Add Lot Management to Quicken for Mac to support selling specific investment lots (132 Legacy Votes)

smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
Add lot management to Quicken for Mac so it is possible to define which lots are sold in the investment module, as an additional option to FIFO or LIFO.

Add all the capabilities related to the ability to handle lot allocation when selling, similar to QM2007 or QWin.

(If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click like on this reply, so others will know, then click "VOTE" above to increase the count and therefore its visibility by the developers, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
2 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

Comments

• urbanianurbanian Member
    edited September 2018
    I can't figure out how to "like," but I did "vote." This lack has me still stuck on QM2007.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    urbanian said:

I can't figure out how to "like," but I did "vote." This lack has me still stuck on QM2007.

My bad...there is no Like button on IDEA posts, just VOTE.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• W RuhW Ruh Member
    edited October 2017
    This is an extremely important feature that needs to be incorporated into Quicken for Mac as soon as possible.  You have my vote!
  • BenBen Member
    edited August 2018
    I, too think this was a significant omission.  Add this feature asap.
    edited July 2017
    Ben said:

Great...but to make your VOTE count, you have to actually click the VOTE button at the top right of this page. ;-)

• BenBen Member
    edited November 2016
    Ben said:

thanks, done!
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Same ..done !
  • CwGil70CwGil70 Member
    edited August 2018
    I'm not going to upgrade unit this feature is added.  Two cost basis methods aren't enough.  I'm not sure why the Mac and Windows versions are so different.  I understand they're different operating systems but they should've started with the latest Windows version for features and add from there.  Also, it would be amazing to update the same saved file from both Mac and Windows versions.    
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    CwGil70 said:

I'm not going to upgrade unit this feature is added.  Two cost basis methods aren't enough.  I'm not sure why the Mac and Windows versions are so different.  I understand they're different operating systems but they should've started with the latest Windows version for features and add from there.  Also, it would be amazing to update the same saved file from both Mac and Windows versions.    

The Mac and Windows programs each are built on components of their respective operating systems that don't exist in the other world. For instance, the database for the Mac version is built into the operating system. Graphics are different. Memory management is different. Networking is different. The only ay to get them to be interoperable would be to write an OS agnostic platform, and then re-write both the Windows program and the Mac program in that new environment. If you see how much work it's taking and how long to re-write just the Mac version, imagine how big a project that would be. It might happen some day, but not anytime soon. I'm sure they considered this back in 2006, when they decided the old Mac version was built on code that would cease to work in the future and to start over building a new Mac product, and after some disastrous starts and stops over the next 5 years, I'm sure they looked at the feasibility again before hiring the current Mac development team to build what came to market first as Quicken 2015 for Mac.

The problem with saying "start with the latest Windows version for features and add from there" is that the Windows version has nearly 30 years of development work behind it. You can't just re-create that for the Mac in a couple years. Especially when sales of the product justify only a small programming team. This isn't Apple, with tens of thousands of programmers; the Mac programming team has been tiny. (Single digit tiny). Even with the new President of Quicken committing earlier this year to double the size of the Mac team to speed development it will still be a pretty small group. So they have to pick and choose which features are the highest priorities to the largest number officers and work their way -- slowly -- down the list. 

In some cases, like investments, you can see signs that they have built in some of the pieces needed to finish the job later. For investments, you can see your individual lots, which means the data and structure is there to allow selling individual lots; they just have to come back to work on this part of the program to add that logic and user interface functionality. The good news is that it will probably happen at some point; the bad news is that with all the features users are asking for, it might take a long time to get through the list.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Harold-JrHarold-Jr Member
    edited December 2016
    This is a killer for me keeping me on QW.
    edited December 2016
    CwGil70 said:

The statement "... they should've started with the latest Windows version for features and add from there ..." can be taken from 2 angles. One is from a code-base angle, as you have covered. The other is from an algorithm angle...by taking the feature set and programming that into QM2017. Taken from that angle, they should have taken the best info about any feature from both the Windows AND Mac versions and build that in, OR at least make it as complete as QM2007 to start, for any given feature.

But it seems many features are being re-invented. That will always leave gaps, as learned experience as to what is most appropriate is overlooked. I understand staged releases of a feature. But I do not see follow through on many features to add the next level of nuances to make them feel complete.

Instead, it seems that features are being released with basic functionality, too basic in many cases, that they miss the mark, especially for seasoned Quicken users. To me, this comes across as half-baked, leaving many frustrated.

Anyway, I do not want to detract the discussion here, as this thread should be about the feature request.

• jgmyersjgmyers Member
    edited August 2018
    The issue is not why the feature is there, it is that for people with non-trivial portfolios the lack of the feature makes Quicken for Mac >2007 non-viable products. Users are not going to pay tens of thousands more in taxes because of Quicken, they will use alternative accounting tools. For me, that is to limp along with 2007; should that get killed by a future TLS issue or whatever, I will have to switch vendors.

The feature is not even listed as an option for voting on the comparison page, which suggests it is unlikely to be implemented anytime soon.
    edited August 2017
    jgmyers said:

The issue is not why the feature is there, it is that for people with non-trivial portfolios the lack of the feature makes Quicken for Mac >2007 non-viable products. Users are not going to pay tens of thousands more in taxes because of Quicken, they will use alternative accounting tools. For me, that is to limp along with 2007; should that get killed by a future TLS issue or whatever, I will have to switch vendors.

The feature is not even listed as an option for voting on the comparison page, which suggests it is unlikely to be implemented anytime soon.

Though they continue to collect info from the Compare page, Quicken is now collecting feature requests via the IDEA section of this forum. So, by adding your vote above, you will be adding your voice. 

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

edited December 2016
    jgmyers said:

jgmeyers: Whether it is listed on the Compare or Feedback page or not doesn't really indicate whether it's something on the development roadmap or under consideration. They often list only easy concepts on that list, and they don't always list things they're already definitively planning. This is something users have been calling for since Quicken 2015 debuted two years ago, so I'd guess it's somewhere in the future plans -- we just have no clue when. (The good thing is that you can *see* your individual lot purchases in the portfolio, which means the core database work for this feature already exists.)

I'd definitely encourage you to visit the Feedback page and enter this feature need in the "Something not listed? Tell us" box. The more they hear this from users, the more likely it is to be on their radar, or move up their priority list.
    edited December 2016
    CwGil70 said:

When they were originally developing Quicken 2015, product manager Marcus said that they expressly did NOT want to just try to re-create every feature in Quicken 2007 and Quicken Windows; there are features which got added over the years which haven't proved useful or popular, or are no longer needed due to technology changes and they wanted to re-think/re-imagine features and not just recreate them to match the past. The plan was to create basic features, release them, listen to user feedback about needed refinement, and iteratively improve the features. Of course, it was also a strategy driven by having a very small development team that simply couldn't do everything at once.

Now, that was more than two years ago. Marcus left the company for awhile and then came back. Quicken separated from Intuit. A new president & CEO was brought in. The programming team is now being enlarged. And with all those changes, priorities have undoubtedly changed. For instance, back in 2013, Marcus said they didn't want to make the Mac program look like a Windows program, because Mac users wanted Mac apps to take advantage of the Mac UI; with the release of Quicken 2017, they have clearly reversed course on that, as they changed the Mac program's UI to more closely mimic the Windows look and feel.

CEO Eric Dunn says they are aiming to work towards general feature parity between Quicken Mac and Quicken Windows, but we don't know if they're copying just concepts or now more inclined to copy actual details of implementation.
    edited December 2016
    CwGil70 said:

I did not say to re-create every feature. I simply said that for any feature they do implement to use QM2007 and/or QWin as a basis for implementing it rather than trying to re-invent it. 

Anyway, I appreciate your input but this is WAY off topic and detracts from the purpose of this thread.

edited February 2018
    CwGil70 said:

"I simply said that for any feature they do implement to use QM2007 and/or QWin as a basis for implementing it rather than trying to re-invent it." Yup, I understood that. Just to clarify, I was saying that this was NOT the approach -- and intentionally so -- back when Quicken 2015 was being developed. Marcus said they did NOT want to use the legacy programs as a detailed model for specific features they were working on; they instead wanted to re-think/re-imagine them to see if they could be implemented better on top of the new core they had built.

(I would not worry that side conversations like this, which help expand the understanding of Quicken users about where things stand and how we got here, will detract from your goal of attracting votes for the feature mentioned at the top of the thread.)
  • jgmyersjgmyers Member
    edited February 2017
    jgmyers said:

I did the write-in on the Compare page almost two years ago, after I had to return 2015 for this issue.

Seeing lot purchases in the portfolio isn't particularly useful—the lots become inaccurate after the first sale, when Quicken makes the wrong selection. I could quibble with what it means about progress, but that wouldn't be useful.

While people who care about lot selection are probably a small minority of the market for personal accounting software, for those people the lack of the feature is a "product not usable" level issue.
    edited December 2016
    CwGil70 said:

I appreciate what you are trying to do and I agree with your intentions but this is thread hi-jacking, when it is off topic, and it is contrary to the terms of usage of the forum. Also, it is not good forum etiquette. A passing comment is one thing but it should be taken to another thread when it gets this involved. 

edited December 2016
    jgmyers said:

jgmyers, you're right on all counts. I didn't mean to suggest that all the data is being maintained correctly, and they only have to come back to design the user interface to display it; I was only saying that the display of individual lot purchases in investment portfolios seems to reflect some design and planning in the architecture of the program for eventually fully supporting lots. I definitely understand that the program is unusable for anyone who needs to maintain this information about their investments.
    edited August 2018
     I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.
    To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: Be sure to scroll down the page, as some contain lists of related features. Click on the link to EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in, then click the VOTE button at the top of EACH page that opens up respectively to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

edited December 2016
    urbanian said:

Just a reminder to click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any replies to this thread. 

• W RuhW Ruh Member
    edited February 2017
    CwGil70 said:

Getting back on topic, I too am not going to upgrade to Mac 2017 unless they add enhanced lot management choices similar to QM 2007.  That program also allowed for the analysis of performance of each security, including dividends.  It would be very helpful to understand the cash on cash, IRR and ROI for any period selected by the user.  If QM 2007 offered that feature, a decade later QM 2017 certainly should.
  • rl4265rl4265 Member
    edited October 2017
    urbanian said:

This is critical to me.  Without it my investment balances are inaccurate
  • edited January 2017
    I usually update my Quicken for Windows every 2 years. I have a mac and run a VM mostly to keep Quicken. I would love to switch to Quicken Mac, but can't do so until this feature/bug fix is implemented. This year I tried to update fro QW15 to QW17, but downgraded because the screen fonts gave me eye strain. A long winded way to say please add this feature so I can buy Quicken for Mac.
  • edited August 2018
    also crucial to me as I would love to move from QW to QM, but cannot without this capability, especially, as my reading here leads me to believe my prior existing specific assignments would be lost, true?
    edited February 2017

also crucial to me as I would love to move from QW to QM, but cannot without this capability, especially, as my reading here leads me to believe my prior existing specific assignments would be lost, true?

Coming from QWin, on top of other things related to investments, what would be lost is the lot assignment for sales and would revert to FIFO or LIFO based on the register setting for the respective brokerage account in QMac. The purchase lots would be preserved.

• rl4265rl4265 Member
    edited February 2017
    Lot identification is critical to me as my sales aren't always LIFO/FIFO or Average cost so Quicken doesn't match the brokerage statement.
  • rl4265rl4265 Member
    edited November 2016

I usually update my Quicken for Windows every 2 years. I have a mac and run a VM mostly to keep Quicken. I would love to switch to Quicken Mac, but can't do so until this feature/bug fix is implemented. This year I tried to update fro QW15 to QW17, but downgraded because the screen fonts gave me eye strain. A long winded way to say please add this feature so I can buy Quicken for Mac.

I use a 27" monitor, so wasn't aware of issue, but it certainly could be a problem on a smaller screen
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Interesting & very important thread. There is lots that need improvement with investing in QM. Since lot identification is already present in QM one could hope that being able to manage lots /select which lots in a particular security are sold should not be that difficult..I am not a software developer type so I speak from sheer ignorance. However, having said all that lot management is a most critical item assuming the QM folks would want to work on one particular item.