Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Having an issue with Quicken rounding off shares.

STEVEN WEINBERG
STEVEN WEINBERG Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Well, I have the same problem.  It has been going on for about 6 years and it has generated a share error of about 0.9 out of the 1000 or so we own.  It seem to do with share reinvestment.  Example, log shows a download of 7.7566 and Q16 shows it as 7.76.  This is a closed end fund that gives dividends monthly, so an error of 0.004 or so really starts to add up.  Every download, it say Q and the download are different by x, and x changes monthly.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Problems with decimal place in Share Balance.

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    It is possible that your brokerage is downloading data inconsistently.  I don't know that in your case, but others have found that to be true.  Transactions come in with one level of precision and holdings get reported with a different number of precise digits.  The precision shown on the company's website may not be the same as the precision downloaded.

The user should make sure all transactions are entered with the same precision level.  I use 3-digit precision (0.001).  For any transaction, share quantity and total cost are critical; price per share is not.  

If Quicken detects a difference between what the brokerage downloads as current shares and what Quicken has recorded, Quicken will offer a placeholder.  I suggest researching the difference and fixing the underlying issue, rather than accepting a placeholder.  If the difference is a precision rounding issue, you have the option to ignore it, especially if you are comfortable and confident in the transactions you have entered (accepted).  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Steven,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with Quicken rounding off shares. To help us provide the most appropriate response, please let us know what Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2015, 2016, etc.) you are using. Also, are you using Quicken or Quicken Canada?

Thanks,
    Dave
  • STEVEN WEINBERG
    edited December 2016

Hi Steven,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with Quicken rounding off shares. To help us provide the most appropriate response, please let us know what Quicken product (QWin or QMac) and what version (2015, 2016, etc.) you are using. Also, are you using Quicken or Quicken Canada?

Thanks,
    Dave

Running Q16win in the US.  If you look in Intuits records, you will see I am the one that found a File error that was supposed to fixed in Q16.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Alumni
    edited December 2016

Hi Steven,

Thanks,
    Dave

I'm sorry Stephen, this is primarily a user-to-user forum. No one here has access to Quicken's (or Intuit's) records (Intuit sold Quicken to an investment company back in the Spring of 2016).
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    In my Fidelity brokerage accounts, I sometimes encounter rounding discrepancies ... because Fidelity truncates the fraction (beyond some number of decimal points -- I don't remember how many) and Q rounds.

There's really nothing that can be done about it except to be vigilant about the number of shares in each transaction.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • STEVEN WEINBERG
    edited December 2016

In my Fidelity brokerage accounts, I sometimes encounter rounding discrepancies ... because Fidelity truncates the fraction (beyond some number of decimal points -- I don't remember how many) and Q rounds.

There's really nothing that can be done about it except to be vigilant about the number of shares in each transaction.

What is interesting is that the download log shows the units to 4 places after the decimal, but Q16 rounds to 2, but not in all cases. I know that it will all work out when I sell the last of this stock, and then have to use shares out.  Not a good way to keep the books.
  • STEVEN WEINBERG
    edited December 2016

Hi Steven,

Thanks,
    Dave

I know.  thanks.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Take a look at EDIT, Preferences, Reports Only.  What's your decimal setting?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • STEVEN WEINBERG
    edited December 2016

Thanks, that seems to get the reporting to match what the down load said. Report was set to "2".  I set it to 5.  Now I have to figure out were the error occurred.  Always a new challenge to tackle.
This discussion has been closed.