Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

RR Donnelley spinoff

Nancy Keith
Nancy Keith Member ✭✭
edited July 2018 in Investing (Windows)
The company RR Donnelley spun off 3 companies: Donnelley Financial Solutions, Advansix, and LSC Commmunications. Before the spin off, I owned 900 shares. After the spin off, I now own 300 shares.. How do I enter these transactions in Quicken 2016

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Are you using Q2016 for Windows or for Mac?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Nancy Keith
    Nancy Keith Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Windows 10, Quicken 2016. We live on the SE FL coast, right in the path of Matthew, so if I don't get back with you soon, don't give up on me..
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Advansix spun off from Honeywell. The other two came from RRD.

Pretty much the only way to address that type of two at once spinoff is with a Removes Shares for the one original company followed by Add Shares for the three companies. The Add shares are done on an individual lot basis. You should be able to apply the 1-for 3 reverse split for RRD at the same time.

You will need to have the form 8937 data or similar information to determine the allocation of the original basis to the three parts, thus your patience will be rewarded.

In principal, if you started with 300 shares, in one lot you would remove those 300 shares, and then add back in 100 shares of RRD and 37.5 shares of the other two companies, then be selling 0.5 shares of those other two companies for cash in lieu distrinbitions received. For the Add Shares transactions pay attention to bothe the original acquisition date and the cost basis for each lot.

HTH
  • Nancy Keith
    Nancy Keith Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thank you.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    Are you saying: A) RRDonnelley split into 3 new companies, one of which still had RRDonnelley in the name but the original RRDonnelley no longer exists, or B) Two new companies split off from RRDonnelley and the original company still exists. Reason I'm asking is that I had some RRD shares before the split and when I downloaded my transaction from Fidelity something seems messed up.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016
    You said that you started with 900 shares of RRD and now have 300. I think you would Remove 900 shares of RRD and Add back 300.If you are not able to download these tx from your brokerage, you also now have to enter two tx to Add 112 shares of DFIN @ $26.75 and 112 shares of LKSD @ $33.31 as of 2016/10/03. You also have to enter Cash Deposit transactions for the Fractions of shares that weren't converted. I got $11.02 for 1/2 share of DFIN and $13.52 for 1/2 share of LKSD. The math doesn't seem right but whada ya gonna do?!
This discussion has been closed.