Quicken 2017 Doesn't Show Downloaded Transactions

Joe ConradJoe Conrad Member
edited January 11 in Investing (Windows)
Just upgraded to Q17; In one of my Investment registers, which has a linked "Cash/Checking" account - I ran an update and it downloaded transactions, but doesn't give me a window to match them at the bottom of the register, like Q16 and prev. versions did.  In one of Credit accounts, it downloaded and showed fine - Any ideas, or is this a bug in Q17?

Comments

• GoQwknGoQwkn Member
    edited October 2018
    I have the same exact issue. Upgraded from Q16 premier to Q17 premier. Linked cash account doesn't show the downloaded cash transaction despite the red flag in the account bar. Hovering over the flag indicates I have 4 downloaded transactions (as I would have expected). The investing account showed the downloaded dividend transaction.
  • Joe ConradJoe Conrad Member
    edited March 2017
    Well at least I am not alone.. Hopefully a bug that can be resolved soon and someone from Quicken reads this!
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    edited October 2018
    Have you checked to see if your preference setting has been changed by the upgrade, either at the individual account level or global setting? 
    If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(QM2007, Canadian user since '92)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited August 2018
    Any idea which settings to look at?
    edited December 2016

Any idea which settings to look at?

Don't have the exact wording right now but something to the effect of 
    • automatically accept downloaded transactions into register. You want to make sure it is turned off.
    If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018
    This is a bug in Quicken 2017.

(NOTE the bug is that the Downloaded Transactions tab will not appear in a Cash/Checking account linked to an investment account. No matter what settings you have.)
  • GoQwknGoQwkn Member
    edited January 11
    Until this bug is resolved, you may be able to use the following solution. I was able to get the register to "accept" the downloaded transactions by going to Edit>Preferences. In the dialog box Register > Downloaded transactions, check the box "Automatically add to banking registers". After clicking OK, the downloaded transactions were added to the account Cash register and the red flag next to the account name in the Accounts bar went away.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

Until this bug is resolved, you may be able to use the following solution. I was able to get the register to "accept" the downloaded transactions by going to Edit>Preferences. In the dialog box Register > Downloaded transactions, check the box "Automatically add to banking registers". After clicking OK, the downloaded transactions were added to the account Cash register and the red flag next to the account name in the Accounts bar went away.

Thanks for posting this workaround.  I thought that was the workaround, but I didn't have a confirmation on that it worked, so I didn't post it.
    edited March 2017
    Yes, thank you. I will try this.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018
    BTW a word of caution .
    When you change that option in the Edit -> Preferences, it is for all the registers.
    So make sure if you don't want your transactions in other registers to be automatically entered, you first go into each register and do your normal accepting of transactions.
    edited December 2016
    QPW said:

BTW a word of caution .
    When you change that option in the Edit -> Preferences, it is for all the registers.
    So make sure if you don't want your transactions in other registers to be automatically entered, you first go into each register and do your normal accepting of transactions.

Isn't this option also available on a per account basis?

• QPWQPW Member
    edited March 2017
    QPW said:

BTW a word of caution .

Linked cash/checking accounts are special.

They are in fact not really connected to the financial institution.
    It is the investment account that is connected to the financial institution.
    The transactions are downloaded there, and then when there is a transaction that affects the cash balance it is then moved to the linked cash/checking account.

This basically can be seen in say Quicken 2016 and below in that you will not see the Downloaded Transactions tab in the linked account until the transactions download.  And once accepted the Downloaded Transactions tab vanishes.

There is a similar behavior for QIF imports.  And for a time they had broken it in basically the same way.

In both cases you can't go to Edit Account Details -> Online Service and change the setting because it isn't available.
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for all the assistance.  I am going to try that automatic method until this is fixed.
  • Bill ROBBBill ROBB Member
    edited October 2016
    GoQwkn said:

I have the same exact issue. Upgraded from Q16 premier to Q17 premier. Linked cash account doesn't show the downloaded cash transaction despite the red flag in the account bar. Hovering over the flag indicates I have 4 downloaded transactions (as I would have expected). The investing account showed the downloaded dividend transaction.

Same problem!!!
  • Greg JacksonGreg Jackson Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the workaround, which is clever and good. We have no clue whether Quicken is aware of the bug, and/or there's a schedule for fixing it?
    edited March 2017
    I haven't heard anything from anyone Greg.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited December 2016

Have you checked to see if your preference setting has been changed by the upgrade, either at the individual account level or global setting? 

Unfortunately, the preference has no impact on this issue. No matter what setting you have for all accounts or for the specific investment account, the Downloaded Transactions tab will not display in linked cash accounts :-(
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

I have tried this workaround and it does sometimes work. Other times, the transactions are not automatically accepted - they just seem to disappear.

In those cases, I uninstall QW2017 and reinstall QW2016 so I can accept the downloaded transactions. Not a practical workaround at all :-(

edited December 2016

Thanks for the workaround, which is clever and good. We have no clue whether Quicken is aware of the bug, and/or there's a schedule for fixing it?

Quicken is aware of the bug.
    edited March 2017

I see several different people reporting they, too, have this issue, yet only 2 people have clicked the "me too" button at the top of the thread.

Please anyone having this issue be sure to click the "me too" button at the top of the thread.

• Rama SkeltonRama Skelton Member
    edited October 2016
    GoQwkn said:

Same problem!

Rama

• QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2016

Also Quicken Inc doesn't release a schedule for fixing things.  And they would be foolish to do that.  If they released a schedule for fixing things, and for whatever reason couldn't meet that schedule people would just complain more.

There is no advantage to releasing a schedule for fixing it.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

Are the times where they "vanish" different actions than the ones where automatic entry works?

The reason I ask is because I believe the problem is this.
    There are some actions that can be automatically accepted, but there are others where they want confirmation, like what lot to sell, and as such, they are never automatically accepted.  What normally happens in this case with automatic entry mode on, is again the Downloaded Transactions tab magically appears and you accept them that way.

With the linked account Downloaded Transactions tab not showing at all they are going to just stay in that hidden Downloaded Transactions tab.
  • CCCC Member
    edited October 2018
    After upgrading to 2017, go into your Account settings, Disable automatic downloading, restart and then reactivate Automatic downloads.  Worked for me and I now have all my transactions!  WooHoo!!
  • Jerry DamerowJerry Damerow Member
    edited January 2017
    I have exactly the same problem with a linked Charles Schwab account.  Nice to know I'm not alone but hope they get it fixed soon. 
    edited November 2016
    CC said:

After upgrading to 2017, go into your Account settings, Disable automatic downloading, restart and then reactivate Automatic downloads.  Worked for me and I now have all my transactions!  WooHoo!!

Message said it couldn't do this because there were downloaded transactions that were not accepted.  The problem is these transactions were not listed in the bottom window so I couldn't accept them.  There are red flags on my brokerage account and the linked cash account and when I right click on these it shows there are transactions to be accepted. 
    edited October 2016
    GoQwkn said:

Worked!  Thank you!
  • t.reigelmant.reigelman Member
    edited November 2016
    GoQwkn said:

Same Problem!!
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2016
    CC said:

Jerry Damerow did you try the workaround of enabling this option?
    Edit -> Preferences -> Downloaded transactions -> Automatically add to banking registers

Note you might have to go to a different register and back to see it refresh.

The workaround will not work for transactions that need the user to approve something, but work for most transactions.
  • Rama SkeltonRama Skelton Member
    edited October 2016
    CC said:

I tried this and it worked.I did go to the account register and hit "refresh as suggested. ( Problem was with two Merrill Lynch investment accounts that had linked  cash accounts to them.  Thanks... am keeping my fingers crossed).