Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

incorrect shares

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited September 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I recently added reinvested dividend shares of a stock to my Quicken for Windows Home and Business 2016 R8. I added 0.162018 shares to 19.892680 shares, Quicken's total shares is 20.054788 not 20.054698 as my long addition and calculator states. Help!!

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

At my brokerage, reinvested shares of stocks are reported with 5 decimal places, e.g. "0.12345", mutual funds with only three. Where did you get 6 decimal places?

When I enter my transactions, I always make sure I enter the exact number of shares and the dollar amount, letting Quicken calculate the price per share to as many digits as it wants to.
    I never calculate number of shares * price per share as price per share is often truncated or rounded and that messes up my cash balance.

Do you have placeholder transactions in your investment account register? If so, they need to be resolved.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2016
    UKR said:

At my brokerage, reinvested shares of stocks are reported with 5 decimal places, e.g. "0.12345", mutual funds with only three. Where did you get 6 decimal places?

When I enter my transactions, I always make sure I enter the exact number of shares and the dollar amount, letting Quicken calculate the price per share to as many digits as it wants to.
    I never calculate number of shares * price per share as price per share is often truncated or rounded and that messes up my cash balance.

Do you have placeholder transactions in your investment account register? If so, they need to be resolved.

I always use the shares given on my statements. My broker is Computershare. I always manually enter the dividend amount and manually the # of shares given on my statements. I let Quicken calculate the per share price. Please read my original post and do the addition, the # of shares do not add up. The past 3 years (2013-2016) since I have been using Quicken Home and Business to track my stock transactions I did not have a problem using 6 places, why now?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I have no idea where that broken math could be coming from, unless it's a data integrity issue caused by a damaged Quicken data file.

You should validate
    your Quicken data file. It may have become corrupted over time or if you ever
    had crashes while running Quicken.

Please run this procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save
    file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a
    record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy.
    This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable
    files)

- Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and "Rebuild investing lots",
    check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

Now, with the just validated file still open, try your failing action again. If
    it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

Have you ever tried deleting and reentering that transaction? Same broken math?
    You have, of course, checked that there are no placeholder transactions in your investment register?

If that doesn't help resolve the issue, I'd say it's time to contact Quicken Support
    at:  http://www.quicken.com/contact-support

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited September 2018
    Thanks for all the replies, you made look at the original transaction many times and really hard. It seems that in the original transaction, I had truncated the number of shares to .162108, which should have entered as .162018. Sorry for the problems, but the help did work wonders for knowledge.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Thanks for all the replies, you made look at the original transaction many times and really hard. It seems that in the original transaction, I had truncated the number of shares to .162108, which should have entered as .162018. Sorry for the problems, but the help did work wonders for knowledge.

You mean you transposed the numbers?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

Uhhh, dno't yuo htae it wehn taht ahppens?

<g,d,r>
    Glad you found the problem.
This discussion has been closed.