Quicken 2017 Doesn't Show Downloaded Transactions

Comments

• strongcastrongca Member
    edited October 2016
    All of my accounts (checking, savings, and overdraft) at my bank wouldn't show the results of the downloaded transaction - even when I offered to let it add the transaction automatically to the banking registers.  I went to the Account List and edited each account at the bank - "Edit" button, then went to the Online Services tab and used the "Reset Account" button to reset the connection.  It worked tonight - whether it will continue to work is yet to be determined.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

Until this bug is resolved, you may be able to use the following solution. I was able to get the register to "accept" the downloaded transactions by going to Edit>Preferences. In the dialog box Register > Downloaded transactions, check the box "Automatically add to banking registers". After clicking OK, the downloaded transactions were added to the account Cash register and the red flag next to the account name in the Accounts bar went away.

Sell transactions would only be in the investment account, not in the linked cash account. I could discern no reason for the transactions that did not auto accept. They were payments - 2 were auto accepted and the other 3 were stuck.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

Until this bug is resolved, you may be able to use the following solution. I was able to get the register to "accept" the downloaded transactions by going to Edit>Preferences. In the dialog box Register > Downloaded transactions, check the box "Automatically add to banking registers". After clicking OK, the downloaded transactions were added to the account Cash register and the red flag next to the account name in the Accounts bar went away.

Strange.  Of course it was only a guess at what might be hanging them up.
  • Thomas RocheThomas Roche Member
    edited October 2016
    I have the exact same issue
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited October 2018
    Everyone with this problem, be sure to select the ME TOO button at the top of the page.
    edited December 2016
    QPW said:

Everyone with this problem, be sure to select the ME TOO button at the top of the page.

Second that!
    edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

Transactions for common payees I have accepted many times before. Amounts matched to the penny. Maybe it was the dates? I'll have to check.
  • wtjacksonwtjackson Member
    edited October 2016
    GoQwkn said:

I have the same exact issue. Upgraded from Q16 premier to Q17 premier. Linked cash account doesn't show the downloaded cash transaction despite the red flag in the account bar. Hovering over the flag indicates I have 4 downloaded transactions (as I would have expected). The investing account showed the downloaded dividend transaction.

Me, too.  For a linked checking account, the flag is set, but no transaction shown.  
  • tbone100tbone100 Member
    edited March 2017
    Yes, same problem. Please fix asap, so we don't have to workaround.
    edited December 2016
    tbone100 said:

Yes, same problem. Please fix asap, so we don't have to workaround.

Please be sure to click the "me too" button at the top of the page.
    edited October 2016
    GoQwkn said:

One reason it might ask is if the payment is for taxes.  Quicken wants to know which tax year the payment is for.  But if you click on the flag, the dialogue box pops up and you can answer.  Then the flag clears.  
    edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

Not in this case. One was a payment for my water bill. Not tax related.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

In reality, it is "interesting", but the fact really remains that we are in fact talking about making a workaround work for something that shouldn't be this way in the first place.
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

P.S.  There is also the workaround that I think Ms. Higgins pointed out somewhere in this thread that always works for people coming from Quicken 2016.  Open your data file in Quicken 2016 (say on another machine).

This year Quicken Inc introduce a feature that they don't talk about.
    Quicken 2017 no longer changes the data format in a way that makes in incompatible with Quicken 2016.  So a person can open a data file in Quicken 2017, and then open the same date file in Quicken 2016 (but not in an earlier version).
  • Joe ConradJoe Conrad Member
    edited October 2018
    Glad we're all in the same place.. and while the workaround, "works" I don't like to have my transactions auto. entered as I may miss something - I prefer to do my double check - So yes, the workaround works, but why would they break something that worked?  Especially since this looks more like a cosmetic upgrade.

As others have said if you have the same issue, please hit the "me too" button so Quicken gets on this and releases R3 - As I just looked and apparently we're on R2 already!?!
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2016

Glad we're all in the same place.. and while the workaround, "works" I don't like to have my transactions auto. entered as I may miss something - I prefer to do my double check - So yes, the workaround works, but why would they break something that worked?  Especially since this looks more like a cosmetic upgrade.

As others have said if you have the same issue, please hit the "me too" button so Quicken gets on this and releases R3 - As I just looked and apparently we're on R2 already!?!

"but why would they break something that worked?"

Because they didn't understand what they were changing.

There are many reasons why they might have needed to change something in this area, but code like this can get quite complicated.  You change one thing, and it has an effect that you don't count on.
    edited October 2016

One thing they needed to fix is the reconciliation of linked accounts.  I hope they've done that, at least.
  • LagunaJimLagunaJim Member
    edited October 2016
    I have a contact at Quicken, and I reported this several days ago and just reported this article and all the folks sharing the same concern.  I have confidence the problem is getting looked at.
    edited October 2016
    I have confirmation from inside Quicken that this issue is getting their maximum attention - no time frame for a resolution though..
    edited October 2016

issues like this should never get past testing, but as a former programmer I can tell you that one minute change in thousands of lines of code can have unforseen results.  I repeat though that it should not have gotten through testing phases - this is a pretty routine configuration of accounts for users.

The truth is that Quicken needs to be rewritten from scratch - they've been building on and patching the same code set for years and years now.  If the product remains viable - meaning if the new owners can grow the installed base, then maybe they'll invest in this endeavor.  Otherwise it will continue to be patched and patched and ......
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited November 2018

This didn't get past testing (at least not beta testing).

But yeah the touched something they didn't quite understand.  :-)

BTW I really hope they don't "invest in this endeavor" (total rewrite from scratch).

Yes I'm sure the code is a mess (what 30+ year old program code wouldn't be!), but the truth is that the rewrite would be even more painful.

Just ask a Mac user.  It was decided to rewrite Quicken Mac after 2007.  New version didn't get out until 2010 (Quicken Essentials).  Even though there a have been a couple of years that you could say it was "stalled", here we are in 2016 with the release of Quicken 2017 Mac.  It has yet to feature parity with Quicken Mac 2007 let alone Quicken Windows Deluxe.

One of the things that really hits me when I look at all the Mac posts about, where is this feature and where is that one, is that there are so many features in Quicken that you just take for granted.  They even at times seem "trivial", but they are very important to some set of users.

The new CEO of Quicken Inc stated that they were hoping to get feature parity with Quicken Windows Deluxe in about a year.  I think that is a VERY optimistic estimate.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

The other workaround not mentioned would be to Unlink the linked cash account until the bug is fixed. You might even discover the linked cash account is unnecessary.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser
    edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

The other workaround not mentioned would be to Unlink the linked cash account until the bug is fixed. You might even discover the linked cash account is unnecessary.
  • Joe ConradJoe Conrad Member
    edited October 2016
    GoQwkn said:

I use the acct as my primary checking acct with Fidelity - So the linked is an option, otherwise I would unlink it ;)
  • QPWQPW Member
    edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

I wouldn't recommend unlinking the account as a workaround.

I don't use linked accounts, but I have played around with it a bit.
    And let's just say that switching back an forth isn't always 100% accurate.
  • Greg JacksonGreg Jackson Member
    edited October 2016
    GoQwkn said:

I'll second that: switching back and forth can screw up balances and duplicate and/or lose transactions. Very messy to clean up. And linked accounts are much easier to reconcile with "bank" statements for cash management accounts and other investment accounts with checkwriting..
  • John RobbinsJohn Robbins Member
    edited October 2016
    GoQwkn said:

I have the same exact issue. Upgraded from Q16 premier to Q17 premier. Linked cash account doesn't show the downloaded cash transaction despite the red flag in the account bar. Hovering over the flag indicates I have 4 downloaded transactions (as I would have expected). The investing account showed the downloaded dividend transaction.

Same problem here. Loaded the file back into Q-2016 and the download window appeared there. Definitely a Q-2017 issue.
  • Larry LewarkLarry Lewark Member
    edited October 2016
    GoQwkn said:

Same problem. Tried a back up. Tried deactivating and reactivating account.

edited December 2016
    GoQwkn said:

Agree. I would only try the unlinking if no other method existed and I would for sure make a back up before trying it.
  • edited October 2016
    GoQwkn said:

That workaround works for me. It's not showing in the bottom window like we were used to in '16 version but at least I can categorize the downloaded transactions and get the red flag to go away. :)