Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Add a bond

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Add a bond to Quicken 2016 Deluxe? I'm operating under Windows 10 (although I'm not sure how my OS would affect this matter).

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    The version of Windows system doesn't matter for your specific question, but for other problems it may be the difference between "Yes, you can" and "No, you can't"

For more information about entering bond transactions into your investment account, please go into Quicken Help and perform a text search on "bond".
    To
    access Quicken Help simply press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken (or click
    Help in the Menu bar, then click Quicken Help).

Use the Contents tab to see the available books in Quicken Help. Click on one
    of the books to open it. Click on a chapter to drill down to more
    details.

Or use the Search tab to search using keywords, e.g., "buy
    security".

Some Quicken view screens may have a yellow button with a question mark. Click
    it to get view - specific help.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I've followed every Help Screen tutorial I could find, and I can't find the steps they're showing after I click "New Account" or "Brokerage". 

Does Deluxe not come with the option to track bonds?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    I've also tried Google "Does Quicken Deluxe allow tracking of bonds" and any iteration you can think of, but any Quicken help tutorial doesn't specify which version of Quicken it applies too.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Which brokerage are you using to handle your bond purchases?
    Have you created a brokerage account in Quicken yet? That in itself is a fairly simple process, but you need a user ID and password to access your accounts at the brokerage.
    Most US and some Canadian brokerages allow you to connect to them to download your security holdings information and all transactions. That means, under normal circumstances you shouldn't have to worry about manually entering such transactions.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    I purchased them through my finance squadron when I was active duty; I have physical / paper I-bonds from 2004 and up.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2017
    I finally went through the Help Desk and they advised purchasing the next upgrade. The version I bought + upgrade costs more than buying the other version outright.

Also, since Deluxe states it can track investments (but doesn't for mine in particular) and the Quicken help tutorials don't state which version of Quicken they apply to, I've decided to just get a refund and take my money elsewhere.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I've followed every Help Screen tutorial I could find, and I can't find the steps they're showing after I click "New Account" or "Brokerage". 

Does Deluxe not come with the option to track bonds?

Yes, the Deluxe version handles bonds.
    See attached image of one Quicken Help article - per ukr's instructions aboveimage
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    In Q, you must hold any security in an investment type account ... usually a Brokerage account.

Now, since you physically hold the paper, you need to create a phony, MANUAL, brokerage account.  Start to create a brokerage account, and when it asks what brokerage, click "Advanced Setup" at the bottom of the dialog box.  Create your account, and then you can add your bonds to it.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.