Don't agree with Post by Quicken team Re: MAC 3.5 Reconcile Troubleshooting example

102_dar_70102_dar_70 Member ✭✭
In reference to the new way Quicken generates the beginning balance in a new reconciliation. If there is an old prior transaction that was part of a reconciled "balanced" period in Quicken denoted by turning the "Clr" check mark "green" means all transactions reconciled at the time had to match the bank OR if not and the user checked off  example given for $500.00 when it should of been $50.00 according to the bank, then the only way to force a balanced reconciliation condition in Quicken would be to enter an "Adjustment" for the difference of $450.00.  So how is it possible for there to be an imbalance after the fact YOU HAVE TO ASK.  The answer is there should NOT.... but people are encounting this condition which means it's not the user's bad data as if the user created the problem, it's the instability of the Quicken data itself that is susceptible to being changed (corrupted) after the fact including being deleted and even if the user did accidentally hit the delete key they would see a pop up message alerting them to the action and stop them.  I personally experienced this after two updates. I incurred changes to previously reconciled transactions; one was missing altogether as I discovered during my research to why my beginning balance was off after the update, after another update a transaction previously reconciled which should of had a Green check mark no longer was checked "unreconciled" throwing my beginning balance off.  The one thing I can say, is with the change made in 3.5.2 it reveals these errors in the register but Quicken programmers are not recognizing the real problem is in the Quicken program itself on the stability of the data.  I have always said, once reconciled and balanced, the program should not allow changes unless you request a re-reconciliation for the same period through a Quicken feature (available in Mac 2007) not available currently in 2016  (say you entered an adjustment and later discovered the actual transactions discrepancies and want to correct your records).  I want to state as I have multiple times, the promoting of entering "adjustments" to offset the real issues is just a plain bad philosophy (buyer beware it comes back to haunt you since you don't know what you are writing off). I can confidently state the above as I reconciled bank accounts 40 hrs a week for a financial institution....it was what I did for a living.   I hope the Quicken team seriously re-evaluates the issues that are causing the imbalances in the first place that have not been resolved.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    What post are you referencing?

Also, please consider including white space in your post. It's very hard to read a solid block of text.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • 102_dar_70102_dar_70 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    P.S. Since I have never entered an adjustment in order to balance a reconciliation and will not (there is always a reason you don't balance), I wonder if when someone does enter an adjustment to balance, does it generate a transaction in the register and denote "clr".  If it doesn't, I can see how how that poses a problem in proper documentation and Quicken calculations of cleared transactions in the future. 

I also think there should be a history of reconciliations done that can be accessed by the user as in 2007 as well as showing if adjustments were accepted to balance.  There needs to be more integrity in the reconciliation process by Quicken.  I also don't think the beginning balance generated by Quicken in the reconcile process should allow it to be over written by the user as in 3.5.2 which defeats the whole purpose of this new function insuring the Quicken account data agrees with the bank.
    edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

Also, please consider including white space in your post. It's very hard to read a solid block of text.

This was a post by a Quicken team member "Troubleshooting Reconcile 3.5 posted 2 days ago. They refuse to see the root of the reconcile problems which is a Quicken program issue that still has not been resolved with this update . Until then, it will continue to be a problematic feature.  He did not allow comments so this was the only way I figured I could get my opinion out there. 
    edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

Can't edit for spacing but duly noted.
  • Quicken ColinQuicken Colin Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    mshiggins said:

Are you referring to this article posted by Quicken Marcus: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-v3-5-reconcile-trooubleshooting?
  • J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    mshiggins said:

The link to Quicken Marcus' post follows;

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-mac-v3-5-reconcile-trooubleshooting
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    mshiggins said:

Thank you :-)
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

P.S. Since I have never entered an adjustment in order to balance a reconciliation and will not (there is always a reason you don't balance), I wonder if when someone does enter an adjustment to balance, does it generate a transaction in the register and denote "clr".  If it doesn't, I can see how how that poses a problem in proper documentation and Quicken calculations of cleared transactions in the future. 

I also think there should be a history of reconciliations done that can be accessed by the user as in 2007 as well as showing if adjustments were accepted to balance.  There needs to be more integrity in the reconciliation process by Quicken.  I also don't think the beginning balance generated by Quicken in the reconcile process should allow it to be over written by the user as in 3.5.2 which defeats the whole purpose of this new function insuring the Quicken account data agrees with the bank.

I agree wholeheartedly....That is why you can now  VOTE for the feature to Track/Store Prior Reconciled Statements/periods, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-track-store-prior-reconciled-stat...

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top or THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

Yes, I am referencing the post by Marcus. Also for clarification, I am referring to reconciling by statement which is a manual reconciliation procedure only.  Please don't confuse my comments with the Online version as I don't do anything online through Quicken and can't comment on it.
    edited October 2016

This is definitely needed among stabilizing and protecting data.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

102_dar_70, your premise in disagreeing with Marcus, if I understand correctly, is that it can't be true because a user would have had to mark as reconciled a transaction with a wrong amount at some point in history. Or a transaction was right at the time, but later changed inexplicably. Or a user deleted a previously reconciled transaction, ignoring the program's warning.

I think you discount possibilities that are more likely than spontaneous changes in the amount of a single past transaction or other data instability. First, not all users are as fastidious as you are. You have posted repeatedly that you wouldn't make an adjustment just to get something to balance, because it's just wrong and the source of a discrepancy must be found. But many users would simply have made an adjustment and moved on.

Second, many users have experienced downloading duplicate transactions at times from their bank, which can happen when changing connection methods. And the database in Quicken 2007 and older versions did occasionally have hiccups; most problems were cured by re-indexing the database, but I have experienced some anomalies over the years. (In one case, the dates of a block of transactions in one account inexplicably changed to many years earlier; I've figured out the scope of that issue, but it's still on my to-do list to fix it. In another case, a number of transfer transactions became 'orphaned' from the other sides of their transfers, making it possible to have a one-sided transaction which should be impossible.) Such glitches with older data could easily go undetected for years, and could have lead some users to make an offsetting balance adjustment somewhere along the way.

You say that Quicken shouldn't allow changes to previously reconciled transactions. Maybe so -- but it does, and it always has. Quicken is not a commercial double-entry accounting system, which prevents changes and maintains a complete audit trail; it's personal finance software which allows users to, say, skip months of reconciliations, to make changes to data rather than making offsetting adjusting entries, and other things you might view as "wrong" from a pure accounting standpoint.

I have many years of bookkeeping and accounting experience at work myself, and I'm a stickler for hunting down discrepancies and getting things to work to the penny -- so I get your point. But Quicken simply isn't designed to enforce the types of safeguards commercial accounting software does. It allows users to make adjustments or corrections without reversing entries or audit trails. It allows users to delete a reconciled transaction with one click to dismiss a warning asking "are you sure you sit to do this?" Accounting software wouldn't allow that, but personal finance software does, simply because not every user has the skills or patience to be as much of a perfectionist with their data as you or I might be.

You may personally disagree with this philosophy, but it's pretty much the nature of personal finance software. And you can argue that the software shouldn't allow users to make adjustments, and should force them to find the underlying issues and make correcting transactions, but I think that goes beyond the scope of this type of software. Users can get themselves into trouble -- as you say, "buyer beware" -- and the job of the software is to help them identify the problem and get back on track. I do agree with you that storing reconciliations and allowing users to re-reconcile a previously reconciled period, like Quicken 2007 did, would be a good thing -- for precisely the purpose of helping users find and fix problems with their data. But I don't think you can have this type of software ban adjustments or deleting transactions, actions which may or may not prove to be wise. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited December 2016

@jacobs, Well Said! 

That is my position too, and I share all the experiences you have stated, including altered/bad data from older versions. Now we just need those tools to make tracking down discrepancies easier, and not forcing users into only one solution but allowing flexibility.

That is why I recommend voting for those kinds of features, as per the link above.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited October 2016

Mr Jacobs; Well, I guess we all agree on one thing.......is that data can become corrupted even without user intervention (my experience with the change in my data occurred just after the "update to the next version in 2016" process that changed a reconciled transaction to a non "clr" and another reconciled item just dropped). And to further highlight the data instability issues in 2016, I find it amazing that not one transaction I imported with over 9 years of data from 2007 into 2016 resulted in some ghost of a problem hidden in my past surfacing as a result.   

Note: I am not addressing online issues here at all as that is even more problematic from what I see and I do not wish to engage in a third party software connecting with my bank account.  

You want to defend the work arounds/flexibility as you call it as though people who would even spend the amount of time and energy documenting their financial activity would just be so caviler about the integrity of the process and reliability of the data out put.  Just look at all the angry people here on these forums and I think it speaks for itself. I am not against an adjustment if necessary to move on as long as it is properly documented and identifiable in the register and in history report which we don't have yet which allows for a re-reconciliation.  All I'm saying is lets do it right.     
    edited October 2016

Add'l note: this is a free world and if someone choses to muck up their financial information with creative work arounds then they need to own it (garbage in/garbage out), but I don't think Quicken should support anything from a programming perspective that lacks integrity if they want to be respected as a quality financial reporting product in the industry of personal or commercial products....quite frankly why I think Intuit dumped it cause it became a stepchild that went rogue and they didn't make enough money from it so they just distanced themselves to preserve their reputation and focus on their parent Quickbooks product.  I also wonder if some of this "flexibility" built in as you refer to it isn't responsible for the weird things happening with the data being experienced.

I'm done so you can counter me all you want but I stand firm on my convictions and I know I have a lot of supporters out there too.
    edited December 2016

I was going to write out a sample of situations I ran into over the years that QM2007 afforded me to handle because of its flexibility (due to illness that required a period of about 8 years to get my financial affairs back in order, with a lot of catching up and falling behind cycles, and due to software bugs by Quicken) without ever entering any adjustments, but it appears that you are trying to apply an accounting mindset to personal finances. 

Personal finance is NOT an "industry". And I think @jacobs tries to make that point.

I personally am extremely fastidious and NEVER use adjustments (except for my cash on hand accounts). Even in my clean-up over the 8 years, requiring to enter an adjustment to deal with periods I needed to temporarily skip (as you suggested here: post) would have made the task FAR harder to handle.

If you are looking for that level of rigor, you may be better off using a true accounting software. But that is not what the personal finances "industry" is all about. That level of rigor is not suitable, nor needed, for all users. That is the space that personal financial software fits into, yet it still allows you to be as fastidious as you would like.

Quicken does have checks and balances but it is not necessary to force these type of users into a single view of managing personal finances.

edited October 2016

Let me make myself clear, I don't care how you want to manage your  personal/business bookkeeping practices personally, I just want to see accountability that is trackable with reports/history etc. so the data has integrity. I know there are those that want to split hairs on terminology I use but you know what, it doesn't matter what platform we are talking about, a debit is a debit and likewise with credits and that is the premise no matter how you want to spin it or pick it apart. So lets move on please!
  • swaltersswalters Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

I agree and I think the guide was useless.  I have 2 accounts that I can't reconcile, one that I download and one that I don't.  Both reconciled prior to the update.  

There is a discrepancy between my quicken balance and my online balance of the account that is connected to the bank  and the update did help me find this.  However I can't locate the discrepancy.  I agree that adding an adjustment is not the right answer because I would like to know where the mistake is.  

My other account is my HSA and I manually enter everything.  This account balance matches my online balance however it still will not reconcile.  The difference is  only 33 cents which is the same as the interest I have been paid the past few months which makes me think there is a bug in the program.  This account does not have that many transactions and after reviewing past statements I still cannot find a mistake.

I tried chatting with support today but kept getting disconnected.
    edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

Swalters,
      I understand your frustration and thank you for bringing your experience to this  forum as I have been trying to shout this out but I keep meeting resistant. You have well documented the problem both online and manually, thank you.  

If you entered the interest in the register and reconciled it too at the time and balanced, then it should still be there in your register after the update and been included in Quickens starting balance for the next recon. All things true and it is no longer showing up in the register after the update, then it was dropped during the update....there is no other explanation IMO.

I had the same experience with one transaction for 100.00 that was reconciled and found missing after an update which throw my starting balance off (did this pre exist before the update why would it and I never use adjustments to balance) but the response was I must of deleted it and I assure you I know better than that and besides theres a built in warning if you should even attempt to delete a reconciled transaction.  

I ran into an additional situation after an update and that was a reconciled item with the check mark (reconciled) now no longer had a check mark throwing creating a discrepancy when I went to reconcile and I had to hunt it down like the other one and fix it. 

I have advocated strongly if adjustments have to be used instead of finding the issue and correcting it which is part and parcel in doing a reconciliation in the first place or what's the point IMO, then adjustments should appear in the register as a transaction and in a recon History report we don't currently have not just a click of an OK and the problem disappears.

I hope you will confirm you entered and reconciled the interest and it's missing from the register pure and simple. Maybe the Quicken team will see there really is a problem they need to fix maybe in the update process itself. 
    edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

I have to admit, I think there are Support Techs regardless of company that disconnect the call with you on purpose when they don't know how to fix your problem and so you just go away or back in the pool for someone else to deal with.  I am sure of it.
    edited December 2016
    mshiggins said:

You may want to VOTE for the feature to Track/Store Prior Reconciled Statements/periods, which would help in this circumstance. See the link just below.

But be aware that if you do not click VOTE at the top of the page for THAT, your vote will NOT be counted!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

Swalters, after reading your post again, I am not sure why you are off by the past reconciled accummilated interest of .33 when your beginning balance matched the bank statement beginning balance. You have to enter the interest and "clr" to balance and if it is missing from the register or no longer marked "clr" in the register now as I previously posted, then your Quicken beginning balance should not match the bank.  

Maybe the amount your off is a coincidence in the amount and it's really something off in the current recon.   Or maybe, you really didn't agree with the bank to begin with like you thought (easy to over look .33) if the issue really is in your historical reconciliations.   Otherwise, maybe you can clarify the issue.
    edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

P.S. Please support the enhancement smayer97 is promoting.
    edited December 2016
    mshiggins said:

BTW, @102_dar_70, your vote has not yet been counted their either...  ;-)

edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

Really, I guess I didn't have the time to go through your whole list yet, but I am a supporter of a History of reconciliation activity that records the beginning balance by Quicken calculations, bank ending balance and recon difference 0 < (- or + value) by period like in 2007 with the addition of adding in  a record of any adjustment  on beginning balance or otherwise for tracking purposes with the ability to re-reconcile so an adjustment can be corrected later.  I will look it over but I do support the concept.

:)
    edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

Interesting, how do you know if I voted or not since I couldn't remember but I know I looked at it.
    edited December 2016
    mshiggins said:

If you click on the # beside the VOTE it will bring up a list of all those that have cast their vote.

• swaltersswalters Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

102_dar_70 just to clarify, prior to update my ending balance in Quicken matched my statement balance. I had 4 transactions for the month (a recurring payment, a 2nd payment, a deposit and my interest I received). The difference of all matching transactions and my statement balance is 33 cents

Unfortunately my HSA changed banks 18 months ago and I didn't retain my paper copies of satatements and they are nolonger available online.

Where do we vote at? I'll definitely vote
    edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

Swalters, OK, so I am assuming your last reconciliation performed balanced between Quicken and the bank with a zero difference before you update to 3.5.2. 

This would mean if the .33 was interest earned in past months you reconciled then the .33 after the update to 3.5.2 should be included in the Quicken's calculations to generate your next Reconciliation "Statement/Prior Balance" which is what should happen.

The first thing you should verify when you begin a reconciliation is if the Quicken beginning Balance calcualtions agrees with the Bank's beginning balance.  If there's a difference at this point, then you know right off the bat you have issues haunting you from the past that you need to clean up before getting started reconciling the next month.

Lets assume after the update you must of been off the .33 in the Quicken starting balance compared to your Bank starting balance.  If you were less .33 (since this was a Deposit) then I would go back to the register and verify if that interest is there IN THE DEPOSIT COLUMN and if it has they have check marks next to them (if it doesn't, that would account for why it didn't get picked up by Quicken when it generated your starting balance because it only picks up the  transactions check with "Clr" checked.   This is the problem I said I had.  If this is the case ,you will need to re-enter the interest in the register and click the "Clr" box; it should adjust the recon if I'm right (don't worry it will turn the box green when your finish reconciling).  

On the other hand, If you have .33 to much, it would mean a duplication occurred somewhere that Quicken picked up.  Since you only have four transactions, I would start over by unchecking the transactions and verifying the beginning balances between Quicken and the Bank to find where the .33 your off is coming from so you know where to research the problem (either from the past or is a current different problem to altogether).

Your right to stay away from entering adjustments even for .33 to not muck up things and only add to future issues should they arise.

Once thing I can say, these challenges make you learn more about the product good or bad.
    edited October 2016
    mshiggins said:

Maybe smayer97 can supply a link so people no where to go to vote.  Not easy to find it. you might just include it part of your sign off.
    edited December 2016
    mshiggins said:

It is located just 2 posts below...but not a problem, here it is again to VOTE for the feature to Track/Store Prior Reconciled Statements/periods: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-ability-to-track-store-prior-reconciled-stat...

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers.