HELP!!! Lost YEARS of my information!!

HELP!!! Lost YEARS of my information!! I updated my transactions and it asked me which name I'd like to use for my main checking account. I picked one and now ALL my info is gone!

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I would restore a recent back up taken before the issue occurred.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • edited September 2016
    mshiggins said:

So my last backup is stupidly 6 months ago... is the only way I can undo this situation? I am sooooooo kicking myself right now for not backing up....
  • edited September 2016
    mshiggins said:

The question they asked with the name of the account had to do with my desktop vs my mobile... I don't even understand why it would be different from one to the other and I haven't even gone in quicken on my phone in a long time
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    [editted]  Just realized that this is Quicken for Mac, so the following probably doesn't apply.

The question about "my desktop vs my mobile" is asked when creating a new data file.

Are you sure that you did not create a NEW file when all this happened?  If so, look in the recent files list at the bottom of the File menu to find your file.

In Quicken, from the File menu, you can search your computer for Quicken data files.

There are also the automatic backups (unless you turned them off in Preferences), you will find them in the Backups folder where the data file is kept.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    mshiggins said:

Do you use Time Machine? Perhaps you have some more recent Quicken data there?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    splasher said:

[editted]  Just realized that this is Quicken for Mac, so the following probably doesn't apply.

The question about "my desktop vs my mobile" is asked when creating a new data file.

Are you sure that you did not create a NEW file when all this happened?  If so, look in the recent files list at the bottom of the File menu to find your file.

In Quicken, from the File menu, you can search your computer for Quicken data files.

There are also the automatic backups (unless you turned them off in Preferences), you will find them in the Backups folder where the data file is kept.

splasher's response is close to the QMac way.

If you did inadvertently create a new file  - then from the menu bar;
    File > Open Recent
    If you see another file listed, select it.

Unfortunately, QMac does not have the auto backup feature.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    splasher said:

If you did accidentally create a new data file, you might want to search your computer for ALL Quicken data files, so see if you can find your previous one. Use Spotlight (the little magnifying glass icon on the far right of your top menu bar) to search for ".quicken2016" (or ".quicken2015") -- without the quote marks.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    splasher said:

To try to locate other data files, take a look at this FAQ: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-faq-default-location-of-data-file-cr...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • edited September 2016
    mshiggins said:

I didn't have it turned on.... got my laptop in March and forget to set it up UGH
    Thanks for helping.
  • edited September 2016
    Thank you so much everyone! There is not one extra file on the computer and the only backup is the one I did when I switched computers in March... Lesson heard loud and clear!!! Setting up my time machine now... Thank you!
  • edited September 2016
    So I played around with my other desktop and backed it up first ;) I do not use this computer anymore but it still had my info up to March '16 so I went to update the transactions and got the same message... this time I screen shot it... image
  • edited September 2016

So I played around with my other desktop and backed it up first ;) I do not use this computer anymore but it still had my info up to March '16 so I went to update the transactions and got the same message... this time I screen shot it... image

When I was on my laptop (the computer I use for this daily) I clicked the mobile one... and that's when everything was lost.