Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

I can't change a tax line item

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
When I try to change or add a tax line item to a category, I cannot do it because "edit" is not available. I can only get a report of the category. Double clicking just takes me to the security list. i think there is a bug or problem with my Quicken.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    How does one jump from a Category to the Security List? I'm totally puzzled.

To be able to give
    you a correct answer, we need to know what version and release of Quicken you
    are using.
    What version of Windows or Mac OS are you using?
    Click Help / About Quicken (Mac: Quicken / About Quicken) to determine
    year/version and release.

Please describe the process that you are trying to go through in more detail.

Can you also please
    capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken screen showing the
    issue, redacted as necessary to protect your privacy, and attach the image(s)
    here?

The Windows Snipping
    Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen
    image and save it to a file.

To take a screenshot
    in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361

Please create image
    files of type PNG, JPG or BMP only.

To attach the image
    here, start composing your response. At the bottom of the text entry window
    you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I U S

Click the camera
    icon (not the video camera icon). It will allow you to select and upload the
    captured image file from your computer. The captured image will be inserted at
    wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    I want to add a tax line item to one of the accounts in my IRA (two other accounts already have the tax item) and cannot do it. When I right click on it, there is no option to edit or add a tax line item. I am using Quicken 2014 for Windows. image
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    You cannot change these types of category assignments from the Category List.

Go into Edit Account Details for the retirement account that you want to change.
    At the bottom of the window is a button "Tax Schedule". Click it.
    In the popup select the proper categories for Transfer In and Transfer out.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    JoAnd59 said:

I want to add a tax line item to one of the accounts in my IRA (two other accounts already have the tax item) and cannot do it. When I right click on it, there is no option to edit or add a tax line item. I am using Quicken 2014 for Windows. image

You should use Total IRA taxable distrib. instead. That's the TLI used by Quicken's Tax Planner to track IRA distributions.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thank you.  That seems to have been my problem, but I don't understand why several of the securities in my category list show that tax item and one security (in my IRA) does not show it..  However, it does seem to have recorded correctly as the distribution did show up in my tax report.
This discussion has been closed.