Home Quicken for Windows Investing (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Cleaning up" Investment List" (Cntrl Y)

PutterFluttersPutterFlutters Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in Investing (Windows)
QW2016 R8 Premier

Years ago I had an account with a robo broker that put me into about 60 different equity issues that I no longer hold.  Those position were closed out with sales years ago.  The problem is that those issue are still around in my "Investment list" and just for the sake of housekeeping I'd like to get rid of them.

Problem is ... when I select any of those securities the DELETE button is grayed out.

There are no transactions listed in the "Transaction History"

When I hit the REPORT button there are no listings.

I am at a loss as to why I can't delet them.

Thanks

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Is the account where you held these securities still in you Quicken file? If the account is still in your file, you won't be able to delete these securities.

In cases where I don't want old securities cluttering up my security list, but I want to keep the securities for historical purposes, I renamed the security and prep ended the name with Z. This sorts the securities to the bottom of the list.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • PutterFluttersPutterFlutters Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks...that is probably the answer.  Will play around and see if I can get to where I want to go.  I bet at 18 megs my data file isn't close to Quicken's capacity but it is close to mine...:-)
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    As stated, you can't delete a security if there are transactions in the file for that security.

BUT, regarding your Security List ... isn't checking the "HIDE" box simpler than changing the securities name???

Entries in the Security list take up a trivial amount of space, and deleting them (which you can't do anyway) won't have any significant impact on your space issue.

What will help (slightly) is if you do FILE, File Operations, Copy.  Leaving the settings as they appear will cause deleted records to be removed from your file.

And, be sure you make a backup before doing this, you can also adjust the dates to trim the file. This could have a large impact on file size.

Lastly, attachments to your QDF add a lot of bytes to the file. Avoid them if file size is a concern.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    edited December 2016

As stated, you can't delete a security if there are transactions in the file for that security.

BUT, regarding your Security List ... isn't checking the "HIDE" box simpler than changing the securities name???

Entries in the Security list take up a trivial amount of space, and deleting them (which you can't do anyway) won't have any significant impact on your space issue.

What will help (slightly) is if you do FILE, File Operations, Copy.  Leaving the settings as they appear will cause deleted records to be removed from your file.

And, be sure you make a backup before doing this, you can also adjust the dates to trim the file. This could have a large impact on file size.

Lastly, attachments to your QDF add a lot of bytes to the file. Avoid them if file size is a concern.

I prefer the renaming. That way every time I make a historical report, I don't have to remember to unhide things.
    edited December 2016

Thanks :-)  Just curious if/when a QDF might become "too big".  I realize there are a LOT of variables there.
    =============
    I know I am going to get a "don't do that" but I continue to store my data/backup files in my a Google Drive Directory.  Google Drive then updates those file to "the cloud" and it takes a bit of time to xfer 18 megs.  Not THAT long..but just a bit too long to suit me.
    edited December 2016

No I don't think your file will become too big from a number of old currently unused securities. Yes I do think you will run into trouble storing your file on Google drive.
    edited December 2016

Guess we will see on both  :-)

But seriously folks.... for 3 or 4 years I have been using my current configuration:
    Mac OS w/Google Drive, Parallels, Window 8/10.  Google Drive hasn't messed with my QDF files.....yet.  (I'm sure someone will offer.... "just you wait"  :-).

I have backups of my backups....:-)  and the current flexibility Google drive affords me would make a file restoration well worth it. 

On the other hand... on the Mac side ...  "I think" I might have had some problems.  I suspect that "data file" structure might have been one of them.  I had so many other problems that I didn't spend much time at all pinning down anything.  The Mac version's "lack-o-features" as compared to the Windows version pretty much made it an unrewarding challenge.
This discussion has been closed.