Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

How to create a reminder for stock dividends

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
Is is possible to create reminders for stock dividends?  

I searched for previous question BUT.....Been fighting with qlc.quicken.com hand off to getsatisfaction.com....  ARGH!!!!  Hope I can post this one...

Comments

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    yes, just select dividend as the category. Or if you want to utilize QDI for tax planning, assign the LTCG distribution to the reminder. It's a little more complicated if you are interested.  I have monthly, quarterly and annual reminders for both divs and interest that feed into tax planner and cash flow projections. Play around with it to set it up for your individual needs.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

yes, just select dividend as the category. Or if you want to utilize QDI for tax planning, assign the LTCG distribution to the reminder. It's a little more complicated if you are interested.  I have monthly, quarterly and annual reminders for both divs and interest that feed into tax planner and cash flow projections. Play around with it to set it up for your individual needs.

QDI?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • markus1957
    edited December 2016

Qualified Dividend Income. Treated as regular income in Tax Planner but if tracked in LTCG category, regular tax section computes the tax on LTCG correctly (well almost as described in another post)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Would love to learn how.  After trying what I understand the ususal ways to create reminders... I have found nothing that works.
    Thanks in advance.
    Norm
  • markus1957
    edited December 2016

Let's start with the reason you want them and where in the Help menu instructions you are getting lost? Explain what you would consider "working".
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Two reasons...
    1. The usual want to make sure all little duckies are in a row come payment day role around.  About 100 transaction a year.

2. Just to see what is coming up when looking at bills.

Problem .. when I go to a transaction in a transaction register there is no "Add Reminder" like there is in the Banking Account registers.   If I use the BILLS tab, then Add Reminder/income I can't find a list investment that pay dividends.

I'm trying to get smarter when help mentions "Memorized Investment Transaction List." and  "Investment Transaction Groups" but it isn't sinking in yet.

P.S.  You know... I have never even considered playing with (actually knowing there even was a) Tax Planner.  I will have to wander in that direction.  Retirment offers way to much free time to get into fixes....:-)
  • markus1957
    edited December 2016

For investments you have to create Income reminders manually. At 100 transactions, that would be roughly 25 income reminders at a quarterly frequency if you want them exact by date/amount. Just create a new Income reminder from Tools>Manage Bill & Income Reminders.

A few ways to set it up. I'm retired also so this is how I manage mine. I have a couple of mutual funds that I have the divs/interest deposited directly in my checking account. Those are set up with the fund names as Pay To with proceeds to checking account and categories assigned as either divs/interest.  For an individual stock, it's likely the proceeds go into the investment account quarterly. Some international funds only pay out once a year. So there is no right way to do it.

Another method to ballpark it is to set up a monthly div and/or interest payment based on the average amount received over the year. Keep it as simple as you can for it to be useful. Mine are for projections only so when the real transaction(s) downloads I just "skip" the reminder to move it to the next payout without it disturbing the register amount.

If you do decide to use tax planner review this thread https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/tax-planner-errors-persisting-in-quicken-2016-r8
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Thank you!  :-)

Manual mode it is for dividends.  

I was kinda looking for nearly the same treatment as there is for bonds.  When setting up SECURITY DETAILS the bonds reminders are created from the data input.

A quick look at the tax planning makes me wonder if I might be better off using last years TURBO TAX.  

Thanks again for the help. :-)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Well... it looks like I stumbled on what I was looking for.

Travel Log:

My "Offical 2015 Quicken Guide" implied that what I wanted to do wasn't possible.  BUT ... the help in 2016 Quicken Premier  it insinuated that it was "now" possible to create reminders for dividends.  So I gave it a more presitent try.

I had tried previously but when I  went

BILL > ADD A REMINDER

the FROM field offered no investments at all so gave up (apparently too easily)

I went back later and just typed a symbol like AAPL in there and proceeded to click NEXT (sometime several times as it seemed Quicken was taking a nap).

BINGO!!! I got a new dialog asking:
    • Date & frequency
    • Amount Due
    • To Account
    • Details
    To my surprise when I selected an investment account in the TO ACCOUNT field another selection field was revealed with Deposit\Dividend\Interest choices.

Selecting Dividend revealed yet another field "Security"  

After entering a symbol like AAPL then TABBING (enter/return didn't seem to work) out of that field, waiting a bit while Quicken goes on line an pulls up the name of some issues.  You select that name that corresponds to your symbol  and hit next and Quicken goes back on line and pulls some more data (not sure what) and a click or two later... you have a regular run of the mill reminder for a dividend!!!!

As an "oh by the way".... Remember that symbol I started with (AAPL) when I first started the process?  Well it was replaced with a proper title (APPLE INC COM) which I presume was loaded when I finally got passed the ToAccount>Dividend>Security process.

I am pretty satisfied so far my only qualm is why is it like an easter hunt to discover methods to do what you want to do.    Hey Quicken folks ....DOCUMENTATION please!!!!  F1 is better than nothing but decent documentation would be greatly appreciated.  To prove my point I paid real $$ for my "THE OFFICAL GUIDE"  from McGraw Hill.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

nsteffen1

Nice piece of work - thanks for sharing.

They certainly did have that well hidden!!
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• mshiggins
    edited December 2016

I don't understand the comment about paying for the Official Guide proving your point. What point does that prove?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Mearly that I am willing to pay extra for decent documentation and would appreciate it if it was part of the initial software package delivery.

Others might have differing opinons.
  • mshiggins
    edited December 2016

Thank you for clarifying.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Actually I just noticed that on Amazon you can preorder

"Quicken 2017 The Official Guide (Quicken : the Official Guide)"

Guess you can get a head start this time.  Wonder what's new in 2017.
This discussion has been closed.