Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

new vanguard brokerage settlement account - how to handle in Quicken 2016 premier

alan14
alan14 Member ✭✭
edited July 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Vanguard has just changed my brokerage settlement account to a Federal money market fund; previously it has been a taxfree money market fund that is linked in quicken to my Vanguard brokerage account.   How do I set up this new Federal account so that it is linked to my  vanguard brokerage account and also how do I unlink my current tax free money market account which is shown as a checking account?

I have seen that a few dividends are being posted to my tax free MM account which is incorrect and have read on this site there still may be issues with vanguard not coding correctly certain transactions.  So I wonder if I can just rename  my tax free MM account and call it the federal MM - is this a possible work around?    Or can I unlink the taxfree MM account and then somehow link it to the federal MM?  I tried unlinking but then went to relink and it messed up my taxfree MM account and I had to restore from backup. 

please help, thanks.    I have been using quicken for 19 years and have not run into this issue before.

Comments

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I can't say I will be able to help but we first need to know more about how you are set up and operate today.

I am guessing your TEMM account is in a separate vanguard mutual fund account that you do not download to?  Do you intend to continue using your TEMM as before, presumably to handle other cash from vanguard such as dividends from other mutual funds, exchange proceeds, bill paying etc. or is everything now been "consolidated" into your brokerage account?
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
  • alan14
    alan14 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    i use a linked TEMM checking account that was set up automatically when the brokerage account was set up.  I have spoken with Quicken and I have simply changed the name of the linked account to reflect a different taxable money market fund.  I think that will work.  Makes everything easy.  time will tell.  The account is used as a settlement account from which securities are bought and sold - it is sort of a dummy account. 
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    alan said:

i use a linked TEMM checking account that was set up automatically when the brokerage account was set up.  I have spoken with Quicken and I have simply changed the name of the linked account to reflect a different taxable money market fund.  I think that will work.  Makes everything easy.  time will tell.  The account is used as a settlement account from which securities are bought and sold - it is sort of a dummy account. 

Good luck with that. (Without more info I can't say for sure, but I do not share your optimism)
    Quicken Premier Subscription, Windows 10 Home
This discussion has been closed.