Home Quicken for Windows Investing (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

investing.quicken.com vs Bonds

PutterFluttersPutterFlutters Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Investing (Windows)
QW2016 Premier R8 / Windows 10 /Parallels / Mac OS 10

When I update my IRA portfolio it updates to investing.quicken.com.

investing.quicken.com I contains sections for Stocks / ETFs / Mutual Funds / Cash / Other.

The Stocks / ETFs / Mutual Funds / Cash  sections appear to acurately represent my holdings in that account.

The Other section has the columns named:
Name, Initial Value, Current Value, Today's Gain/Loss, OverallGain/Loss

The Name, has the CUSIP; Initial Value is correct; Current Value is incorrect (not what is shown in Quicken2016).  Today's Gain/Loss, OverallGain/Loss are blank.

Is it possible to see the bonds information properly listed?

Comments

• q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Not as far as I can see.  I don't use that service in general, but as I manage something manually, when I use their Bonds Bought sequence, nothing ever appears and when I enter an "Other" entry, it behaves as you indicate - no current day data.  That is to be expected (IMO), since there is no ticker symbol involvement.  You can (when managed manually) edit an "other" holding for the current valuation, but it will not compute as Today's Gain/Loss or Overall Gain/Loss.  

Overall, I have always seen that site as quirky and I opt not to place all my security information on it.  

HTH
  • PutterFluttersPutterFlutters Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

Not as far as I can see.  I don't use that service in general, but as I manage something manually, when I use their Bonds Bought sequence, nothing ever appears and when I enter an "Other" entry, it behaves as you indicate - no current day data.  That is to be expected (IMO), since there is no ticker symbol involvement.  You can (when managed manually) edit an "other" holding for the current valuation, but it will not compute as Today's Gain/Loss or Overall Gain/Loss.  

Overall, I have always seen that site as quirky and I opt not to place all my security information on it.  

HTHWelllllll  :-)  It is quite possible to do as it is done in the 2016 Premier Version that I run.  "THEY" just haven't gotten around to doing it on the web side ...  yet   :-)

As for symbols...  "I THINK" what is also being used to track investments (probably in the background) in most places (sometime way behind the scenes) is the CUSIP.  Hidden almost out of view in Quicken's  
    EDIT SECURITY DETAILS> ADDITIONAL SECURITY INFORMATION is buried the CUSIP ID.  

CUSIPs cover just about every investment type and could (probably should) be used in place of symbols but symbols were there first and are much more man readable.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    I haven't looked at it in a while but the market value calculation for individual bonds on investing.quicken.com has never been able to handle the per 100 unit basis bonds are priced at on the market. Quicken desktop handles it but the website does not. It's been that way for many years. Mint could never handle it either. That was the main reason I quit using Mint and the reason I don't use the Quicken investing.com website portfolio.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

HTH
    "I THINK" what is also being used to track investments (probably in the background) in most places (sometime way behind the scenes) is the CUSIP.
    In the Quicken program, the CUSIP is only used as a matching mechanism to tie a security reported by the brokerage to a security in the user's specific QUicken data file.  The CUSIP is not used in the downloading of quotes from the Quicken servers.  So I would be saying that the CUSIP is not being used to track securities - in the background or otherwise.  The CUSIP has a very limited role in the Quicken program.  

That is a comment about the current state of affairs in the program, not about other it those affairs might otherwise be managed.  
  • PutterFluttersPutterFlutters Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    q.lurker said:

HTHYah...the CUSIP folks created a whole lotta work for those who may choose to use them.  I am not surprised that Quicken has yet made a move to use that info. I would bet that any transistion from one methodolgy to another would be fraught with peril.

As it usually seems the case with Quicken...evolution rather than revolution.  FINE WITH ME.... :-)
This discussion has been closed.