Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Add automatic remainder calculation to split transactions Quicken for Mac (93 Legacy Votes)

Snoopy FC
Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
Within splits in QM2007, it would automatically calculate the amount remaining.  Could that functionality be added back in to the newest version of quicken?  For instance, if I split a $150 transaction as follows: $100 to groceries and $25 to entertainment, quicken would automatically recognize that I still had $25 unallocated of the original $150 amount.  As of now, the new version doesn't appear to recognize this and requires that we manual change the amounts to make it all balance.
QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
9 votes

Already Offered · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2018
    Yes, the "new" behavior in Quicken 2015/2016 for editing a split drives many of us longtime Quicken users crazy. I've been working with it for the past two years, and I still get it wrong quite frequently. The developers seem to think they "built a better mousetrap" when they developed splits for the debut of quicken 2015, and despite many complaints, they never respond and haven't changed it. for my sake, and many other frustrated Quicken Mac users, I wish they would change it back to the way previous versions of Quicken worked.

For anyone reading this who doesn't fully understand what's happening with split amounts, here's a brief explanation:

If you manually enter a new transaction, the split works the way you want and expect: if you create the $150 transaction, enter a split for $100, and enter the next split for $25, Quicken opens a third split line with the $25 remaining. Perfect.

But if you *edit* an existing split transaction, Quicken applies different rules depending which line of the split you edit. Let's go back to the example of a $150 transaction. Let's say it has two split lines, for $100 and $50. If you open this existing transaction to edit the split, and change the second split amount from $50 to $40, Quicken automatically changes the first split line from $100 to $110. But if you open the same transaction and edit the *first* split line amount from $100 to $85, Quicken opens a third split line for the $15 remainder, as expected and as Quicken has done in the past. It's terrible logic to have different things happen depending which split line you edit; it requires the user to think though how Quicken will process the edit, and work backward from the desired end result to figure out what sequence of change stop make in Quicken.

Here's one real-life example of how this is awful in practice. Like most salaried people, my gross pay doesn't vary from one payroll to another, but there's often a change of a penny or two in various payroll taxes. If my net pay changes by one cent, and I enter the extra penny in the total amount first, Quicken opens a new split line for one cent; I can then go to the appropriate tax line and edit the value that changed by one cent, the extra split line disappears, and all is well. But sometimes, net pay is unchanged, but two tax amounts change by a penny or two in opposite directions. As soon as I edit the first split line, Quicken automatically changes my gross pay (the first split line). I have to then manually change the first split line back to its original value, and then Quicken opens a new split line, and then I can edit the other split amount which needs to be changed. It's confusing to inexperienced users, and incredibly frustrating to me as a veteran Quicken user.

In other situations, I find I edit a split amount, realize the first split line amount has changed, but I don't know the original value, so I have to cancel my edit and start over, this time writing down the original amount of the first split line so I can manually change it back. Ugh, so frustrating!

And to add insult to injury, the Undo functionality -- which is otherwise great in Quicken Mac -- simply doesn't work when editing splits!

Here's hoping the developers will finally listen to user complains about split editing and change this in Quicken 2017.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Upon further reviewing how splits work, it seems that this feature is already built in.  I just didn't understand how the software was set up to work.  I'm not sure if Jacobs situation changes, but I just need to change how I do some data entry to make this feature work for me.  
  • jacobs
    edited February 2018
    It works as I described; the way splits are edited changes depending on which split line you edit first. I find this a bad system; some people find it okay.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    This is so obvious that I have no idea why we even need a thread to highlight this for Intuit's attention. The function worked as it should have worked in Quicken Essentials for Mac, and then they took it away?! Why?! There was an Update Total button to click in  each transaction, and the top-line total would simply update to reflect the new splits. Easy. Now I need to use a calculator to re-compute the new total myself, defeating the whole point of a computer-based program. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

This is so obvious that I have no idea why we even need a thread to highlight this for Intuit's attention. The function worked as it should have worked in Quicken Essentials for Mac, and then they took it away?! Why?! There was an Update Total button to click in  each transaction, and the top-line total would simply update to reflect the new splits. Easy. Now I need to use a calculator to re-compute the new total myself, defeating the whole point of a computer-based program. 

I am a retired accountant with 40 years experience and I cannot figure out the split.  I have debits and credits in balance but the program throws in a new line that undoes my journal entry. It's frustrating as hell!
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

The best way I've figured it out (and I'm a hydrogeologist - certainly not an experienced accountant) is to input the total value first, and then open the split, adding in the different items, and leaving the remainder for the largest category of the split.  

For instance, our grocery receipts include cleaning products, toiletries, and of course food.  So I'll input the cleaning and toiletry products first, leaving the remainder for food.  Don't know it that helps, but that's how I've figured out how to work with this current framework. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

This is only good for new entries. And it forces you to adapt to the software in an often unnatural way. The problem is that if you go to edit an entry (even a new one), that is where it breaks down because Quicken wants to update another split line...
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

OK.  Hopefully they get it fixed for existing split lines as well.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

Thanks for the input, guys.  I will try hydrob's idea but off-hand it seems that smayer97 is correct in Quicken having screwed up here.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

I'd like to know if they fixed this in new version QM2016 version 3.5.3---or do we have to buy QM2017 for $50 ?
  • smayer97
    edited December 2016

Not Fixed....Title should be changed....

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Add your vote here:

(

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

Is the Update Total button restored in Quicken 2017?
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I haven't seen it, but I don't remember seeing it before.  I came straight from QM2007 to QM2016.
  • smayer97
    edited December 2016

@Coach White  Has not been added yet. Be sure to add your vote by clicking the VOTE button at the top of the page.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Add your vote here:

(

• smayer97
    edited December 2016

I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.
    To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Click on each link above, then be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Then VOTE on EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

Add your vote here:

(

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I agree with Jacobs on the way editing splits are handled.  It really isn't a clean or intuitive process.  Please fix it.  The other issue I have with splits in this instance is the use of negative or positive numbers.  Negatives have to be used for purchases even though Quicken knows it's an expense.  However, positive numbers can be used for expenses when making new transactions.  This inconsistency is annoying.  
  • DHClem
    DHClem Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    This is simply critical, and it may not be a bug per se but it's definitely a bad design. There is *no* reason to assume that the first row was a mistake to be corrected by adding other rows and keeping the total the same.  Please change this immediately.  Incidentally, as a programmer, I know that any structured program would have very isolated (in the best sense of the term) routines for this, so the fix would be trivial with no reason to suspect it would have wide-ranging (unsuspected) effects.

So...just do it now.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    DHC said:

This is simply critical, and it may not be a bug per se but it's definitely a bad design. There is *no* reason to assume that the first row was a mistake to be corrected by adding other rows and keeping the total the same.  Please change this immediately.  Incidentally, as a programmer, I know that any structured program would have very isolated (in the best sense of the term) routines for this, so the fix would be trivial with no reason to suspect it would have wide-ranging (unsuspected) effects.

So...just do it now.

DHC, some of us have been asking for this change for two and a half years (since Quicken 2015 was a beta project), and it hasn't been changed yet!

Originally, product manager Marcus explained that they changed it to work this way because of the number of support calls they had logged in previous versions due to people not understanding how Quicken created a new split line with the remaining amount when a user edited a split. Unfortunately, I think they tried to solve a problem for a small number of users and created a new problem for a large number of users. Many, many Quicken Mac users have complained about this in various places over the past two years.

It's not clear if the complaints have convinced the development team they should make a change, but they have been working on things higher on their priority list and haven't gotten to changing this yet, or if they still disagree that it needs to be changed. (It would be great if Marcus would post to tell us if this is a planned change in the future or if they've decided to stick with their original philosophy, but so far, he's remained silent on this issue.)
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    DHC said:

So...just do it now.

As an accountant with 40 years of experience I have had problems with this as well.  One day, I decided to put all that experience away and look at Q for Mac with "innocent" eyes.  Low and behold, if you look in simplest terms, Q for Mac is divided into "Money In" and "Money Out".  Forget about debits and credits and income and expenses, just look what is happening to your money.  If money is coming in you have no + or - but if you are spending money you have a minus sign because money is going out.  So, if you split a transaction you will have a reduction in cash but groceries and household items will also be minus items because money is going out for them, too.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    DHC said:

So...just do it now.

Justin, the comments above are about the way Quicken will change the first split amount if you add a new split line to an existing transaction, to the confusion or consternation of many users; it has nothing to do with money in or out. It makes the user need to think about how Quicken will work, then work around it -- e.g. editing the total of the transaction first, or adding a dummy split line -- to avoid unintentionally changing the value of the first split line.

To your broader comment about Quicken, yes, it's best if those of us who think in debits and credits just think of "money in" and "money out" when working with Quicken. I don't really have much problem with that. When it comes to putting a minus sign in front of a value, though, I'd not that Quicken is inconsistent in a number of ways. First, the registers allow users to use either a single Amount column or a pair of money in/money out columns (named Payment and Deposit for a checking account, Charge and Payment for a credit card account, Spend and Receive for a cash account, etc.) -- but in splits, there is only a single Amount column. So for someone like me, who has Payment and Deposit columns in my checking account, and therefore all positive numbers, it's a little jarring to open a split and see an expense as a negative number. Now, if I want to edit a transaction -- let's say to add $20 more expense in a new category -- I have to remember to ADD $20 to the transaction amount and subtract $20 in the split lines. It's workable, but having some values signed and others unsigned makes it harder than it should be for users to always to what they intend.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    DHC said:

So...just do it now.

@jacobs... my take on your comments regarding Marcus' explanation.... so they got rid of many support calls, because those of us who hate how it works now and find it extremely annoying, are familiar enough with Quicken to know how to fix it or workaround it on a case by case basis. I think instead of fixing/workingaround it, we should all stop and call support every time it occurs. Make them explain to us what's going on and how to fix it (even though we know perfectly well). Maybe a new influx of support calls will get them to change it back. (I hate that it would have to come to this.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2016

Quicken Essentials was so much easier to use. Quicken 2016 and 2017 for Mac are just a complete mess. This is one of the most irritating situations where you can't adjust a split without screwing up other splits for the same transactions. I am actively hunting for better financial software so I can dump Quicken after 15+ years. suggestions?
  • smayer97
    edited December 2016

Lots have tried. You may want to add your vote above just in case you don't find anything else.

Add your vote here:

(

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Good luck finding a better product.  I looked extensively, but never jumped from 2007 as nothing really worked any better.  I think you'll find that Quicken is working its way forward and that if you stick with it, you'll find it to be the better product.  

I also think we need more people helping direct its development.  They just released version 4.4 of QM2017 today.  I think smayer97 has done a fabulous job of organizing the many improvements that we and many others have suggested and are wanting.  There's serious momentum building on this program and I'm looking forward to a program equal with Windows in the near future.  
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2017

+1 to smayer97 & many others who have worked hard 
  • DHClem
    DHClem Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    DHC said:

So...just do it now.

Yes, I don't know how else to affect them.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    jacobs said:

Yes, the "new" behavior in Quicken 2015/2016 for editing a split drives many of us longtime Quicken users crazy. I've been working with it for the past two years, and I still get it wrong quite frequently. The developers seem to think they "built a better mousetrap" when they developed splits for the debut of quicken 2015, and despite many complaints, they never respond and haven't changed it. for my sake, and many other frustrated Quicken Mac users, I wish they would change it back to the way previous versions of Quicken worked.

For anyone reading this who doesn't fully understand what's happening with split amounts, here's a brief explanation:

If you manually enter a new transaction, the split works the way you want and expect: if you create the $150 transaction, enter a split for $100, and enter the next split for $25, Quicken opens a third split line with the $25 remaining. Perfect.

But if you *edit* an existing split transaction, Quicken applies different rules depending which line of the split you edit. Let's go back to the example of a $150 transaction. Let's say it has two split lines, for $100 and $50. If you open this existing transaction to edit the split, and change the second split amount from $50 to $40, Quicken automatically changes the first split line from $100 to $110. But if you open the same transaction and edit the *first* split line amount from $100 to $85, Quicken opens a third split line for the $15 remainder, as expected and as Quicken has done in the past. It's terrible logic to have different things happen depending which split line you edit; it requires the user to think though how Quicken will process the edit, and work backward from the desired end result to figure out what sequence of change stop make in Quicken.

Here's one real-life example of how this is awful in practice. Like most salaried people, my gross pay doesn't vary from one payroll to another, but there's often a change of a penny or two in various payroll taxes. If my net pay changes by one cent, and I enter the extra penny in the total amount first, Quicken opens a new split line for one cent; I can then go to the appropriate tax line and edit the value that changed by one cent, the extra split line disappears, and all is well. But sometimes, net pay is unchanged, but two tax amounts change by a penny or two in opposite directions. As soon as I edit the first split line, Quicken automatically changes my gross pay (the first split line). I have to then manually change the first split line back to its original value, and then Quicken opens a new split line, and then I can edit the other split amount which needs to be changed. It's confusing to inexperienced users, and incredibly frustrating to me as a veteran Quicken user.

In other situations, I find I edit a split amount, realize the first split line amount has changed, but I don't know the original value, so I have to cancel my edit and start over, this time writing down the original amount of the first split line so I can manually change it back. Ugh, so frustrating!

And to add insult to injury, the Undo functionality -- which is otherwise great in Quicken Mac -- simply doesn't work when editing splits!

Here's hoping the developers will finally listen to user complains about split editing and change this in Quicken 2017.

This and taking away register view, are a couple reasons we are looking for options for when Q07 for Mac stops working.
  • RickO
    edited March 2018
    jacobs said:

I agree about the way splits work now being very annoying. But it's not a show-stopper.

I thought when I switched form QM2007 to QM2015, that the lack of a 2-line register would be very annoying too. I may be in the minority, but I now find the single line register (in which I control the order, layout, column width, etc) to be preferable. I can't see going back to 2-line even if they eventually make it an option.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    jacobs said:

Interesting, but that has nothing to do with the problem on splits.
  • RickO
    edited February 2017
    jacobs said:

In my 2nd paragraph, I was responding to GarryK's "taking away register view" comment. But you're right, it's off topic.