Allow Add Reminder for Investment Transactions (9 Legacy Votes)

markus1957
markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
edited October 2023 in Investments
The Add Reminder dialogue can be activated by right-clicking a transaction in a banking register but not in an investment register. The dialogue conveniently fills the fields for the reminder based on the transaction selected. This would be especially useful in investment registers for managing cash flow and for tax planning. Currently, investment register reminders have to be created manually.
10 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    This would be very helpful. I currently have reminders for all of my dividend producing securities. A simpler way to create the income reminders when I add a new security would be great.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'd love to see this, too.  Since i "upgraded' my Vanguard IRA to their brokerage model, I can no longer do automatic exchanges between funds via their website -- so I have to remember to do them manually.  This would help!

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Reminders for investing transactions currently have the look and feel of a feature that was tacked on after the fact.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This idea is still quite valid. It would be a shame if it were archived. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does the buzzword Scheduled Transaction Group come to mind when I hear of scheduling reminders for investment transactions?
    Could it be that there's something in existence already for this purpose?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that I understand the issue.  I've already got an Income Reminder for a quarterly stock dividend.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Doug N.
    Doug N. Member ✭✭
    The latest "Quicken Windows Tips" (8/30/2021) mentions the ability to add a reminder by right-clicking a transaction in the register and selecting "Add Reminder," however it fails to note that this method apparently doesn't work for investment registers (and I'll confirm it doesn't work for me -- there is no "Add Reminder" option when I right-click a transaction). It would be a nice feature, though. I have a number of bonds that pay out twice a year and it would be nice to easily add reminders by right-clicking one of the transactions rather than manually entering an income reminder for each one.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    You can currently set up reminders for investment cash transactions - dividends, transfers, etc. Go to
    Tools > Manage Bill & Income reminders and click Add and Income Reminder for example. If you pick an investment account, It asks if it is a Deposit, Dividend, or Interest. This is inconvenient but it works. I use these for dividends, and the reminders feed directly to the Tax Planner.

Other types of investment transactions require you to memorize one or more transactions by right clicking and picking Memorize Investment transaction. Then on the Bill and Income reminders setup, you pick Add and then Scheduled transaction group, even if you only want one transaction. Then you pick an investment account, choose the Investment button, and pick one or more transactions that were memorized for that account.

As you can see, the setup for non-cash transactions like reinvestments is very clumsy. But these transactions are also complex, since you must specify the number of shares and that often varies from one instance to the next. 

A cleaner interface for both cash and other investment reminders would certainly be a big plus.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Dutch3
    Dutch3 Member
    Hi Jim, Thank you for these instructions. I am amazed that you were able to figure this out. What a labyrinth. I followed your instructions and did get a recurring investment income transaction set up so that it appears in Bills and Reminders. Thank you, Dutch3