Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

unit price different than share price

Unknown
Unknown Member
edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I've been trying to get my 403(b) account with Voya added to Quicken. I've had the account for nearly 10 years but I can only get statements and transaction info for the last 18 months. When I first enter a fund, I add the number of shares and the total value of my holding from the statement. When I add "fund #1" at 269.3152 shares for $8,059.53, it averages the share at $39.123438. Voya calls that my Unit price, but the actual share price on that day was $20.74. Since Quicken updates the share price, my account value always shows much less than what I see on my statement. Every payday I enter the new shares purchased, and the same thing happens - I have to put in an average share price (which is actually Voya's Unit price) that is much higher than the quote downloaded by Quicken. 

I understand the difference between share price and unit price, but I don't know how to get this sync with Quicken. 

Comments

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Your holdings with Voya are in Institutional Funds - the use of the terms Units and Unit Price is a good clue that this is happening. The underlying makeup of an institutional fund is defined by the FI - Voya in your case.
    The FI frequently uses the name of a publicly traded fund for its' institutional fund - but they are not the same.

The user must use the FI's unit price - not the publicly traded price. You can only get these unit prices directly from the FI. You can not use Quickens quote update for these holdings. You should go into the Security List and clear the check box for Download Quotes for these particular holdings.

This situation is not unique to Voya - many FI's use institutional funds in retirement accounts.

For my main retirement account, I go to the FI's web site to get the unit price info (they do not offer any downloading) - I then copy/paste the values into Quicken. I do this on a weekly basis and at the end of the month.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016
    JM said:

Your holdings with Voya are in Institutional Funds - the use of the terms Units and Unit Price is a good clue that this is happening. The underlying makeup of an institutional fund is defined by the FI - Voya in your case.
    The FI frequently uses the name of a publicly traded fund for its' institutional fund - but they are not the same.

The user must use the FI's unit price - not the publicly traded price. You can only get these unit prices directly from the FI. You can not use Quickens quote update for these holdings. You should go into the Security List and clear the check box for Download Quotes for these particular holdings.

This situation is not unique to Voya - many FI's use institutional funds in retirement accounts.

For my main retirement account, I go to the FI's web site to get the unit price info (they do not offer any downloading) - I then copy/paste the values into Quicken. I do this on a weekly basis and at the end of the month.

While I had hoped for some setting that I couldn't find, this was basically what I assumed as a work around. Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.