Home Quicken for Windows Investing (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Placeholder MIA

UnknownUnknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
Brokerage acct in Q2016 shows negative shares for a security.  When expanded, it shows the negative balance is the result of a placeholder entry.  However, there are no placeholder entries anywhere in the account. When I click on the entry, I get the "Enter Missing Transaction" screen.  It refers to "Shares from transaction (above)" but there are none.  I can't delete the security because the same security name appears in another account not in any way related to this one.  How can I resolve this?

Comments

• UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Select:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Investment transactions -> select Show hidden transactions

That will allow you to see the placeholder in the account.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Thank you!  After following your post 26 placeholders showed up, most of which had zero shares.  Interesting.  But when clicking on the phantom negative shares in holdings, I still see no transactions, placeholder or otherwise.  The placeholders only show up in the register/transactions.  Thanks again!
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    edited December 2016

Thank you!  After following your post 26 placeholders showed up, most of which had zero shares.  Interesting.  But when clicking on the phantom negative shares in holdings, I still see no transactions, placeholder or otherwise.  The placeholders only show up in the register/transactions.  Thanks again!

The zero placeholders are a bug in Quicken 2016.  If you have this option on they will show up every time you download and there is any kind of activity:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Downloaded transactions -> Automatically add to investment transaction lists

Just so you know a placeholder is add/suggested when the number of shares in your Quicken account doesn't agree with what your financial institution sent when you downloaded your transactions.  It is like a balance adjustment for a reconcile that wasn't zero.  As in you are missing buy(s)/sell(s) or some transaction has the wrong amount of shares in it.

Personally would start by resolving the placeholders, by putting in the right transactions.

Past that the negative shares could have to do with other problems like "corruption".
    You should try:
    File -> File Operations -> Validate and Repair ... -> Select Validate File and Rebuild investing lots -> OK
  • Ray CosnerRay Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    This bug remains in Quicken Premier 2017.
This discussion has been closed.