Home Quicken for Windows Investing (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

unlink investment account

edited October 2018 in Investing (Windows)
I want to unlink an investment account from my checking account, but only going forward, not for past transactions. Any way to accomplish this? If not, what are the alternatives? Thanks!

Comments

• UnknownUnknown Alumni
    edited September 2017
    Hi Steve,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. To help us provide the most appropriate answer, please let us know what Quicken product (QWin or QMac), what version (2015, 2016, etc.) and what release you have installed. Also, let us know whether you using the US version of Quicken or Quicken Canada.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • edited October 2016
    Q 2011 Windows Premier release 8 (20.1.8.6) - US
  • J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Create a new brokerage account.
    Transfer the holdings from the old brokerage account to the new one.
    Also, transfer the cash balance from the checking account to the new brokerage account.

You might want to do this at the close of a statement cycle to make reconciling easier.

Carry on using the new brokerage account.
    The old linked accounts will remain intact.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited December 2016
    JM said:

Create a new brokerage account.
    Transfer the holdings from the old brokerage account to the new one.
    Also, transfer the cash balance from the checking account to the new brokerage account.

You might want to do this at the close of a statement cycle to make reconciling easier.

Carry on using the new brokerage account.
    The old linked accounts will remain intact.

Concur.  And given brokerage account can either have, or not have, a 'Linked Checking account".  You can't have an LCA for a while, and keep that part intact, and then NOT have an LCA for that brokerage account.  A new brokerage account is needed.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • edited October 2018
    Thanks for the info. My experience has been that investment reports get pretty screwed up when transferring transactions between accounts. But maybe that's been fixed...
  • J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve said:

Thanks for the info. My experience has been that investment reports get pretty screwed up when transferring transactions between accounts. But maybe that's been fixed...

I think the investment reports are ok - but one has to be careful in cases where a security is transferred from one account to another.
    Example - if your looking for the security performance over the total time held, you must subtotal the report (or Portfolio View) by security rather than subtotal by account. Subtotaling by account will give you the performance only for the period held in a particular account.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

This discussion has been closed.