2016R8Patch.exe. Are these the same? I do not have time this afternoon to disable antivirus & install one or both of these patches, but can do so tomorrow.

The QW2016R8MP.exe patch is the mondo patch and the one you want. The other is the regular patch.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016

Thanks again for your help! I'll post a comment after downloading the mondo patch and checking my Security Detail View.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016

So I downloaded the mondo patch and that did not resolve the problem of the missing detail on the security detail prior to 2015. I do have the backup files prior to upgrading to QW2016. Is there any problem with my accessing those backup files to check on security detail? I was about to do so but got a message that the file was being updated to work with QW2016 - but am wondering whether that will have the same effect as the original conversion to QW2016.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Quicken 2016 will automatically convert an earlier version. An earlier version data file simply cannot be used in 2016.

In other words, the only way to look at a 2015 data file without conversion, is to install Quicken 2015.

Converting from 2015 to 2016 should not have created this problem. So I would access your 2015 data file and let Quicken convert it to 2016 and see if you get the security details.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016

Thanks, I'll try it.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Wild guess ... have you recently upgraded to Win10 (or Win10 Anniversary from Win10)?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016

Nope - I'm still on Win 07.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Are the transactions missing from the investment register as well as from the security detail?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016

Hey, Rocket J Squirrel, you are wonderful! Your simple question led me to an unraveling of the problem. I track two separate accounts on Quicken - mine and my husbands. I wasn't sure what you were referring to, but when I pulled up my account and clicked on investing, I noticed what I'd never noticed before - a listing of several different brokerage accounts we've used in the last 10 years or so. Then went into my husbands and only the past two showed up (which were 2015 & 2016.) I went into the account listing, unchecked a box that said (essentially) - hide this account in Morgan Stanley reports. Then went back into security detail to check on the particular stock that started this whole line of questioning/problem solving, and there was my detail. I'm embarrased that I didn't figure this out earlier, but thank you ever so much for asking the question. I believe the problem is solved. Thank you ever so much!!! I'm glad you are out there!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@Marcia Draft:  
    Then went into my husbands and only the past two (accounts?) showed up (which were 2015 & 2016.)
    That statement suggests that you create a new Morgan Stanley account each year.  Not at all clear why you would do that.  Quicken is not intended to be used that way.  If that is the way you are operating, you might want to try explaining why and someone might be able to put you on a better path.  

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016

Thanks for your concern. The amount of detail I provided left it open to misinterpretation. I do not create a new account each year. The only reason for two accounts happening in 2015 and 2016 is that we moved to a new brokerage in 2015. All securities held in the old firm moved by ACAT to the new firm. What I was trying to explain (for the benefit of anyone reading the post who might have experienced a similar problem) is that in the process of trying to clean up my reports on Quicken, I went into the account files and checked a few boxes, one of which resulted in my securities detail from the old firm no longer showing up. 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

@riverwoman:  Thanks for the clarification.  
This discussion has been closed.