Quicken on Linux by 2020 for Those Rejecting Windows 10 (15 Legacy & 2 Merged Votes)

13»

Comments

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    According  to stats found online Windows is 75% of the market, Mac is 16% and Linux is 2%. Doubtful it is going to happen.  
  • Get with it
    Get with it Member ✭✭
    Yeah, and crypto will never take off either. :o
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And in the 2% market share there is like 100 distributions.  So you can't even build a "Linux version".  You have to build a Debian, Ubuntu, SUSE, Fedora, .... versions.

It just isn't going to happen.  You can believe anything you like, cost to reward just isn't there.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read all the excuses for why Quicken can't get its act together and make a version for Linux but with more and more people getting away from corrupt Microsoft and Apple, how about getting ahead of the curve and starting the development since it's likely inevitable that it will be needed to stay in touch with the market.
    You could try CrossOver from Code Weavers. Windows Software on Mac, Linux, and ChromeOS with CrossOver | CodeWeavers They have a free trial.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • joec319
    joec319 Member
    Hello,

I would like to make a suggestion for Quicken.

Since Quicken doesn't have a version for Linux, one way that Quicken could get that started is modifying the Windows version so that it can run on Wine on Linux. I've tried running Quicken on Wine in Linux, and I've bumped into a number of issues that have led to me not getting it to run. Although I've found ways to work around some of the issues, there are still many other issues I'm trying to work around.

For example, with the current Quicken for Windows version, if you run the installer, it automatically installs the PDF Printer Driver. That causes the installer to not install Quicken through Wine on Linux. If Quicken modified the Windows version to give the option whether to install the PDF Printer Driver, it would complete the installation process in Linux through Wine.

So my main idea is if the developers can see what needs to be modified to run Quicken for Windows in Linux using Wine. If Quicken can develop a more "bare bones" version of Quicken for Windows that runs in Linux via Wine, that would be a great option.

Thanks!

Joe
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't Crossover make a Windows emulator for Linux machines?  You could then run Quicken Windows on Linux machines.  
  • isonclubikin
    isonclubikin Member ✭✭✭
    joec319 said:
    ...For example, with the current Quicken for Windows version, if you run the installer, it automatically installs the PDF Printer Driver. That causes the installer to not install Quicken through Wine on Linux. If Quicken modified the Windows version to give the option whether to install the PDF Printer Driver, it would complete the installation process in Linux through Wine....
    And the kicker with that PDF Printer Driver is that it's not needed.  I'm almost positive Windows comes with its own PDF Printer driver.  But, even if it didn't, people can always install their own from various sources.

Of course, the instructions I've found for the Quicken installation executable give commands to disable that bit.  But, all that does it allow me to finish the installation.  No matter what I try, I can't get the actual program to run.  I've been using Quicken for at least 24 years.  As of right now, it's the ONLY thing keeping me tied to Windows.
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Chris_QPW said:
    And in the 2% market share there is like 100 distributions.  So you can't even build a "Linux version".  You have to build a Debian, Ubuntu, SUSE, Fedora, .... versions.

I'm an experienced software developer and laugh when folks say that "Quicken needs to get it's act together and make a Linux version". The Mac rewrite tells you everything you need to know as to why a Linux rewrite won't happen. Of that 2% that run Linux, how many Quicken licenses do you expect to sell to them? My bet is far, far less than even the 2%. How do you get your software development costs back on that? You don't. Especially when the Linux FOSS crowd will balk at paying what Quicken Inc would need charge to even try to break even.
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, and crypto will never take off either. :o
    Well, that aged well, didn't it?  ;)
  • Here's a direction that I think Quicken should seriously consider. I think the front-end display portion of the product and the back-end database portion of the product should be split out. They should be much less tied to the operating systems (like .net). Instead, more "open" tools should be utilized, such as MySQL or Postgres for the database. That way it would be mutli-platform capable. It would also give the more technical users of the product the ability to function in more of a client/server type environment. We could run the database portion on our backend linux servers. The front-end display portion could (for now) run on Windows/Mac The product would probably be Much more efficient and be the start of a nice way to work towards a completely platform independent product. Building the actual Quicken product on top of already open and platform independent underlying tools would open up a lot of doors that are not currently available to you by adding a completely new market. It would also inherently add mutli-user capabilities to the product which could potentially put you in the running to directly compete with your once parent company. I realize that a lot of your current user base is just looking for a one click install to run on a standalone PC, but your default installer could do just that and hide all of the separate pieces. Then just have the advanced instructions for the alternate installation methods which would give the more technical users exactly what they want. As you develop the front-end interfaces for the other platforms (mac, linux, etc), you could then offer the complete product on any platform. This will obviously take several years to complete, but your product would be much better and way more flexible giving us Linux users exactly what we're looking for.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Niemand Wichtig said: Here's a direction that I think Quicken should seriously consider. I think the front-end display portion of the product and the back-end database portion of the product should be split out.
    Great ideas - how much more are you willing to invest in the cost of Quicken to handle this non-revenue development ?
    OR - are you expecting to have Quicken become "free" like most of the other involved software...

QWin Deluxe Subscription - Win10
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    My crystal ball: desktop Quicken isn't going to get major development money to make the kind of front- back- end split described by @Niemand Wichtig. As Simplifi grows in functionality over time, that will become Quicken Inc's flagship product which people will want to use on their iPads and phones. The web is how you get multi-platform.

• candyheart
    candyheart Member
    I run Ubuntu and have Windows running in VirtualBox VM. The only reason I run Windows is for Quicken. The VM slows my system down CONSIDERABLY. I would really like to run quick in Ubuntu, or using Wine under Ubuntu. At this point I am exploring other options for Quicken!!
  • Forrest1
    Forrest1 Member
    We've been using Ubuntu linux for 15 years or so, and using Quicken. Originally we used a dual-boot to run Quicken under Windows, then a VM for several years: both of these are somewhat tedious.
    We've used Crossover for several years with great success, both with the "old" Quicken and with the subscription version. Codeweavers has good customer support for Crossover, which is nice since both Ubuntu and Quicken get updates that can cause glitches. We use it for business, and the small cost is well worth the time saved.
  • Aelnyon
    Aelnyon Member
    I have been using quicken in Windows since 2000. But, over the years, my hatred with windows keeps growing, and I am not going to go beyond Windows 7. And, as a disabled stay-at-home mom, I do not have the funds available to buy a Mac. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE may Quicken able to be used on a Linux system!!!!!